• Both

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, let's keep it civil (I know we will as this site has more class then that other forum).

I wanted to start a poll:

Which do you own? Why? Pros Cons?

Aimpoint (which model)
Eotech (which model)
Both
or
Other

Here is my reason, none of my fun stores carries stuff like this (mostly fud stuff) so it's hard to go out and get a feel for them.

· Premium Member
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,846 Posts
Should put this question up on ARFCOM and see what happens. Aimpoint I say! That hog hunting video sold me. Either that or the Trijicon Red Dot. I love mine on top of my ACOG, awsome little sight. I've shot Eotechs, and they are reall nice, but what i have read and seen from Aimpoints, think my next optic will be the comp3.... dunno if i want to spend any more for the comp4... Where is Aimpoint manufactured? is it American?

· Registered
7,772 Posts
guess you got the poll thing working :D

I own both, I have two eotechs one on my work rifle and one on the 556 at the house for the gf... I have an aimpoint n my 6.8... now, both of them I want for NVG use... I need to do some more testing on this but if you mount the PVS14 behind the aimpoint it seems to really limit the amount of light that the PVS 14 picks up and I found I needed to use the IR illuminator during the whole time, taken the PVS14 off of the rifle I could see fine without the illuminator.

the EOtech should allow more light to come in, so I am planning on trying that combo this next time home to see if 1, the eotech does in fact allow more light into the PVS 14 so that I dont need to run the illuminator all the time, and two to see if the halo around the dot ballons out the eotech...
besides that, one has a 2 or 4 MOA dot, the other has a 1 moa dot with or without a circle... another plus for me with the eotech is I have the 123 version so the eotech and the surefire lights take the same battery, which cuts down on supply issues....

· Registered
1,439 Posts
Should put this question up on ARFCOM and see what happens. Aimpoint I say! That hog hunting video sold me. Either that or the Trijicon Red Dot. I love mine on top of my ACOG, awsome little sight. I've shot Eotechs, and they are reall nice, but what i have read and seen from Aimpoints, think my next optic will be the comp3.... dunno if i want to spend any more for the comp4... Where is Aimpoint manufactured? is it American?
Aimpoint is made in Sweden. I have a CompC3 and a cheap 3x on my 5.56. The Xtreme will be wearing a cheap scope for the time being. That will change as funds allow.

· Registered
207 Posts
Hmmmmm...

Well, I hoped this poll would help me decide between the two, but so far, you guys aren't helping! :p

Please list some pros and cons, especially if you own both! Thanks!

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Dont Own both, but here are my pros cons

Aimpoint Pros
Battery Life, Battery Life, Battery life.... Like 50-70,000 hours.... ie, leave it on for 5 years

Aimpoint Cons
2 MOA dot instead of 1 MOA dot, obstructs more target area than EOTech.

EOTech Pros
1 MOA dot, obstructs less target area than Aimpoint

EOtech Cons
Only a 1000 hour battery life so have to change those out more often. I think if you turn it on, it will turn itself off after 5 minutes to save the battery

· Registered
3,086 Posts
Aimpoint Vs. EOTech.
A. Reticles:

1. Aimpoint 2MOA vs 4MOA:
a. For 0-50 yards: 4MOA.
b. For 0-300+ yards: 2MOA.
c. For use with a magnifier: 2MOA.

2. EOTech:
a. Standard EOTech reticle has a 65MOA outer circle with a sub-MOA dot in the center.
b. New reticle on the 557 model is similar to the regular EOTech reticle but has BDC markins for 400, 500, and 600 yards.

3. Conclusion:
a. IMHO, hands down, the EOTech reticle is the clear winner. It has the small center dot for precision and the outer ring for speed (just place the outer ring center mass on the target and pull the trigger.).
b. Note on the reticles: I have read too many times where people indicate that the EOTech or Aimpoint reticle is too fuzzy and they can't get used to it. If your reticle is fuzzy it is because you are using the optic incorrectly. A red dot is not like a traditional iron sight where you concentrate on the front sight. With a red dot, you keep both eyes open and you look through the reticle and at the target. Don't concentrate on the reticle. I also have a stigmatism in my dominant eye and when I wear glasses, I've had no problems shooting as described above.

B. Battery Life:

1. Aimpoint:
a. M2: 10,000 hrs.
b. M3: 50,000 hrs.
c. M4: 80,000 hrs.

2. EOTech:
a. N alkaline batteries: 200 hrs.
b. AA batteries: 1,1oo hrs.

3. Conclusion:
a. The aimpoint wins in this category. You can leave your Aimpoint on all day for a whole year. The EOTech has a 4 and 8 hr automatic shut-off which is great just in case you forget to shut off the optic.

C. Ruggedness:
1. Both of these optics are proven in combat, but I'd still give the slight edge to the Aimpoint because of less reported incidents where it has failed. Some of the earlier EOTechs had some issues, but the newer models are fine.

D: Final Thoughts:
1. For Military purposes, I can see why the Aimpoint is used the most. Great battery life and proven ruggedness. For LE, where a lot of entry work is done, the EOTech shines because of the reticle and battery life is not as big of an issue. With the addition of the new EOTech 557 with 4x magnifier, I think you will see more EOTechs being used by the Military. It is like having the close up speed of a red dot with the magnification and BDC of the ACOG.

· Registered
3,086 Posts
Lot's of good info here. Still not helping me make my decision. I would like to find one used to save money, is there a particular model from either company to stay away from?
The Aimpoint CompC3 and the EOTEch 516 are the two best values. Stay away from the EOTEchs with the N Batteries. (511/551 series).

· Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I'll try to add my 2 cents, and see if this helps.

1) the Aimpoint definitely has better battery life. There is no contest here. Eotech needs to get their battery life up.....like you should be able to leave it on at least for the whole weekend without the battery dying, let alone leaving it on in the safe for 5 years. Winner here: Aimpoint

2) All Aimpoints have biiger dots than Eotechs. This doesnt' matter for most because these are not precision sights. It mattered for me, because I shoot red dots for precision with a magnifier, as I learn to shoot with less and less magnifncation as I age. Only Eotech offers a 1MOA dot, and that does indeed give better precision when under magnification w/ an add on magnifier or when you are using the PVS-14 with a 3X magnifnier. Winner here : Eotech

3) Using NVD's, I firmly believe the Eotech obscures the FOV less in a PVS -14 than does the Aimpoint. The round body / housing of the Aimpont shows up in the PVS -14 whereas the Eotech does not. This allows for a more unobstruced view and more light transmission, whcih is so critical with NVD's to begin with. Winner here: eotech

4) Toughness and reliablity. My personal experience has been exactly perfect with the Eotech, so I can only say I have never had a single problem. However, we have all heard the stories about the battery housing, corrosion and the contacts wearing, failing or mioisture degradsing them. The Aimpoint has earned a reputation for being Rock-solid . Both seem to zero well and hold that well. winner here : Aimpoint.

5) Price: Winner here: Eotech, but ONLY because the Eotech does not hold its value as well. they are pretty close price ponts when new, but used Eos can be had all over the internet for as little as $300, and this is a screaming deal for a guy that just bought his first Xtreme, and his fourth 6.8 upper :eek:

Tough decision, but you have to weigh all these factors and decide for yourself. If you never intend to use NVD's I think Aimpoint is hard to beat. If you use the PVS-14, and don't want to have to have 3 optics for each given gun, Eotech.

Just my .02, YMMV, and to each his own,,,,blah, blah, blah

· Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I am starting to use the 3X magnifier with the LaRue flip to side mount. This allows me not to have to switch optics.

I sight in during the day with the Eo, then I can use the 3X at distance. If a hog runs out in front of me at 40 yards, I shoot with the dot unmagnified. At night, I simnply take the PVS out of my man-purse, and mount it to the rifle.

One optic....three uses. :)

· Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the idea of the Eotech having the 1moa dot. This will after all be going on H's new 5.56 Lothar barresl. From what I understand it is basically as close to a match barrel that you can get but chrome lined. I think the Eotech may be the best bet for me. The uber coolness of the Aimpoint makes it tough (waterproof and 5 yr battery!!!) but the pricing on the Eotech sights may take the edge.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.