6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it begins. Replaced a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel with 6.8ARP in a donor Axis ll.
Both are 18" but the ARP has a lighter profile and much lighter. Thanks to all who posted up their builds and to sjb67 for the tools and gages.

·
Super Moderator
12,219 Posts
Looking good!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That blast grit in the barrel nut was alot of fun wasn't it :)
I gave up before I went caveman on it and ordered one from EABCO. The original is still on the 6.5CM bbl. (This is the short version, I'll save the tale of woe for later lol).

Reactions: earlytom

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That is one, crazy, cheap-a$$ stock on the Axis II! I plan on dropping this in a Boyd's eventually but all extra funds are going into a PRS build right now. Will post up pics in the next couple days complete with some rattle-can greentickoflage.

Reactions: earlytom

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not my best rattle-can effort but should keep me motivated to replace the stock. Came in at 6lb 4.3oz with Savage's pic rail, mag, and thread protector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love it! Cant wait to find a barrel for mine and do this conversion. Doing it on a Savage Prairie Hunter in 224 Valkyrie.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok this is shots #13, 14, and 15 through the new rifle. The squares are 1moa. The load is 115fmj Fed pulls (from Amer Reloading), FC brass (1x LWRC), 28.0gr WC844 pull down powder (from Bartlett), and cci450s at 2.295" COAL. 65°, sunny,, 15' ASL. This load shoots sub-moa in my ARP12.5 and 18" ARs and was just for plinking.

I would have done a 5rd group but was pushed for time and didn't realize how nice it was til I got down to the target (100yds).

WTF is that scope!?!? you say? That, my friends is an old 6-24x TASCO....made in Japan. It was on a 300WM I bought when I was poor, got replaced by something lower powered for the GA woods and tossed in a box and forgotten. Found it recently, put it in a cheap cantilever, and figured I could use it for grouping AR loads. I'll get something in rings more appropriate for a BA rifle. Was thinking a LPVO but now maybe something with more oomph.

I had 3 rounds that did not fire. Appeared to have light strikes. Gave them short count to cook off and retried them. Nothing. Don't know if the bolt is breaking in or what. Occurred on shots #2, 4, and 14ish. Will observe.

Very pleased, thanks again @constructor /H for the fine barrel, the forum's wisdom in agreeing on specs, and @sjb67 for the tools.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I built one on a Savage 10 series action. Never could find a mag that would feed reliably. So have given up for now and converted it to .270-08.

If anyone has found a way to get 6.8 SPC to feed reliably in any of the Savage 10/110 action detachable magazines, please let me know which mag you used and how much modding was needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts