6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting 2940fps out of a 13.7" 6.8 barrel using my handload of 31.1gr of A2200, a 90gr GD and a cci41 primer. I see that the xm68gd factory round is only about 2850 or so. Am I pushing my load, and my rifle too hard, unnecessarily? My brass shows only a slight smear( shiny spot) but definitely no burr. Primers are no more flattened than when I put them in. I use a hand primer and with tight pockets sometimes theyre hard to seat to begin with. No cratering. I measure expansion just above the head and almost always get .002"-.003" over norm.

Just wondering if I need or at least what benefit am I getting from all of that over the factory loading, which is a proven performer. By the way the accuracy I get seems to be at least on par with the factory load.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I used to be a speed freak but I now see the benefits of slowing things down a bit. My buddy always says, “accuracy kills: not speed.” I always look for an accurate load now. If speed happens to join it - so be it.
Real hot loads can beat the snot out of your rifle, too.

TC

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
My take is that there is nothing wrong with your load, but you maybe be able to get good performance at a lower velocity that saves a bit of wear & tear on the gun and also makes a pound of powder go further. If you are shooting at ranges that benefit from the extra MV I'd say to stick with it, but if the extra velocity doesn't buy you anything for performance on the target then why pay for it (with extra powder and reduced service life)?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I like speed. A lot. But like getting right up in the lands, there is another good node if you back up. Those nodes tend to be accurate for longer, and should also extend your barrels life.

Bigger, faster at first seems to be mo' better, but putting it where it needs to be, is best.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
According to the charts there is only 1/3 “ diff at 200 yd with a 100 yd zero and less than 2” at 300 . If you set zero at 200 yds it’s even less notable . I noticed you didn’t mention the temperature when you checked velocity . That’s very important .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The energy comes close to my 18" midweight AR Performance Barrel using factory Hornady Factory 120SST Ammo for short distance self defense use , It would be interesting to see your velocity on factory Hornady 120sst
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

1 - 8 of 8 Posts