6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm an extreme newbie. This is the first forum I have ever entered. I appreciate all of the info. this forum has provided. I am building my 1st AR, and frankly my first firearm. The knowledge this forum has offered is greatly appreciated. My lower is built, more later, I'll cut to the chase:

I'm ok on most of the build basics. What I don't know/undestand I will ask and research. I was set to order a RRA A4 Upper, mid-length gas tube, Free Float 1/2 quad rail, and flat top gas block. I called RRA today and they are 12-14 weeks on delivery. Stag Arms can deliver in two weeks, but only offer the CAR gas tube. Is the RRA upper worth the wait? I was hoping to have the build done in time for the gun deer season, but the delivery time won't make it from RRA. If I go with Stag, I'll have to go aftermarket to free float, and change the gas tube if that is advised.

If it helps, myself and kids will be using the gun for deer, varmints, and plinking. I will be using factory ammo initially, but will dive into reloading in the near future. I have read comments regarding excess gas pressure in the CAR gas tube. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
onmyown said:
Hello Everyone,

I'm an extreme newbie. This is the first forum I have ever entered. I appreciate all of the info. this forum has provided. I am building my 1st AR, and frankly my first firearm. The knowledge this forum has offered is greatly appreciated. My lower is built, more later, I'll cut to the chase:

I'm ok on most of the build basics. What I don't know/undestand I will ask and research. I was set to order a RRA A4 Upper, mid-length gas tube, Free Float 1/2 quad rail, and flat top gas block. I called RRA today and they are 12-14 weeks on delivery. Stag Arms can deliver in two weeks, but only offer the CAR gas tube. Is the RRA upper worth the wait? I was hoping to have the build done in time for the gun deer season, but the delivery time won't make it from RRA. If I go with Stag, I'll have to go aftermarket to free float, and change the gas tube if that is advised.

If it helps, myself and kids will be using the gun for deer, varmints, and plinking. I will be using factory ammo initially, but will dive into reloading in the near future. I have read comments regarding excess gas pressure in the CAR gas tube. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy
Welcome aboard Randy. The STAG will shoot the SSA Combat Loads, so don't worry that it has a Carbine legth gas system.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I will give Stag a call.

·
Registered
69 Posts
onmyown said:
Thanks for the input. I will give Stag a call.

I would recommend that you give Pete a call at AR15sales.com (also known as Legal-Transfers). He has 'em in stock, and has them advertised for $465 shipped instead of the $525 + shipping directly from Stag.

(I placed my own order with him yesterday)

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Colt is right, go to AR15.com and click the "Equipment Exchange" tab, then go to the "uppers, upper parts, barrel" section and read the ads. You'll see Legal Transfers posting $465 Stag 6.8 uppers complete including shipping. That's a discount off retail plus included shipping. There are other deals in the Exchange, but that's the best Stag price. He also sells the RRA uppers also.

Many times you can find the uppers at dealers when the factory is quoting back orders. The orders for dealers are filled and the dealers have them while the factory is back logged for a few weeks. If the dealers are out, then buy direct from Stag.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=382725

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the heads up.
I called Pete and placed an order today.
I still have 10-12 days of anxiousness, but that's
better than 12 weeks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts