6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bitten,

It is quite easy to build a large frame AR10 under 6 pounds, with a scope that would be about what a stock AR15 weighs empty. And that's using the full size receivers, there are many now who copied Harrison's small frame 308 build making stock 308's about 7.1 pounds.

Heck my latest AR 6.5 Creedmoor has a 20 inch barrel at 35 ounces. With the same barrel profile it would be slightly lighter with a 6.8 bore. Entire rifle weighs 4.9 pounds, under 6.3 pounds with scope and mount.
Throw up some pics.i would like to see that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know this is a bit of an old thread but I'm playing with a 6.8 Creedmoor right now. I reached 2840 today with 130gr cup and core bullets and both RL15 and RL16 on a Rem 700 platform. I haven't reached pressure with anything I've loaded yet. I'm working slowly with medium rate powders and writing everything down.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would just pick 6.5 Creed or 7mm-08 and go with a cartridge with tons of factory support on parts, barrels and ammo side. Splitting the difference by 0.2mm to 0.3mm is not going to be huge and bite 6.5 and 7mm have a huge selection of bullets. I built an AR 10 in 7mm-08 and did not really add an spice I wasn't already getting from my 7.62×51 rifles except past 500 yards when the higher B.C. was helping with drop and wind. Then built a pair of 6XCs which for punching at 1,000 to 1,400 yards along with NRA across course style shooting are the bees knees.

Followed those up with a pair of 6.5 Creedmoor that I felt gave me enough less drop and ease of doping wind over the 7mm-08 when the 6.5 PRC became the new kid I pulled my 7mm-08 barrel and replaced with a 6.5 PRC which I like for its extra 200 to 300 fps over the 6.5 Creed without losing accuracy but actually gaining due to less time in flight to have wind affect projectile am going to build a second 6.5 PRC before I pile up parts to rebuild a host for my 7mm-08 tube.

Currently have AR 10 chassis rifles in 6XC, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC, (7mm-08 to be rebuilt when have time to pull parts & money to buy appreciate scope), 7.62×51 plus a pair in 338 Federal which are great short to mid range heavy thumpers. 6.5 PRC is what I feel gives me the most overall amount of uses from punching paper or killing at long distance. The 6XC is more accurate but has no @$$ left in its pants to deliver energy on all but varmints at long range. Have considered a 25 caliber and 6.8 caliber AR 10 in a variety of historically efficient wildcats and factory rounds but none have enough advantage over the rifles I have on paper to warrant build cost.

If 30-06 length chassis ARs were not so expensive would already have a 25-06 repeater along with 280 Remington (likely best of such genre) and a 338-06 for sure as all three are known for performance. 30-06 would be lowest on list as already have M1 Garrands in 30-06 (two rack grade & one heavily modified) for launching the piles of milsurp 30-06 black tip have accumulated. If price of AR chassis 30-06 builds fell into fair prices could see myself selling a couple of M1 Garrands to finance jumbo AR 10 builds in same action length.

Reactions: leatherneck

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Let me tell you a story ....... I built a 7×6.8 on a Carcano , don't judge that is a story of its own . We cambered with a CH4D 6.8 SPCII and intended to finish the neck leade and throat with a 7-30 Waters . The punch line is that the neck dia was bigger than the 7-30 . Bearing that in mind one might use 30 or 35 Rem and neck to suit .277 ala' 7-30 Waters which pushed the 30-30 shoulder out and removed most of the case taper . I doubt it would offer much if anything over the 7-30 with the brass limits .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here we are in fall 2021...and sig has developed this exact cartridge. But to withstand the pressures (80,000 to 100,000 psi) they developed a stainless steel brass hybrid cartridge. This is also the proposed new military do all cartridge.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts