6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just had another ARP barrel delivered yesterday. This one was a 12.5” , 6.8 SPC, 3R, Scout. Threw it together yesterday. Hit the range today, spur of the moment after work. Ran several patches of Montana Extreme through the barrel. It cleaned up quick. Made sure the chamber was clean.

I had a bunch of Hornady 120gr SST factory ammo that shoots well through a ARP 16” Scout that I really like. I didn’t play nice with the barrel. I just shot it. Just like the other four I own. I fired a little over 20 rounds. Adjusting the gas block, getting my ejection right and making several scope adjustments. I was shooting it with my Omega 300 Suppressor. (I didn’t die or blow up).

settled in for my first five shot group. Super windy. I would hold and wait for the wind to drop and shoot. The wind was bad enough to blow my sunglasses off the bench. As always ARP delivered again! I have two 6.8 barrels and two SIX5 barrels and all shoot really well and I have pretty much shot it all when it comes to AR barrels.

This was my first 5 shot group rounds 22-26 on a new barrel. The first four stacked in there at .456 . The fifth shot was out for a group of 1.087. The hold on the shot felt great, follow through was solid. But we all know the game. New barrel, factory ammo, wind and my usual choke the fifth when I’m shooting tight.

I can’t believe how well this barrel cleans up. Got it home ran four patches through it with Montana Extreme solvent. Went and drank a couple cold ones. Came back ran two dry patches through it. Another patch of Montana Extreme. Clean!!! I thought, no way! So I ran three patches of Wipe out accelerator and three patches of wipe out. Let it soak for 1/2 hour. Ran a dry patch through it. Nothing! No color... Clean. I am more than impressed.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 16” ARP “Scout” rocks. I smoked this buck with Factory Hornady 120 SST at the 270’sh yard mark. Bang/Flop!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,508 Posts
Yup, my 16" ARP 6.8 shoots sub .5" at 100, so long as the loose nut behind the trigger is in spec. LOL And, that's with factory loads too. H's barrels just flat shoot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hit the range today. Shot a box of SSA 110gr Accubond. Shot it for three shot groups at 100 and 200 yards. It held 1 MOA. Had a weird thing going on. If I was over gassed. Ejecting at 1 to 2 O’Clock. I always had a second shot “Flyer”. Once the adjustable gas block was tightened up several clicks the groups tightened back up and the issue went away. For example. If I was over gassed. A three shot group at 200 would have two almost touching and it was always the 2nd shot that was out. For a 2” group.

After I shot the SSA factory stuff. It was almost dark. I had some 110gr handloads that shoot real well in my 6.8 , 16” Scout profile, 5R ARP. So I shot 3 at 100 yards. Made a scope adjustment To get my 100 zero.

I put 2 3/4 MOA elevation on the scope and shot 5 at the 200 yard line. I was more than impressed. But I had that damn 2nd round flyer.

I’m going to load some a little longer (COAL)Adjust my gas block in the morning with the first couple shots and try it again in the morning.

Another issue I noticed when I got home. The direct attach Omega 300 Suppressor I was using. Was slightly loose. it was tight when I started. I’ll see how it all works out in the morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just loaded some of the 110gr Sierra Pro Hunters up with the same load as the pictured load above but I loaded them at a overall length of 2.350 that should put me about 10 Thou off the lands.

I’m using a “CUT” 10 round ASC magazine to let me feed that overall length. I get them at cost so their cheap. If I would have cut the mag just a little bit more I would be able to run a full 10 rounds. With the length of the Current cut I can load 8 rounds @ 3.350. Which is plenty for hunting.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts