6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any experiance with the 260 remington in an ar10 ? accuracy ? recoil ? reliability in an ar platform? any info would be great. thanks 8)

·
Registered
60 Posts
jg30 said:
any experiance with the 260 remington in an ar10 ? accuracy ? recoil ? reliability in an ar platform? any info would be great. thanks 8)

The only experiance I have is with the .308s from DPMS. My 16" AP4 ran like a Swiss watch until 4k rounds at which time the gas rings were toast. I replaced the rings, installed a new extractor, extractor spring, and replaced the buffer spring with a Superior Shooting System unit and it is running super smooth again. I also have a 24" LR308 tricked out but have only put 600rds through the tube. It is deadly accurate and has been 100% reliable in the 600rds. If the 260s are built the same I'd say go for it. You'll hear a lot of DPMS bashing on the web sites but I tend to think for as many rifles as DPMS puts out the door the number of complaints is small. The biggest re-accuring complaint is tight match chambers. The AP4 does not have a match chamber and I've shot every brand of ammo through that thing. The LR series of rifles have a match chamber and when people try to shoot surplus ammo through them they have extraction issues, most just do a light chamber polish to cure this. I only put good commercial ammo through the 24" LR as it was made for tack driving. You know they can make your 260 like an AP4 which would be a light handy hunting/brush gun. I don't know how much ballistic loss there would be with a 16" barrel on a 260? But you can order your rifle with a 16', 18", or 20" tube. I also believe the complaints are more with their 5.56 ARs than their big bore counter parts. If you do have a problem their CS is excellant.

·
Registered
13,878 Posts
The 260 or 6.5 Creedmore beats the 308 in everyway, lower recoil and accuracy.
I would go with the Creedmore that Hornady is pushing and DPMS is selling.

·
Registered
60 Posts
constructor said:
The 260 or 6.5 Creedmore beats the 308 in everyway, lower recoil and accuracy.
I would go with the Creedmore that Hornady is pushing and DPMS is selling.
I agree that they beat it ballisticlly but .308 and 7.62 ammo is everywhere, lots of bullet choices, less expensive, and for anything inside 600 yards the .308 will do fine. The recoil of either of my DPMS .308s is next to nothing compared to a bolt gun. The TAP line of ammo for the .308 totally rocks as well. Those rounds are great but I try to buy AR style rifles in the most popular calibers. Even the 6.8 ARs are far more prevalent than the .260 or brand new 6.5. and will continue to be. IMHO :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've already got a 308 bolt gun and the 260 stood out as a another good hunting round. I like the numbers on the 6.5 creedmoor but hornady doesn't show any reloading dies as yet. Basicly just looking for another ar with longer range than the 223, and both 6.8s. I had a m1a and the accuracy just wasn't there for the money spent and I didn't want to put alot into it other than good glass , mags, and ammo. Does DPMS use a specific mag like armalite or do they use the fn/fal mag?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well the good new in the magazine department is that CProducts is now making SS 20rd mags for the DPMS LR308 series of rifles.

Both my .308s by DPMS are very accurate. The 16" barreled AP4 will shoot just over moa at 100yrds with match ammo and 1.5moa with the Hornady TAP line of ammo. Surplus 7.62 goes anywhere from 1.8" to 2 1/4" at 100yrds but that's machine gun ammo.

The 24" LR308 with 10x glass, two stage trigger, prs stock, bipod, and Federal "Gold Match" 168gr BTHP will put 5 rounds into one ragged hole, .48", at 100yrds. Okay so I did that once but with the Hornady 110gr, 155gr, and 168gr TAP AMAX it will put 5 rounds into .78" to .80" if I do my part. You can go to the DPMS website and see some targets people have posted there, they're very accurate out of the box rifles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts