6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slowly building up a 6.8 for hunting in western NC and Florida. Thinking about going with a red dot to save weight and help speed up close in shots, terrain keeps shots short in my location. Would a 2MOA dot be a poor choice inside of 150 yards? How many of you use dots? What brand and model?

·
Registered
956 Posts
One of my 6.8's is equipped with an EOTech EXPS3-4 and a 3x magnifier. Works great and I can shoot MOA out to 100 - 150 yds easily.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I used a 2 moa aimpoint for years. fastest thing ever under 50 yards. Now I use a 1-4x. You can train your self to be fast under 50 yards with it on 1x and still have the 4x for 100+ yard shots. all depends what your hunting area is like.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Doable yes, preferably no, what the setup lacks is precision beyond 150 yards. One of the rifles I built for a friend has a Bushel TRS25 with 3x magnifier. He killed a nice buck this year with it at 150 yards but make the decision to replace with a 2-7 or 3-9 scope. With the dot magnified it is about the size of the kill zone that far out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not a poor choice at all. Use the optic that you like and are comfortable with, and know the limitations of your set up. I have shot several deer with my 6.8s with a 1 MOA Eotech and a 2 MOA Aimpoint. All deer shot under 100 yards but I would feel comfortable taking a broadside shot out to 200.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I have a Burris Fastfire III but also use a 1-4x Trijicon on 1x for two-eyes open engagements. I do like how light the rifle is with the red dot. If you intend to use a red dot at longer ranges, I think its important to get a high quality unit with optics that are parallax free. Many red dots have parallax set-up for short distance and make shooting accurate, even at 100 yards, problematic.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good point about the parallax. I installed a FastFire III on a Garand and the parallax was obvious at 50 yards and ridiculous at 100 yards. POI was just good enough for a 50 yard deer shot, not much beyond. I ended up replacing it with a Leupold 1-4x HOG scope on a CASM mount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my area (western North Carolina) you'd almost have to try to shoot farther than 100 yards unless you shoot across a field.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Red dots..........

Only on pistols (G-20 10MM works great) and Rossi 92 44mag. Dot gets too big for me beyond 50 to 60 yds or so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have used EO tech for jump shots & under 100 with goods results..... a single dot is harder for me to track with.
I really like the Leupold 1-4 vxr as an alternative that gives red dot use up close but plenty of magnification out to 200. They run about $500 & very light.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I've hunted with gold dots, but never with red dots before ;-)

Reactions: Flatwoods84

·
Registered
698 Posts
It can certainly be done and they have their place, but the real question is how comfortable are you shooting at Your expects ranges? Could you consistently make an accurate and ethical shot? If yes, then it could be a good choice. However, most people are more comfortable with a little magnification, even at 150 yards. It will also give you the advantage of more precision and target acquisition and ID. I find that the majority of people who want to hunt with a red dot end up going to a scope after a few hunts.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I have several Aimpoint PRO's and hunt mostly similar areas to you, Georgia right up to the NC and FL borders. They are more than adequate for most hunting here, in the 35 years or so that I have been hunting this region, I never have missed a shot because it was to far or passed one up for the same reason. I think the longest shot I took was about a 100 yards and that was with an open sighted muzzleloader. Having said that, most of the time, I now use a Leupold VX-6, 1-6X. When set to ZERO power the FOV is about twice as big as the Aimpoint, technically the red dot claims unlimited FOV, but that is only true if you keep both eyes open, you can do that on the VX-6 too if you want at zero power. The VX-6's I have also have the illuminated dot and I have the option of going all the way up to 6X for the range or that rare long shot. The vast majority of places I hunt I adjust the scope to what looks best as a compromise of magnification vs fov and then check the setting, it is almost always at about 1.75X. I can shoot pretty darn good shots with the 2 moa dot at a 100 yards, but I also have a magnifier that I can use for sighting in. The advantage of the red dot, is it is lighter and cheaper, the advantage of the VX-6 is it has a much bigger fov at zero X and it still can go all the way up 6X, albeit at more weight and $.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I thought about it for pig hunting at close ranges. I still have an eotech on my 5.56 AR, and wouldn't hesitate to use it for a pig hunt but I always end up grabbing my 6.8mm. I ended up going with a vortex 1-6x with a horseshoe illuminated reticle. I think it's a very versatile scope, at 1x it's almost as fast as the eotech but has the option to zoom with so you can reasonably see a target at 200 yards.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Scope with an IR night be better, even if its a light weight one.

Keep in mind the Sight Height above the Bore line. Even with my Mini 6.8 and ARP I got them mixed up and was shooting way high one time till I looked at the Scope Height on the Ballistics Program at the scope height.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use a 2x Truglo on my 5.56 AR pistol, but it's my riding-around-on-the-cart gun. It's light, short, and handy. I carry it on the chance I'll see hogs from the cart, and sometimes I do. My full time hog guns are both 6.8s though, one with NV and the other with a 2.5x10 Nikon. In my old age I find I need the magnification more than anything.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I use a 2x Truglo on my 5.56 AR pistol, but it's my riding-around-on-the-cart gun. It's light, short, and handy. I carry it on the chance I'll see hogs from the cart, and sometimes I do. My full time hog guns are both 6.8s though, one with NV and the other with a 2.5x10 Nikon. In my old age I find I need the magnification more than anything.
I'm thinking about putting one of the 2x Truglo's on my x39 AR pistol. Did you use a riser under the Truglo and if so how high was the riser you used? Old age has got my eyes too. LOL

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm thinking about putting one of the 2x Truglo's on my x39 AR pistol. Did you use a riser under the Truglo and if so how high was the riser you used? Old age has got my eyes too. LOL
Yes, I did use a riser. I just happened to have one laying around. I don't know the measurements, but it's about the lowest you can use. The Truglo mount gives you the rest of the height needed. It works well for me, puts my eye right in line with the sight. I've only had the pistol a month or so, but the sighting in and shooting twenty rounds or so after was right in line with what I was looking for. It's very loud shooting under the cart roof, so I added a Silencerco on it to tame the noise and it's perfect to use on the cart.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yes, I did use a riser. I just happened to have one laying around. I don't know the measurements, but it's about the lowest you can use. The Truglo mount gives you the rest of the height needed. It works well for me, puts my eye right in line with the sight. I've only had the pistol a month or so, but the sighting in and shooting twenty rounds or so after was right in line with what I was looking for. It's very loud shooting under the cart roof, so I added a Silencerco on it to tame the noise and it's perfect to use on the cart.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like a 1/2" riser. I'll give it a try. They can be real loud. LOL I put a Kaw Valley linear brake on mine. It helps, but is still loud.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts