6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an A2 front sight on my 6.8 upper and would like to replace that with a gas block. How difficult is that to do?

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What tools would I need? Any tricks or suggestions you could offer?

· Registered
9,057 Posts
I haven't seen the videos above but they should help.

You will need a set of punches to drive out the pins and a 8 to 12 ounce hammer. I don't recall the size of the punch but if you have a set then the correct one will be in the set. Check to make sure you drive the pins in the correct direction as some of them are tapered and some are not.

I helped my son do this with a 5.56 of his last year and as said it wasn't too difficult. Get a block of wood to help knock the front sight/gas block loose. You will also need to drive out the pin that retains the gas tube and then put it in the new gas block.

· Registered
5,565 Posts
There's also a thread on ARFCOM about cutting the A2 front sight down to a low profile gas block. Dremel tool for the cutting, and you don't have to disassemble. This works well if you're covering it up with a tube or railed forend. In this thread the guy cut on an A2 front sight disassembled, but with a vice holding things steady, you could do this on the gun fairly easily. By the way, some older Bushmaster Modular carbines had milled A2 gas blocks under the railed forends.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ArtFWTx said:
There's also a thread on ARFCOM about cutting the A2 front sight down to a low profile gas block. Dremel tool for the cutting, and you don't have to disassemble. This works well if you're covering it up with a tube or railed forend. In this thread the guy cut on an A2 front sight disassembled, but with a vice holding things steady, you could do this on the gun fairly easily. By the way, some older Bushmaster Modular carbines had milled A2 gas blocks under the railed forends.

Thanks for the input. I don't I want to cut down the front sight. I have a 20" DPMS with a free float quadrail. I think if I can remove the A2 sight and replace it with a gas block instead it will look a lot more finished plus I'll be able to mount my scope closer to the center of the bore.

· Registered
1,047 Posts
pantherdude said:
ArtFWTx said:

Thanks for the input. I don't I want to cut down the front sight. I have a 20" DPMS with a free float quadrail. I think if I can remove the A2 sight and replace it with a gas block instead it will look a lot more finished plus I'll be able to mount my scope closer to the center of the bore.
Mount your sight closer to the bore without cutting off the sight or replacing it with low profile gas block. You will probably be pleasantly surprised that you can barely see your front sight anyway. Depending on the power level of your scope you might not even see the "shadow" of the front sight. I've been amazed at how little the front post interferes with my scopes. You will notice the U.S. Army's Mark 12 Model 0 has the front sight left alone while mounting a Leupold Mark 4 2.5x8 scope on pretty low rings. You may save some time and money if you leave it alone.

· Registered
5,565 Posts
He's right. I just see a small shadow through an ACOG with the A2 sight post. A higher powered scope and the sight post disappears.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
borderpatrol said:
pantherdude said:
ArtFWTx said:

Mount your sight closer to the bore without cutting off the sight or replacing it with low profile gas block. You will probably be pleasantly surprised that you can barely see your front sight anyway. Depending on the power level of your scope you might not even see the "shadow" of the front sight. I've been amazed at how little the front post interferes with my scopes. You will notice the U.S. Army's Mark 12 Model 0 has the front sight left alone while mounting a Leupold Mark 4 2.5x8 scope on pretty low rings. You may save some time and money if you leave it alone.
Ok, Cool. I'll give that a try. I have a scope mounted on a riser on my 5.56 M4 so I could look over the front sight. I cant see any part of the A2 sight. I guess I thought it was just because the sight wasn't in the middle of my field of view. I'll give mounting my scope without a riser a shot (pun intended) :) .

· Registered
1,509 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.