6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who may not have heard...the following is an excerpt from a Shot Show announcement:

SHOT Show Roundup - A New Player Gets Behind The AR-15 Platform

The big news at this year's SHOT Show, Feb. 2-5, 2008, was the newfound prominence of Cerberus Capital Management as a major player in the firearms industry. Probably best known to the general public for its recent acquisition of controlling interests in Chrysler Corp. and GMAC Financial Services, since April 2006 Cerberus has acquired Bushmaster Firearms, Remington, and DPMS Panther Arms. In addition, since joining the Cerberus family, Bushmaster has acquired Cobb Manufacturing, while Remington purchased Marlin Firearms, which already owns H&R 1871 and New England Firearms, putting four more prominent industry names under the Cerberus umbrella.

A private investment firm with a reputation for buying under-valued companies and investing in their long-term growth, Cerberus appears genuinely committed to developing its firearm industry acquisitions. Under its direction, Bushmaster signed an agreement with Magpul Industries to produce Magpul's advanced, AR-derived Masada modular rifle as the Bushmaster ACR (Adaptive Combat Rifle). DPMS has received the go-ahead to continue developing its LR rifle platform to further expand its footprint in the AR-15/M16 market, while Remington has debuted its R-15, an AR-type geared specifically to the hunter.

Hey Charley Schumer....Who says an AR is not a "sporting" rifle...

Kerry

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes I had.

This info has been out for some time. I am glad to have them producing them and would think a 6.8 version isn't to far behind. Their main focus is hunters and Remington has a huge following in that arena. This is very good for the AR in general as the more hunter that are using it the harder it will be able to say it doesn't have that use. Since their focus is hunters it only makes sense they would offer it in 6.8. Then again given who they have had in place if that climate still exists who knows. Thanks for the info though. It's always welcome.

Tim

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't know if I want Remington making a 6.8 rifle...they f***ed up the round so bad who know's what they might do to a rifle :shock:

·
Registered
441 Posts
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: I am feeling you there. I only want ti becasue of the draw ithey have on the hunting community good or bad having hunters take up the firearm is one of the things that will help us keep them. the enemy of my enemy, Sun Tzu Man of War stuff.

Tim

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got to handle one of Remington branded AR's at the local Gander Mountain store the other day. I don't think it was worth the asking price of $1,099.00 but it seemed well put together and the camo pattern shouldl go over well with the predator, turkey and duck gun crowd. I hope they sell well for Remington. It is good for a long established hunting gun company to adopt the AR platform. Since it is basically a rebadged Bushmaster I don't foresee them doing anything much in the way of changes by offering a 6.8 other than added a camo version.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speaking for myself, I would never buy an R-15 from Remington when I can build a better AR myself for less.

However, I appreciate and support the effect that Remington's move will have in undermining the anti black rifle's "non-sporting use" mantra which too many in the general public have accepted...hook line and sinker.

The more non black AR's we can put into the hunting and shooting sports, the more we influence the non AR gun owner and the general public into accepting all modern black rifles as the technologically improved descendants of wood stocked repeating rifles, which they are.

Kerry

·
Registered
236 Posts
A 6.8 in a Remington rifle? That is wacky!
Is it actually made by Rem or by DPMS? I do like the camo finish though!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would think its bushmaster. Looks identical and they are owned by the same group.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The R-15's from Remington are made by Bushmaster
The .308 caliber R-25 is made by DPMS

I agree that a mainstream major hunting firearms manufacturer selling "black rifles" is a very good thing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts