6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from the farm this afternoon with a 8 point Buck taken at 0720 Saturday morning from my "shooting shack":

Interior has swivel Bass Boat seat with additional "drop in" shelf that provides 360 deg of support for sandbags.

The far tree line is 600 yds away. There are "T" posts every 100 ft for ranging with white markers tied on each 100 yd post.

One shot quartering away at 80 yards...and he dropped in his tracks. Round was SSA 110g Pro Hunter in Commercial load.

Weapon of choice was the used 14" Cardinal barreled 6.8 upper recently advertised on the forum and bought from Paulo last week...
It performed admirably. I did not fire for group but after initial sight-in at 50 yds I fired two sighter's 1.75" high at 100 yds to confirm a 250 yd zero. Both shots were separated by only 1/2".

Only problem....Make note to self:

DO NOT fire short barreled rifles with FSC-30....In the shooting shack without hearing protection....!

I should have know better...but my GOD...I thought the building had taken an incoming hit... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Normally all my barrels extend out the sliding windows.... A 14" does not.

Kerry

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
That is great. Glad you put it to good use.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After field dressing the buck I decided to leave the gut pile about 125 yds South of my position and come back later in the afternoon to see if it would attract any Coyotes.

Sure enough...about 4:30 one showed up and chewed around on it for about 10 mins. But I made a mistake. I had left the pile far enough away that the Yote could not catch my scent. The problem is that one of my neighbors has a dog that is a mirror image of a Coyote...only fatter and she wears a white flea collar. At 125 yards I could not be CERTAIN this Yote did not have a flea collar so...I waited for it to come closer. It did come within 60 yards and I was able to confirm it was not the neighbor's dog. But about the time I decided to take the shot...it scented me and spooked running directly away in the tall field grass. All I could see were glimpses of the tops of it's back and shoulders. The position I was in was a little awkward and the forward vertical grip would not allow me on target without contacting the shelf surface...forcing me to fire with the AR on it's side...ejection port up.

Did I mention this thing in a small room is LOUD...???

I took the shot and the Yote went down, but I could not see it once it dropped into the tall grass. When I went to check it...all I found was the spot where it had dropped leaving blood and scat...and a blood trail that I followed for about 150 yards until it was too dark to spot any more blood. I never found the carcase and the lack of blood volume and the dark blood color indicated It was likely not a fatal shot. But I certainly put a crimp in his activities for the day...

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
nice work, and yes sir those FSC30 is loud, I was shooting between a 30.06 and and a 7mm magmun and those guys said I was too loud :D :D

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Nice deer, sorry you lost the coyote, but I bet there will be more.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cool, congrats. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
marinesg1012 said:
...sorry you lost the coyote, but I bet there will be more.
I'll be going back down later in the week to get a Doe for my Ex. By that time the local Coyotes may have cleaned up all that's left of the gut pile, but I'll add another to it.

I hated not finding the Yote I shot but I think it was the result of not being comfortable shooting the Ar on it's side. First time I ever shot one in anything but a vertical position. I have no idea how that shifts the impact point...but it has to have an influence.

Last year with a 7mm-08 I took one female Yote at 296 yards as she was trotting across the field and another female at 145 yards cutting across the field diagonally at a full run. Knocked her down with the first shot that went through her gut and then finished her with a rare second shot when she tried to get up.

I need to spend more time killing Coyote's as they are thick now. I hear packs of them every night and you can't walk the field roads without having to avoid their scat everywhere.

Kerry

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well done on the buck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is the 14" barrel on a SBR or comp pinned to make 16"? I'm waiting on a 12.5 MRP barrel for my SBR. That is a nice buck. Going out in the morning for Elk.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bushmasterar15 said:
Is the 14" barrel on a SBR or comp pinned to make 16"? I'm waiting on a 12.5 MRP barrel for my SBR. That is a nice buck. Going out in the morning for Elk.
It is a 14" with the FSC-30 pinned and silver soldered for a permanent install making the minimum 16".

Kerry

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
owenslee said:
marinesg1012 said:
I'll be going back down later in the week to get a Doe for my Ex. By that time the local Coyotes may have cleaned up all that's left of the gut pile, but I'll add another to it.

I hated not finding the Yote I shot but I think it was the result of not being comfortable shooting the Ar on it's side. First time I ever shot one in anything but a vertical position. I have no idea how that shifts the impact point...but it has to have an influence.

Last year with a 7mm-08 I took one female Yote at 296 yards as she was trotting across the field and another female at 145 yards cutting across the field diagonally at a full run. Knocked her down with the first shot that went through her gut and then finished her with a rare second shot when she tried to get up.

I need to spend more time killing Coyote's as they are thick now. I hear packs of them every night and you can't walk the field roads without having to avoid their scat everywhere.

Kerry
When you get a coyote make sure you post up pictures, I would like to see what a VMAX of the 90 grainers will do to a yote or two.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
marinesg1012 said:
owenslee said:
marinesg1012 said:

Kerry
When you get a coyote make sure you post up pictures, I would like to see what a VMAX of the 90 grainers will do to a yote or two.
I'm headed down at 0400 ...will let you know the results... but will be shooting 110g Pro Hunters. Trying to use up the cheap $10.82 / box SSA from the Sportsman's Guide Deal last Spring... :mrgreen:

Kerry

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
owenslee said:
marinesg1012 said:
owenslee said:
marinesg1012 said:

Kerry
I'm headed down at 0400 ...will let you know the results... but will be shooting 110g Pro Hunters. Trying to use up the cheap $10.82 / box SSA from the Sportsman's Guide Deal last Spring... :mrgreen:

Kerry
Very cool let us know how it turns out, I hope to kill some yotes this winter, plan on using the the VMAX and the SandB and maybe the varmiter rounds from SSA

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well...I'm back and ....No Joy.

Conditions were way too windy and temps in the high 20's. I suspect everything was staying bedded... out of the wind. I heard two howling about 300 yds out just after dark last night but never saw them. Unfortunately we can't use NVD to hunt them in Missouri....Found an area this morning in high grass with a lot of natural depressions where a pack had recently bedded down. Looked to be 12-15 total.

Will try again Sunday thru Tuesday...

Kerry

·
Registered
257 Posts
marinesg1012 said:
owenslee said:
marinesg1012 said:
owenslee said:
marinesg1012 said:

Kerry

Kerry
Very cool let us know how it turns out, I hope to kill some yotes this winter, plan on using the the VMAX and the SandB and maybe the varmiter rounds from SSA
If I was going for yotes the round I would use is the 85 grain Barnes. 3000 + FPS and less drop than any other round out to 500 yards with excellent terminal preformance. If I can get around to it I will post the gel test this week end

Art-SSA

1 - 20 of 22 Posts