6.8 SPC Forums banner

Anyone hunting with red dots?

8K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  chewbacca 
Doable yes, preferably no, what the setup lacks is precision beyond 150 yards. One of the rifles I built for a friend has a Bushel TRS25 with 3x magnifier. He killed a nice buck this year with it at 150 yards but make the decision to replace with a 2-7 or 3-9 scope. With the dot magnified it is about the size of the kill zone that far out.
Excellent point I agree.
I have several Sig Romeo5 on various AR platforms (but not my 6.8). The red dots are fun on my AR pistols and my 5.56 16” barrel for fastest target acquirement for short range.
Parallax is a huge problem for me at 75yds+.
My personal opinion is if you are shooting tactical or running/squealing pigs at 75yds - 150yds effectively, I would look at either a 3x or 5x magnification prism scope with illumination. Several folks mentioned various options above. The illumination makes a huge difference for fast target acquisition, even in broad daylight.
I like the Sig Bravo5. Lots of good reviews and product comparisons online versus the Vortex Spitfire, Spitfire II, Bravo series, ACOQ, Burris, and Bushnell.
Prism scopes will cost twice what the red dot costs, but like all tactical optics, it’s built for a specialty purpose. I routinely swap out my Romeo5, Bravo5, AGM Rattler Thermal, and Vortex Crossfire II Hog Hunter out on my various rigs for various purposes.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.