6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this, but I think I have the hang of load development for plinking, practicing, and non-competitive target shooting.

But hunting is different, every shot is going to come from a cold bore/bolt, and follow up shots may be needed, so POI ought not be very different.

What should I be looking for, and is there a process to find it?

Thanks for the help guys!

Oh, I should add that the 100gr GMX is my planned choice, with A2200. If that combo works well for this purpose

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
I'm new to this, but I think I have the hang of load development for plinking, practicing, and non-competitive target shooting.

But hunting is different, every shot is going to come from a cold bore/bolt, and follow up shots may be needed, so POI ought not be very different.

What should I be looking for, and is there a process to find it?

Thanks for the help guys!

Oh, I should add that the 100gr GMX is my planned choice, with A2200. If that combo works well for this purpose
I would just work up the best load I could come up with and go with it. The POI shift from cold to warm is not going to be enough to worry about in a hunting situation in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I personally keep track of cold bore shots and they are always part of my groups and not culled from a group. Since you plan to use a monometal bullet for hunting the main concern should be what your minimum opening velocity is for that particular bullet and adjust your maximum range based on muzzle velocity.
If your typical or expected shot distance is fairly short or well within you minimum opening velocity range don't change your process from your target ammo just find an acceptable accuracy load and go hunting. Match grade accuracy is great but generally not needed for typical hunting distances were more emphasis on the ammo should be acceptable accuracy with proper bullet selection and performance on game for a quick clean kill.

That is generally how I approach it but will admit sometimes burn through to much components chasing extra accuracy gains that really aren't needed.

·
Registered
660 Posts
On xmans powder temperature sensitivity thread a guy shot a ladder that had 3 different charges group within a inch with 100 fps from lower to higher powder charge. He is going to load the high one so when its cold and the fps drop he might still be at same poi and stay in the accuracy node. I am going to try this this weekend and then retest velocity and poi this winter. It is definitely worth a try at least.

Edit: Guy metioned is Cajun. Wanted to give him credit for the good idea.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
It would be interesting to note the first cold bore shot with a single quick follow up to see what the POI difference would be but it is probably inconsequential due to the fact you will be shooting from field positions while hunting.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Do a ladder or group test and find the accuracy node. There will usually be two. You want the one close to max charge weight. Since 2200 is temp sensitive load for the top end of the node. If it's hot out let your barrel cool down between shots. Once you find the load play with seating depth if necesary. Once all that is done I'll go out on a cool morning and fire 3 shots as fast as I can get a good sight picture. If all is well all three should be under an inch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

Thanks all!

It sounds like "don't overthink it" is the key phrase here, and the same basic principles apply to load development for target shooting, with the caveat that:
  1. freehand shooting
  2. under the effects of buck-fever
are going to have more effect on accuracy than a cold bore or cold temperatures.

So work up a load you are confident in and go forth!
That, I can do

Again thanks for taking the time guys.

·
Registered
126 Posts
IMO, only diff in target ammo & hunting is the bullet & vel. You still want the most accurate load & the highest vel you can get & still have the accuracy. I am fine with 3 shot groups for hunting loads too. 3 shots at Moa works fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts