6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is visiting from Wyoming for Christmas and has never had the chance to do any hunting. We tried when he was little but it turned out he was very allergic to deer and ended up visiting the ER twice so he could keep breathing. :( No big game hunting for him - he is now in his mid-20s.

Yesterday we had the chance to take my new 6.8 out to a friends hunting club and go after a hog. It was a beautiful foggy morning.

He did down a nice 70 Lb Boar for his first kill ever and a first for my new 6.8 AR.

This may not have been the best shot. :lol: It was a bit hard on the front quarters but the Pro-Hunter 110 seems to have done it's job. Loaded with 28.7 gr. of HR322. Entry was a finger size hole and the exit was substantial. There was far less blood shot meat around the exit than I expected with this amount of damage.

Trapdoor

·
Registered
102 Posts
good hunt and OUCH!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
That is great, father and son hunting times are always remembered.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
very cool indeed!
how far out was the hog?

love that first pic!

·
Registered
419 Posts
my boy is only 4 so he gets to see what daddy shoots and brings home
so far he has helped clean squirrel turkey goose and one deer head
Each time he pokes their eyes.
He wants me to take him with me everytime out
This past summer he got to shoot/pull the trigger of our 22lr, with ear muffs
on i heard him squeling with excitement.
So when i get home i have to tell him stories.
which you know grow with each telling hehe ah the one that got away lol
I think any father son memories are great.
how else are the little boys going to learn to be responsible men
but by seeing a man be a man

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ccoker said:
very cool indeed!
how far out was the hog?

love that first pic!
The piggy was out about 20 yards and made himself a good broadside target :) The boy was involved in shooting from a young age and I have photos of him from 6 or 7 shooting my M16 and an old department Thompson. The Thompson was his favorite :) He lost interest in shooting as he got older until joining the army and now seems to like it again.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Oh and thanks for the cool misty picture.
That looked awesome so I saved a copy for my desktop background pic.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Pig hunting is a very fun thing to do, especially when you get one that is just the right size. Just like the pig in the picture. What I like best about hog hunting, is that just about every hog has its own unique look. Whether it be colors or the way their hair is. The past few years, we have been getting pigs that seem to have what looks like a ridge back. I know they are not actually ridge-back pigs but they look neat as hell.

I haven't shot any pigs in about two years. It seems that any time I plan to go pig hunting I don't see one that would like to shoot. However, on the hunts I am only waiting for a good buck I see about 30 hogs. Other times, right before I decide to pull the trigger I start to think about the hassel of cleaning the pig after I kill it and talk myself out of shooting it. I guess I just take for granted having an abundance of hogs at my ranch which is about 15 minutes from my house.

That was a great pig, too bad your son is alergic to deer and has to miss out on the excitement of shooting a big buck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was apparent that he was going to be tender while I was processing this boar. He went into the smoker and then shared the guest of honor spot with a standing rib roast Sunday night at a dinner for 11 people. More people were ‘pigging out’, so he was a hit.
Now I need to go hunting again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts