6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Although I agree with Leatherneck that the most important thing is how well it shoots in your rifle, I am very curious to see how the Winchester XP performs. It is designed like a wide-flat-point, expanding bullet, but with a pointed a plastic tip placed in front of it. The idea is for the lead to start off at a large diameter, making a bigger hole sooner. A Winchester rep said something about deer not being tough game, so there was no reason for an expensive, tough bullet.
It will also be interesting to see if they are consistently accurate.
The SST has a proven history, though, provided it shoots well in your rifle.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
As 1 bayouboy stated both are designed for fast expansion and Winchester is likely to shed its core and fragment like SST does on smaller targets and not exit so I would go with the SST if for no other reason they do shoot very accurate in most guns and have good velocity for factory bullets .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 120SST is a projectile designed/tested to give deep penetration and progressive expansion at the velocities achieved in 16-24" barrels. No projectile will be perfect and all have a shortcoming under a given set of circumstances. The SST is pretty darned good however. Will it pound through a WT's shoulder at close range and hang together to pass through the vitals as it exits the rear of the ribcage...yes. Will it give near golfball size exits on a broadside shot out to 150yds...yes. Will it penetrate well enough on a rear ribcage hit to break the shoulder on the opposite corner...yes.

Is the Winchester capable of this...likely. Just no practical experience from my end and reports from the field are inconclusive. That said, I know the history of WW projectiles on deer and I would not hesitate to use it.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The 120SST is a projectile designed/tested to give deep penetration and progressive expansion at the velocities achieved in 16-24" barrels. No projectile will be perfect and all have a shortcoming under a given set of circumstances. The SST is pretty darned good however. Will it pound through a WT's shoulder at close range and hang together to pass through the vitals as it exits the rear of the ribcage...yes. Will it give near golfball size exits on a broadside shot out to 150yds...yes. Will it penetrate well enough on a rear ribcage hit to break the shoulder on the opposite corner...yes.

Is the Winchester capable of this...likely. Just no practical experience from my end and reports from the field are inconclusive. That said, I know the history of WW projectiles on deer and I would not hesitate to use it.
Evidently you are shooting a different 6.8 SST than we are . Most of the 6.8 SST bullets we have shot over 2doz deer with shed their core and fragmented leaving the empty jacket on the far side or a tiny exit . Only 3 had a large exit. The 6.8 SST doesn’t have a normal innerlock , it is designed to expand quickly to the groove and stop there leaving the rear portion intact for max penetration . That normally doesn’t pan out because there is a tendency for the lead to pop out of the jacket on the far side .(. X man said it was hydrolic pressure that caused it ). .
That’s not to say it’s not a good choice as deer seldom go far with a good hit and a blood trail is not needed and they are normally super accurate . Myself I prefer a bullet that penetrates straight with little or no wandering and leaves a large exit wound but my wife refuses to shoot anything but SST in her 6.8 and every buck has been drt . Only one of hers had an exit . Bottom line is use the SST but if your deer runs off don’t assume you missed because you don’t find blood , this is true with any bullet . If you made a good hit it probably didn’t go far .

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
the 110 accubond did well for me last year but no blood, I knew I didnt miss, started following in the direction it went and it was dead right there maybe 50 yards from the shot.

Reactions: Kfloyd

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
ozarkpugs is dead-on with his description of the SST and has been my experience on deer also.

I had accuracy issues with the Winchester and it fragmented more in my testing than the SST. I wouldn't recommend it over the SST.

I suggest you look at the S&B 110 PTS. I've found it to be accurate in my rifles and provide better penetration than the SST. As a plus, the brass is one of the best for reloading and you don't have to remove a primer crimp. If you don't reload it, many will buy it from you. Multiple places have this round in-stock if you look on ammoseek.com.

I would also suggest getting the Hornady 100 CX. It is a new and improved version of the GMX monolithic/copper bullet. It has excellent expansion and penetration. The CX is also in-stock at many locations.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
the 110 accubond did well for me last year but no blood, I knew I didnt miss, started following in the direction it went and it was dead right there maybe 50 yards from the shot.
That’s not really unusual with any bullet even with good exit wounds . If you blow a hole through both lungs but not a large artery the diaphragm acts as a bellows and pumps air and blood out the holes making tracking easier . On a lot of heart shots and lower lungs the chest cavity fills up before any comes out and a lot of spillage is absorbed by the hollow hairs , by the time blood hits the ground it’s dead . Rearward front shoulder shots are a whole different thing because there is three exit wounds and three entrances wounds but only one in the hide on each side . One into the onside shoulder and then going out of that shoulder and then one entering the rib cage then one exiting the rib cage then one entering the off side shoulder and then exiting that shoulder . The majority of the blood exits the rib cage and is trapped between the ribs and shoulder . More deer have died and been left to rot because they didn’t bleed and ran 100 yards than you can imagine . Back to the accubond , other than nosler loading it weak it’s a great bullet and even at low factory velocity good at norm hunting ranges . I load the 100 grains in S&B brass and it’s my favorite all around . S&B green tip is my favorite factory load and according to the company the new red tips are the exact same . Of course we have been lied to by bullet manufacturers before . I ordered 4 boxes last week and plan on taking 5 or 6 deer with them this year and see .

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
That’s not really unusual with any bullet even with good exit wounds . If you blow a hole through both lungs but not a large artery the diaphragm acts as a bellows and pumps air and blood out the holes making tracking easier . On a lot of heart shots and lower lungs the chest cavity fills up before any comes out and a lot of spillage is absorbed by the hollow hairs , by the time blood hits the ground it’s dead . Rearward front shoulder shots are a whole different thing because there is three exit wounds and three entrances wounds but only one in the hide on each side . One into the onside shoulder and then going out of that shoulder and then one entering the rib cage then one exiting the rib cage then one entering the off side shoulder and then exiting that shoulder . The majority of the blood exits the rib cage and is trapped between the ribs and shoulder . More deer have died and been left to rot because they didn’t bleed and ran 100 yards than you can imagine . Back to the accubond , other than nosler loading it weak it’s a great bullet and even at low factory velocity good at norm hunting ranges . I load the 100 grains in S&B brass and it’s my favorite all around . S&B green tip is my favorite factory load and according to the company the new red tips are the exact same . Of course we have been lied to by bullet manufacturers before . I ordered 4 boxes last week and plan on taking 5 or 6 deer with them this year and see .

It did not go through completely, I found the expanded bullet on the off side under the hide.

·
Registered
680 Posts

I have never had an SST perform as you described. I have use the SST in several different calibers on different game animals. It performs the same in all calibers from .243 win to 338 WinMag. Most of the hunting with 6.8 120 SST‘s has been hogs. It leaves a very destructive wound channel but very rarely leaves an exit wound.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Guts, you are also dead-on. It's the difference between marketing and reality. It is not unusual for marketing to describe a product in a way that gets more people to buy it. My favorite marketing hype for a bullet is "delayed expansion". If the bullet doesn't immediately start expanding to increase its diameter and reduce its length, then it tumbles in the denser media of flesh compared to air.

Reactions: Kfloyd and Guts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have never had an SST perform as you described. I have use the SST in several different calibers on different game animals. It performs the same in all calibers from .243 win to 338 WinMag. Most of the hunting with 6.8 120 SST‘s has been hogs. It leaves a very destructive wound channel but very rarely leaves an exit wound.
The 6.8 not only doesn’t perform the same as sst in other calibers it is constructed differently . If you look at their page it shows a interlock which is there to keep the core from coming out yet the 6.8 doesn’t have one and it comes out . It is a super accurate and effective bullet in the 6.8 and it kills .

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Guts, you are also dead-on. It's the difference between marketing and reality. It is not unusual for marketing to describe a product in a way that gets more people to buy it. My favorite marketing hype for a bullet is "delayed expansion". If the bullet doesn't immediately start expanding to increase its diameter and reduce its length, then it tumbles in the denser media of flesh compared to air.
The delayed expansion is funny . It’s like the bullet is going to enter at one speed and then speed up .

·
Registered
392 Posts
The "delayed expansion" idea seems odd to me. FWIW, it is exactly the opposite of what Winchester is claiming its new XP bullets do. If anyone could direct me to a good cross-section if the 6.8 SST, I would appreciate it. Reading in between the lines from the Hornady podcasts, the SST is not a terribly sophisticated bullet. The jacket peels back and the exposed lead core abrades/fragments.
I have spent more time learning about Hornady's more recent ELD-X bullets, but it looks like much of its tech is designed for something longer and sleeker than used in the 6.8 SPC. Basically, they change the thickness of the jacket a lot in the ELD-X's. It starts off thin for rapid partial expansion, even at low velocities. The jacket gets thicker farther back to peel back slowly during penetration when it bullet hits at higher velocities. Maybe they figure that all that fancy design is not needed for the shorter bullets.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The 6.8 not only doesn’t perform the same as sst in other calibers it is constructed differently . If you look at their page it shows a interlock which is there to keep the core from coming out yet the 6.8 doesn’t have one and it comes out . It is a super accurate and effective bullet in the 6.8 and it kills .

And most of the animals I have killed I try to investigate the wound and attempt to recover bullets. I don’t always do this with hogs but I do have several I have recovered. In my experience with the SST all recovered bullet are very similar, the 6.8 SST is no exception. They have been very accurate in most rifles and cartridges.

My recovered SST‘s in all calibers look similar. there is explosive expansion of the front half of the bullet. The jacket is rarely uniform, never mushroom shaped and the core often separates from the jacket but are found close together and usually near the hide on the opposite side. For better or worse, everything along the wound channel looks like it’s been in a blender on high. Everything I’ve shot with the 6.8 120 SST‘s has not traveled far.

My experience with the Winchester XP‘s is limited. In most riles and cartridges, they have not been particularly accurate for me, so I have not used them much. I don’t believe I have taken any animals with the XP in 6.8. My experience with them has been in a 308 Win where they grouped very reliably.

They appear to hold together a little better but do fragment. I have had more pass-through shots with the XP than SST‘s. The deer, elk and hogs I have shot with this all dropped in their tracks.

My, not so scientific, anecdotal observations are nowhere near as thorough as Xman’s. I defer to his knowledge and expertise on anything bullet related.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
The "delayed expansion" came from Winchester when they were introducing their new copper bullet that I don't see much anymore.

What I have found with the 120 SST shot from the 6.8 is the hydro-static pressure during the terminal phase gets between the lead core and the copper jacket as it peels back. This causes the copper jacket to swell, ejecting the lead core like a sabot. I've done lots of terminal testing with the 120 SST and several times experienced dirt inside the recovered copper jacket (how could that get there). Its from the "Water Slug" kicking up dirt from the ground the splashes back up in-front of the now slow copper jacket (sans lead core). I've seen this swelling away from the lead core happen on a couple of tests that didn't go through the full water column of the gallon jug. I actually still recovered the bullets and found the lead cores would slide in and out of the copper jacket. It didn't matter that there is a cannalure.

On all but one deer I've had no no exit wound(s) because the elastic offside hide acts catchers mitt for all the fragments and loose copper jacket. Even with a hole in the offside rib cage I could put my fist through. On smaller game, like coyotes and raccoons, you can hear a loud "pop" on impact as the animal comes apart. Pretty impressive on thermal. Hogs are a tougher animal and SST seems to stay intact with exit wounds. Hitting bone on a deer can sometimes force the lead core to stay in the copper jacket.

I'm not trying to promote the SST. It is a very lethal bullet. As a meat hunter, I prefer a good copper bullet like the MKZ followed by the 100 CX and 95 TTSX. The ABs and PTS are good lead-core bullets for penetration with just a little fragmentation. In my experience, the MKZ drops the hogs as fast as the SST. Because I hunt hogs and coyotes around cattle and buildings, I primarily use the SST to reduce the risk of ricochets.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts