6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a chance to make a trade for a 78 model BAR in 30 06. It appears to be in pretty nice condition from the pictures I have seen but the owner says it is matte black finish and I can't find any reference to anything other than a blued finish back then. Actually, he says he has owned it since 78 and he got it used but doesn't know if it was refinished or not. It is what I assume to be a Grade I with no engraving. It does have a nice checkered walnut stock. Anyone have any ideas? I can try and post a few pics but can't really tell much from them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i do not believe that finish is factory. Looks very matte. Bead blasted ? Painted ?
my bet is that one was a rusty beater and it got bead blasted.
If it works and the price is right ? It would not bother me. Especially if I was dragging it through the woods anyhow. I would shine a light in the bore and check the chamber etc. I would also pull the forearm off and take a look. Look at the crown..
it also appears as though someone previously over oiled the inside of the receiver as the Butt Stock has staining where it meets the receiver. Someone left the gun propped up in a corner or vertical rack for extended periods of time. In either warm condations or over oiled the innards.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i do not believe that finish is factory. Looks very matte. Bead blasted ? Painted ?
my bet is that one was a rusty beater and it got bead blasted.
If it works and the price is right ? It would not bother me. Especially if I was dragging it through the woods anyhow. I would shine a light in the bore and check the chamber etc. I would also pull the forearm off and take a look. Look at the crown..
it also appears as though someone previously over oiled the inside of the receiver as the Butt Stock has staining where it meets the receiver. Someone left the gun propped up in a corner or vertical rack for extended periods of time. In either warm condations or over oiled the innards.
^^^^^^^^^^^
This

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also noticed how much of a mismatch the finish on the trigger guard is to the rest of the finish. He wanted to trade for an AR that I would have about $500 in. I told him I would have to pass.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Man, somebody royally f%cked up that Browning finish! If the internals were good I'd maybe offer him beater value for it, nothing close to your $500 AR. If the stock wasn't all dinged up you could have it re-blued (assume steel receiver......don't know if they had alloy receivers that early) and end up with a basic Grade I BAR. Otherwise just a "truck" gun. As aside, I could never get anywhere near the AR platform accuracy out of my now safe queen 7mm BAR. You can check the manf. date here........ I'd pass

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail.asp?id=18

·
10,536 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know right. I always wondered why they didn't come up with a different name since it is a completely different rifle.
Oh and I told him this morning I would have to pass on it. Thanks for all the help. You too Brian.

·
10,536 Posts
Any time !

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Had a BAR of about that vintage in 338 Win Mag ... had a very nice blued finish and beautiful wood. Gave it to my middle son so he'd have a chambering larger than 7mm Rem Mag.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Well, for obvious reasons I have to post on this one. I'd really like to pick up a sample in 338 Win mag some day. If for some reason I moved to AK I would "tell" my wife that it was a necessity.
Good job steering him away from that one guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts