6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am looking for advise and am all ears I will be hunting with a new 6.8spc It will have a 16" psa barrel. I will be hunting whitetail and coyote.What bullet and powder combination would you recommend for Whitetail deer and what combination would you recommend for coyote.I have never reloaded before but have a friend that is very good at it and will be teaching me.
Thank you,

·
Registered
628 Posts
There is a bullet performance thread in the hunting forum. Very detailed info on all the popular bullets. There is also a sticky in the reloading forum with member load data.

The three most popular deer bullets are the 95 ttsx,100,110 gr accubond and the 120 sst. The sst is about 1/2 the price of either and would do well also as a coyote round due to its rapid ,violent expansion. If your worried about penetration on deer the other 2 may be a better choice. The 110 Hornady bthp or vmax is a good varmint round. At this point availability may be an issue with some of the bullets. Palmetto had 100 accubonds and midway and natchez had the sst.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Wilson Combat has the 95ttsx, both Accubonds, and the Hornady bthp. Note that all of those are for SPC 2 chamber only...all on Labor Day sale.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Wilson Combat has the 95ttsx, both Accubonds, and the Hornady bthp. Note that all of those are for SPC 2 chamber only...all on Labor Day sale.
My mistake, they've got the *85*ttsx and only one accubond. That's what you get for going by memory and on the'phone.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
As all ready stated the 120SST is a great bullet it has excellent expansion, delivers a lot of shock to the target, is very accurate and competitively priced. The down side if lead fragments in meat are a concern just know that it will fragment but is a very effective bullet at 68 velocities. The accubond is a little better constructed due to the bonding process but it will shed quite a bit of wieght as well. And last any of the monolithic bullets will be best in the penetration department without the lead fragment issues if you stay within the velocity/ expansion threshold on the bottom end.
XMAN has done a lot of expansion testing with various bullets if you haven't read up on it yet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As all ready stated the 120SST is a great bullet it has excellent expansion, delivers a lot of shock to the target, is very accurate and competitively priced. The down side if lead fragments in meat are a concern just know that it will fragment but is a very effective bullet at 68 velocities. The accubond is a little better constructed due to the bonding process but it will shed quite a bit of wieght as well. And last any of the monolithic bullets will be best in the penetration department without the lead fragment issues if you stay within the velocity/ expansion threshold on the bottom end.
XMAN has done a lot of expansion testing with various bullets if you haven't read up on it yet.

I read ear the whole post and my head is spinning I like the Nosler 110 accubond,Barnes 95ttsx,federal 90 gold dots but am all ears for a good deer hunting round the challenge is gonna be supply.
thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I read ear the whole post and my head is spinning I like the Nosler 110 accubond,Barnes 95ttsx,federal 90 gold dots but am all ears for a good deer hunting round the challenge is gonna be supply.
thanks
There are many proven power/bullet combinations in the reloading section that will help you decide based on what components you have available or on hand. Ultimately your rifle will decide what it prefers but there are several proven accuracy loads.

·
Registered
797 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts