6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
check to make sure that there is no interference with a slim hand-guard.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
of course.........whittling is an option

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
price and forward controls make it interesting. should have one soon

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Have one of these and it would not fit under a Guntec light weight handguard due to the shoulder on the side. Other than that all the stuff I have ordered from Gorilla Mfg has been good and the customer service has been outstanding.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I had the same issue with a slime handguard and an Odin Works AGB that has that same shoulder but I used the Syrac under that handguard and put the Odin one under a normal size handguard and it has been fine.

The gorilla one would work for me because once I adjust the gas I don't mess with it anymore as the rifle is always shot in that configuration and ammo.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have issues with gas blocks (especially adjustable clamp on) and handguard clearance more often than I can really keep up wirh. For that reason I have at least six to eight different gas blocks in the parts locker adjustable block inventory and a pile of name brand non adjustable that use set screws, taper pins, combination of both and more. Last build I was doing had a Superlative Arms Gas Blled Off block in parts pile which had clearance issues and the set screw version had some issues with access to make adjustments due to front cap on free float forearm. Pulled two that fit perfectly, an Ergo adjustable block and a Gorilla Gen 3. Liked the look of the Gorilla but to date have not used one of theseveral models and till I test one on a low/mid priced build for abusing decided to use the Ergo because I have used a half dozen without any issues to date.

It amazes me how many people order up a pile of parts from the Internet and how many do not properly fit with other parts. From working part time in an 07 SOT, giving advice on forums, on my website help desk and working on uppers for people who have months of work, pile of extra parts and rifle still does not run. 70% of the time issue is in gas block choice or improper alignment. Then is gas port size combined with a quick change suppressor, bolt carrier group choice followed by buffer/spring choice or a combination of two or more of mentioned most seen problems.

Last nine uppers I built (one 22 Nosler, one 458 SOCOM, three 6.8, four 5.56) when finished their lowers all ran with no failures to feed fire or extract but most required a gas adjustment or ran better if pulled the build buffer and swapped for one weight heavier or lighter. Would be ten in a row were it not for a 10.5" 5.56 with pinned suppressor which is going to be a bit of work due to short dwell time caused by gas port being so close to muzzle. When I build a pinned suppressor upper to sidestep a second SBR stamp I always test it on a pistol lower first so that if hit a major issue do not have to unpin the can to get at block then gas port. Usually have to open up port in this circumstance to get more gas and use a block like a Superlative Gas Bleed Off to give plenty of adjustment and vent as much cap out front of block instead of back down barrel into action.

Everyone who builds more than on rare occasion should always watch for clearance and sales on reputable parts know they will need and keep a variety in stock. I have well over 100, close to 150 total, triggers in stock from name brand milspec to Hiperfire, Geissele and myriad of single stage and two stage mid priced triggers that get tuned to needs of the rifle. Gas blocks and buffers are most import to have a variety so a build does not stop on bench till more parts can be ordered in to proceed with build or troubleshoot tuning. Good selection of triggers is nice so can always tune best trigger for most builds or pull out a Hiperfire so know can tune below two pounds but still have reliable ignition of even the hardest primers with its dual hammer spring design.

I checked my Gorilla Machine purchase history and to date have spent just about $1,800 with them on various parts (a lot of forearms as have nice units at fair price allowing me to just order one of each length in styles that suit me). Not had one Gorilla part give me trouble including upper receivers, forearms, gas blocks, magazines, sights and more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts