6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
I can't figure out how Hornady is doing its "interlock" these days. On their podcasts they refer to is as a "burr" of the jacket material that grips the lead. Photos show it is pretty small. I could imagine scraping the jacket to create the burr, but how do they prevent voids in the lead around it?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I can't figure out how Hornady is doing its "interlock" these days. On their podcasts they refer to is as a "burr" of the jacket material that grips the lead. Photos show it is pretty small. I could imagine scraping the jacket to create the burr, but how do they prevent voids in the lead around it?
They don’t put the burr in the 6.8 sst jacket and from guts experience with other calibers may have stopped using it in them . Might send them an e- mail and ask “ what’s up “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
I could be mistaken, but it was my understanding Hornady did not put the interlocking ring in the SST just their Interlock line of bullets/ammo. Again from my possibly flawed understanding it is the same as the SST‘s but with the ring?

It is interesting to note, that the recovered weight of all my SST‘s, regardless of caliber or mangled condition, is about 55%. I haven’t noticed an interlock ring on recovered bullets, but I haven’t always looked closely. My collection of recovered projectiles is packed away because of my move, but I will check them out when I find them.

Between the SST and XP, if I could get the Winchesters to fly consistently as the SST’s, I would use them over the Hornady’s. Unfortunately the Winchester’s just do not group reliably.

I have a love-hate thing with the SST‘s. I love how accurate they shoot and the destructive mess they make of internals, but I hate the destructive mess they make of internals!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I could be mistaken, but it was my understanding Hornady did not put the interlocking ring in the SST just their Interlock line of bullets/ammo. Again from my possibly flawed understanding it is the same as the SST‘s but with the ring?

It is interesting to note, that the recovered weight of all my SST‘s, regardless of caliber or mangled condition, is about 55%. I haven’t noticed an interlock ring on recovered bullets, but I haven’t always looked closely. My collection of recovered projectiles is packed away because of my move, but I will check them out when I find them.

Between the SST and XP, if I could get the Winchesters to fly consistently as the SST’s, I would use them over the Hornady’s. Unfortunately the Winchester’s just do not group reliably.

I have a love-hate thing with the SST‘s. I love how accurate they shoot and the destructive mess they make of internals, but I hate the destructive mess they make of internals!

I have several empty 6.8 sst jackets and none have the lower lock as does the one shown in this picture .

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wood Toy Fawn Flooring Hardwood
this is a 120 sst I shot into some ballistics gel. You can see just below the lead there is a ring or bulge in the copper jacket. Not sure if that's the inside of the cannelure the interlock ring or both. In my test the bullet performed perfect but gel isn't an animal. Ive shot them through meat and bone into gel and they always hold together so its surprising to hear how they fragment on animals but I trust first hand hunting accounts more then my simulated tests. This is why the only bullet I've used hunting is the 120mkz.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
View attachment 77382 this is a 120 sst I shot into some ballistics gel. You can see just below the lead there is a ring or bulge in the copper jacket. Not sure if that's the inside of the cannelure the interlock ring or both. In my test the bullet performed perfect but gel isn't an animal. Ive shot them through meat and bone into gel and they always hold together so its surprising to hear how they fragment on animals but I trust first hand hunting accounts more then my simulated tests. This is why the only bullet I've used hunting is the 120mkz.
There is no interlock ring except the cannelure . You are right about gel test not being the same as animals . I have found x man’s tests are about as close to the real thing as you can get with every bullet we have taken game/ varmints with .

·
Registered
393 Posts
The picture posted shows an interlock ring about 1/5 of the way from the base. It looks like a small ledge or triangular ramp and is very difficult to see with a real cross-sectioned bullet. The illustration shows it better. It is shallow and immediately below it, the jacket is slightly thicker. There are no signs of it on the outside of the jacket. The podcast guys have referred to it as a "burr".

Building Wood Water Font Metal
Cone Wood Triangle Peach Meat cutter

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The picture posted shows an interlock ring about 1/5 of the way from the base. It looks like a small ledge or triangular ramp and is very difficult to see with a real cross-sectioned bullet. The illustration shows it better. It is shallow and immediately below it, the jacket is slightly thicker. There are no signs of it on the outside of the jacket. The podcast guys have referred to it as a "burr".

View attachment 77384 View attachment 77385
Not only is there no sign of it outside of the jacket there is no sign of it on the inside of the jacket . Empty jackets are smooth inside and no burr is seen or felt when running a safety pin tip up and down the sides . I’ve checked several . Next time I’m casting I’ll throw a SST bullet into the pot and melt the lead out and check it for a burr . If the burr is being stripped out of the jacket by the lead moving forward it’s a pretty sorry excuse for a lock .
I would add that in my opinion the 6..8 SST is by accident a good bullet to use as it was intended to perform one way and it’s success is it performs the other way .

