6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a PSA freedom upper stainless 416R heavy barrel upper and put it on the blemished (they call that blemished? Had to find one or two things that happens when you just do general handling!) and it wiggled badly. To me a little wiggle is very bad.

It took a lot and a lot and a lot and a lot and a lot and a lot and a lot of trimming to get it down to a slim very slim slim side and bottom. And it locks up nice and tight!

I'll need to get more accuwedges in case this one runs away when I clean the gun.

If any one else has tricks or other ways to keep the upper tight to the lower, I'd like to hear it. :a31:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
There are oversized pins .
Screw lock wedge and wedge offset pins .
Some lowers like the 2nd Gen Aero Precision have a set screw for the rear take down pin.
The rear takedown area can be bedded .

It is generally excepted that there is no harm it letting it ride ,however, it bugs me to and the Accu-wedges are satisfactory for my needs, for now.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
It is strange but the few receiver sets that appeared loose at the rear takedown pin did not shoot any worse for it. But it is annoying.

The 2A receivers both AR 15 Balios lite and their super lite 308 Xanthos come with the rear set screw, but come amazingly tight fitting. I usually put titanium pivot and take down pins in the 2A sets as I often have to use a plastic punch to both put in and pull out these pins.

I am lucky as not one of my AR 15s or AR 308s have loose fits, less rattle and no accu wedges needed.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i've gotten a couple of their lowers in the last month or so, these are marked differently than the ones a year or so ago, both of mine have the wobbles too

·
Administrator
22,081 Posts
I'm a big fan of my Demon Tactical piece. It's a cam-lock to replace the rear pin. Locks SOLID. They were impossible to find/buy about six months ago... haven't searched for 'em lately though.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I can't tolerate a rattlely gun, if I am walking through the woods I do not want any metallic sounds of any kind. I have Accuwedges and the lowers with set screws, but what I found works the best is washer stamped out of a beverage can and placed on the tilt pin, between the upper and lower. It may take a bit of experimentation as all beverage cans are not equal. You may even find a shim washer at a good hardware store that works, but the aluminum can material is near perfect and free.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I can't tolerate a rattlely gun, if I am walking through the woods I do not want any metallic sounds of any kind. I have Accuwedges and the lowers with set screws, but what I found works the best is washer stamped out of a beverage can and placed on the tilt pin, between the upper and lower. It may take a bit of experimentation as all beverage cans are not equal. You may even find a shim washer at a good hardware store that works, but the aluminum can material is near perfect and free.
Could you possibly post a picture of this. I can't seem to visualize this. Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
If any one else has tricks or other ways to keep the upper tight to the lower, I'd like to hear it. :a31:
I prefer an O-ring around the front lug instead of an Accuwedge, set screw, or anything else on the rear lug. Tightening up the rear lug doesn't seem to be as effective, until it's so tight the gun won't come apart easily. The O-ring tightens up both the front and rear together, takes all of 30 seconds to install, and oversized take down pins are still functional for quick field stripping.

A #28 O-ring (5/8"x1/2"x1/16") seems to fit well on AR15 front lugs, and fits 308 front lugs with a little stretching. Put the O-ring over the front lug of the upper, install the front pin, then when you close the back of the upper into the lower you'll feel resistance for the last inch or two from the O-ring being compressed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm a big fan of my Demon Tactical piece. It's a cam-lock to replace the rear pin. Locks SOLID. They were impossible to find/buy about six months ago... haven't searched for 'em lately though.
I wish these were still available. Cant find them anywhere. Anyone know where you can find them?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The Armalite match pivot pins are .001 oversize and really help a lot.
This is usually my first course of action. They work great. In fact, I need to pick up some more.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Where do you buy these? I didn't see any on Armalite website
I don't see them either. I sent Armslite a email to see if they still carry the pins. I bought five pins and still have one left for another build. These pins are nice, it would be a shame if they stopped selling them. I have four of the Demon Tactical take down pins and they work good also. But a tight pivot pin makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hmm. I can't find them either.

By the way...I HATE Armalite's new website!!!!! Whoever designed it needs to be fired. It's terrible! I miss the old site.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I prefer an O-ring around the front lug instead of an Accuwedge, set screw, or anything else on the rear lug. Tightening up the rear lug doesn't seem to be as effective, until it's so tight the gun won't come apart easily. The O-ring tightens up both the front and rear together, takes all of 30 seconds to install, and oversized take down pins are still functional for quick field stripping.

A #28 O-ring (5/8"x1/2"x1/16") seems to fit well on AR15 front lugs, and fits 308 front lugs with a little stretching. Put the O-ring over the front lug of the upper, install the front pin, then when you close the back of the upper into the lower you'll feel resistance for the last inch or two from the O-ring being compressed.
This works really well, to my surprise. How long 1 o-ring lasts, I don't know. I bought extras. Great solution!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
This works really well, to my surprise. How long 1 o-ring lasts, I don't know. I bought extras. Great solution!
Depends how tight the gap is and how much the o-ring gets pinched. Most of mine last 10-15 disassemblies, at a guess, some only 2-3. If you don't take it apart, the O-ring lasts indefinitely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts