6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, just checking to make sure I'm not crazy. I have a number of the dummy cartridges in different calibers for this tool, and they are all a little bit wide to accept whatever pills I'm trying to find the max COAL for. But when I broke out the one for 6.8 SPC today to try and find COAL for two different varieties of Hornady 110gr pills (.277 diameter) I bought, none of the bullets fit in the 6.8 SPC dummy cartridge. The bullets did fit when I put them in the case meplat first all the way up to the cannelure, but that does no one any good. I tried running the dummy case through the 6.8 REM die expander ball just a bit to see if the case was too small, and that didn't work either.

Has anyone else ever had this issue before? Or are .277" pills normally difficult to seat in 6.8 SPC brass? If so, then what can I do to fit pills in this dummy cartridge? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Never had an issue putting bullets in case. However if you try to run it in a resizing die then yes, bullets probably will not fit. Try partially seating a bullet and drive it back out to open up the modified case mouth

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never had an issue putting bullets in case. However if you try to run it in a resizing die then yes, bullets probably will not fit. Try partially seating a bullet and drive it back out to open up the modified case mouth
Thanks. I'm more curious about the difficulty (if any) there is with seating .277" pills in 6.8 SPC brass, though. I've rolled lots of rifle cartridges, but I've never dealt with brass that was this difficult to seat pills in...

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I use fired cases resized for the shoulder only when I make brass to use on the Hornady OAL Tool. I take the bushing out of my bushing die. Not something you can do with typical ball-expander dies.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Thanks. I'm more curious about the difficulty (if any) there is with seating .277" pills in 6.8 SPC brass, though. I've rolled lots of rifle cartridges, but I've never dealt with brass that was this difficult to seat pills in...
No issue .277 bullets in 6.8 brass, no more than any other caliber if you are resizing correctly. What dies do you have?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No issue .277 bullets in 6.8 brass, no more than any other caliber if you are resizing correctly. What dies do you have?
I use Lee dies, but I've never had to re-size or otherwise mess with the Hornady dummy cartridges drill out for use with their tool, aside from chamfering. All of the other ones I have accept their respective caliber pills with no problems, except for this one. I'm wondering if it's just this one case....

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If so, just checking to make sure I'm not crazy. I have a number of the dummy cartridges in different calibers for this tool, and they are all a little bit wide to accept whatever pills I'm trying to find the max COAL for. But when I broke out the one for 6.8 SPC today to try and find COAL for two different varieties of Hornady 110gr pills (.277 diameter) I bought, none of the bullets fit in the 6.8 SPC dummy cartridge. The bullets did fit when I put them in the case meplat first all the way up to the cannelure, but that does no one any good. I tried running the dummy case through the 6.8 REM die expander ball just a bit to see if the case was too small, and that didn't work either.

Has anyone else ever had this issue before? Or are .277" pills normally difficult to seat in 6.8 SPC brass? If so, then what can I do to fit pills in this dummy cartridge? Thanks.
I use the 6.8SPC Hornady Modified case and don't have a problem.

Might I suggest that you measure the case neck to see if maybe they didn't size the modified case correctly?

Stranger things have happened and I am sure that Hornady will take care of it.

My modified 6.8SPC case works fine for me.

If this was April 1st, I wouldn't have responded to this

Silver

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the 6.8SPC Hornady Modified case and don't have a problem.

Might I suggest that you measure the case neck to see if maybe they didn't size the modified case correctly?

Stranger things have happened and I am sure that Hornady will take care of it.

My modified 6.8SPC case works fine for me.

If this was April 1st, I wouldn't have responded to this

Silver
Given that all of the other HDY modified cases I have work just fine like you described, maybe I might have just gotten the one bad one that happens every so often...which would make sense, given my luck.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I have a .277 deprimer rod from a Lee Classic handloader that can open it up so a bullet will slide through it.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Maybe contact Hornady and they will send you another one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.