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Previously I made light of the whole delayed expansion concept but I guess that would depend on what you consider expansion . To me controlled widening of the meplat is expansion but others consider fragmentation expansion . If you are in the fragmentation is expansion camp [since it expands the wound cavity ] then the 6.8 SSTs are delayed expansion bullets . They expand on entry then start shrinking in diameter for a distance then fragmentation occurs . I guess it is what your definition of is Is . How many are in the fragmentation is expansion camp ?

·
Registered
680 Posts
My definition of is is: Scotch is not bourbon.
All scotch is whiskey but not all whiskey is scotch. It also holds true bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon.

To me, expansion pertains to the bullet not the wound channel and is simply the deformation of the bullet and there are varying types of expansion. Fragmentation is explosive expansion.

·
Registered
680 Posts
View attachment 77382 this is a 120 sst I shot into some ballistics gel. You can see just below the lead there is a ring or bulge in the copper jacket. Not sure if that's the inside of the cannelure the interlock ring or both. In my test the bullet performed perfect but gel isn't an animal. Ive shot them through meat and bone into gel and they always hold together so its surprising to hear how they fragment on animals but I trust first hand hunting accounts more then my simulated tests. This is why the only bullet I've used hunting is the 120mkz.
I was hoping you would weigh in with your experiments and experience. I know you have done after-action report and gel testing. I am really wanting to try hunting with the MKZ‘s due in part to your posts.

I have never recovered an SST with the uniformity of the one you pictured. I don’t know if mine are different because of striking bone, varying tissue density or even quartering angle?

·
Registered
680 Posts

View attachment 77384 View attachment 77385
I have not heard Hornadys podcast or explanation and I’m not saying there isn’t a burr/interlocking ring, but I have never observed one in any caliber. At least none were obvious. Like Ozarkpugs said, if it is a locking ring, it does a poor job. To me, it would be an unnecessary manufacturing process.

From what I recall on my recovered bullets where the lead core was not ejected, the core is fairly loose in the jacket and the entire core is pretty mangled. From what I remember it was more the jacket was deformed during expansion that held the core in place. Usually just barely held in place.

It is interesting to note from the picture you posted, there appears to be a different coloration of lead at the Front third of the bullet. If it is a different, softer alloy, it could explain the explosive expansion yet the back half of the core is more in tact on recovered bullets? And would be exactly what I would expect Dfleury’s bullet recovered from gel to look like.

Reactions: Kfloyd

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have never had good luck with Winchester brand ammo. I use the 120 gr SST for most applications out of my LWRC w/16” barrel. My second choice has always been 115 gr Federal Fusion. These two offerings have done well in my application but we all know all guns are different. Shot placement/trigger control is where it’s at. YMMV

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have been Using 120sst for years. I can't remember a time I didn't get entrance and exit wounds. Makea me wonder what shot placement and distances you all have been shooting deer. For me I almost always go for double lung shot, distance wise I hunt 150 yards and in. With a lot of my shots around 50 to 75. Using my 16" 3r rifled barrel from Harrison eh err constructor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the 110 accubond did well for me last year but no blood, I knew I didnt miss, started following in the direction it went and it was dead right there maybe 50 yards from the shot.
This. I use110 Accubond exclusively for deer for the pass-through penetration they provide, and 120 SST for fragmentation on head/neck shots on hogs.

To avoid any meat damage on deer, I typically aim just behind the shoulder and double lung them knowing they will run a short distance for maybe 5 to 10 seconds. Produced numerous blood trails but as mentioned, they never stray very far.

Both loads shoot equally well out of my ARP 12.5" barreled SBR.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I have been Using 120sst for years. I can't remember a time I didn't get entrance and exit wounds. Makea me wonder what shot placement and distances you all have been shooting deer. For me I almost always go for double lung shot, distance wise I hunt 150 yards and in. With a lot of my shots around 50 to 75. Using my 16" 3r rifled barrel from Harrison eh err constructor.
What size deer?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
100 160lbs about
The reason I asked what size is the sst seems to expand past the groove if it hits a big bone and holds together more often and exit and on smaller game it often exits before it looses its jacket . There are too many variables to pin it down to just one thing . Most of the deer we have taken with them are in the range or bigger than yours and the majority of them were double lungs behind the shoulder shots . Same distance and 16” 12” and 18” barrels.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts