6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started reading the May 2016 issue and the .270 article grabbed my attention. It starts with the same ol O"Conner stories and delves into the history of inception as well as uses over the years.
It talks mostly on 130 grn results of speed and use for hunting. Then it takes a curve into other uses of the .270 with Weatherby, The Magnum and then gets to Remington's 6.8 SPC. Almost no mention as such cept some limited military acceptance and recent embracing by hunters.
This is a great opportunity to have one, or more, of the members here who are proficient and expert to explain to the editor in a letter that there is a better chamber being used and there are bullets being used other then 130 grn bullets that explode and ruin meat at 270 speeds. At least get them to stop referring it to as the SPC and use the SPCII designation. That alone would be a step forward.
I do not have the expertise enough to peak their interest and have them maybe write a modern article on the SPCII. Lord knows they need material. They actually turned this into another 6.5 discussion. :a43:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You can lead a horse to water.
I'm not sure it would do any good to explain all of that to any of the gun rag scribbles because they are either dead from the shoulders up or writing precisely what they are told to.

It would be worth a try though.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
The only part in that book I have read other than the Armed Citizen section. I figured the 6.8 would come up after .270, wish it were more though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Started reading the May 2016 issue and the .270 article grabbed my attention. It starts with the same ol O"Conner stories and delves into the history of inception as well as uses over the years.
It talks mostly on 130 grn results of speed and use for hunting. Then it takes a curve into other uses of the .270 with Weatherby, The Magnum and then gets to Remington's 6.8 SPC. Almost no mention as such cept some limited military acceptance and recent embracing by hunters.
This is a great opportunity to have one, or more, of the members here who are proficient and expert to explain to the editor in a letter that there is a better chamber being used and there are bullets being used other then 130 grn bullets that explode and ruin meat at 270 speeds. At least get them to stop referring it to as the SPC and use the SPCII designation. That alone would be a step forward.
I do not have the expertise enough to peak their interest and have them maybe write a modern article on the SPCII. Lord knows they need material. They actually turned this into another 6.5 discussion. :a43:
I read this article too, since I went from using .308 to .270 as my hunting caliber just this year.

But as a handloader who is new to the black rifle, I found the 6.8 to be very intriguing, especially given the similar velocities between them.

I've posted elsewhere that up until really recently I wasn't equating black rifles with accuracy given my bolt gun preference, but now that I've gotten a glimpse of what good examples of this platform can do, I'm really looking forward to completing my first AR platform build in the 6.8 caliber. And I'm even more curious about the possibility of using this rifle for hunting when complete!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I read this article too, since I went from using .308 to .270 as my hunting caliber just this year.

But as a handloader who is new to the black rifle, I found the 6.8 to be very intriguing, especially given the similar velocities between them.

I've posted elsewhere that up until really recently I wasn't equating black rifles with accuracy given my bolt gun preference, but now that I've gotten a glimpse of what good examples of this platform can do, I'm really looking forward to completing my first AR platform build in the 6.8 caliber. And I'm even more curious about the possibility of using this rifle for hunting when complete!
Welcome to the collective! You will be absorbed do not resist. You are going to enjoy your new 6.8 in a modern hunting rifle. It does lead to another problem BGD extremely contagious.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I'M BACK!!!!:a31:

We still need to get SPC II SAAMI approved. So, we can get things rolling to the next phase.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I'M BACK!!!!

We still need to get SPC II SAAMI approved. So, we can get things rolling to the next phase.
I hate to be a spoil sport but- Good luck with that, let us know when you find someone willing to dish out the time and cash for no return ...this has been beaten to death here before --- unless remington does it, no one is really sure if it could be done any other way.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate to be a spoil sport but- Good luck with that, let us know when you find someone willing to dish out the time and cash for no return ...this has been beaten to death here before --- unless remington does it, no one is really sure if it could be done any other way.
These Peterson magazines need something to write about. Whenever they do mention the SPC is is in old context and data.
Here there are writers who have dissected individual case manufacturers, primers to use and NOT use, at least a half a dozen powders including temp sensitivities, and bullets?? Hell that chapter is still being written because the data is rendered almost every day from accuracy to kill results as well as new bullets.

Which Mag writer would be most likely interested in carrying the torch?? Rifle shooter probably has someone, certainly not Boddington. He is not a AR guy.

Sweeney? AR guy yes educated on the 6.8? Maybe. What writings of his I have read are somewhat dismissive. He's mostly a handgun guy anyway. We need a credible writer to carry the water for a time and insist SAAMI re-evaluate their data to bring fairness and update their data.
Which MFG would be most likely to assist? ".this has been beaten to death here before" Yes but I know you do not make things happen by looking at ways to make it not happen.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Read somewhere that the Remington pet at this time is the 300 BO. They were putting all of their efforts in getting it established. Don't know if that is true, but I read it somewhere and the author was one of the inventors of the BO. Take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Read somewhere that the Remington pet at this time is the 300 BO. They were putting all of their efforts in getting it established. Don't know if that is true, but I read it somewhere and the author was one of the inventors of the BO. Take it for what it's worth.
Remington has invested MILLIONS of $$$$$ in pushing the 300 :a13:. If they had spent only half of that on the 6.8 then it would be outselling the 5.56. The funniest part on the 300 :a13: is that ammo costs almost as much as 6.8 in any decent loading.

I hope the 300 :a13: flops worse than any of the other Remington flops and they have had more than a few.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea Remington screwed up the 6.8 with their trials and to go back and correct it would be admitting they screwed up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts