6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last build I did, AGBs were pretty much a brand new thing. I remember reading here that some were favored, some were not. I don't recall the brands and/or why. Back then... lo-pro gas blocks were the rage.

I've got some barrels in need of being built. I'm not a stamp collector, so that's not part of the considerations. They're all ARP "mower axles":
12.5" 6.8 (nudder pistola)
16" 6.8
18" 6.8 3R
16" .223 Wylde
16" Yote Smoker

At least a couple of them (builds) may be a bit on the lighter side, but, I'm not looking to set any records here.

·
Super Moderator
5,989 Posts
SLR & Superlative would be my choice if your choosing to get an adjustable block.

Currently I’m using several superlatives.

Why: they are very well made/machined. DO NOT waste your money on cheap ass $19.00 adjustable blocks. Well, unless they are gonna sit in the safe and only be fired a couple rounds a year then they’ll suffice. I prefer not to cut corners in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
+1 on the cheap AGB. A few years back I thought I’d save some money and apart from it being junk, it wasn’t well engineered and require removal of hand guard to adjust. It ended up being my barrel dimpling jig.

I have a few Syracs which have been very reliable over the years. Unfortunately they went out of business.

Next one I buy will probably be SLR.
I also like the govnah for quick adjustability between suppressed, non suppressed and extreme duty. They too have been difficult to source the last few years and I ended up going with non agb in my duty rifle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
when I build my rifles I like to use a standard gas block and I run a 2aArmament Regulated BCG. Uses a 6torx to adjust the gas via a ball valve thru the ejection port. Slightly more expensive, but the lightweight of the BCG makes for a noticeable difference in recoil.

·
Super Moderator
5,989 Posts
+1 on the cheap AGB. A few years back I thought I’d save some money and apart from it being junk, it wasn’t well engineered and require removal of hand guard to adjust. It ended up being my barrel dimpling jig.

I have a few Syracs which have been very reliable over the years. Unfortunately they went out of business.

Next one I buy will probably be SLR.
I also like the govnah for quick adjustability between suppressed, non suppressed and extreme duty. They too have been difficult to source the last few years and I ended up going with non agb in my duty rifle.
Tony @ Superlative was involved with Syrac and machined those blocks. If you look at them together you’ll see they are similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,853 Posts
I have been happy with SLR. Never tried Superlative. Never really understood the bleed off function or a need for it. Others like them.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I have had good luck with both SLR and Superlative. It might be that Superlative will reduce some of the carbon build up? Or maybe not :)
When I built my ARP 6.5C, it seemed to be way over-gassed and the Superlative would not bleed off enough in its normal mode so I had to use it like a regular agb and shut it down until I got it where I wanted it.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
AGB need regular maintenance to not freeze up regardless of the manufacturer. Lately I've gone with SLR because they can be rebuilt by the individual. I had one lock up and I could take care of it by myself until the Syrac. CLP is your friend so remember to keep the adjustment screw clean and lubed. I do it after every range session now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm running my first, it's an Aero P, has click adjustments. I like it so far and it wasn't too expensive.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I've had an Odin Works adjustable for about 3-4 years with zero problems.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like the new seekins with the dial switch I put that on an AR 308 the other day it'll go on all my new builds. It comes with a shorter throw lever that you can reach if you have big enough ports on your handguards. Much easier than toting an Allen wrench around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts