6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys before 41f goes live I need to speed up the timeline on an AR-9 lower to SBR with my trust. The questions is which lower do I go with: PSA or NFA/Spartan? Pro's and Cons of each please, are their any real differences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I went with the Frontier armory pattern Glock lower. I went with that one because Glock mags are everywhere and figured it would be easier to build that way.

I bought mine at RunnerRunnerGuns as they were the only ones that had them in stock at the time. After researching on the web it seems like they may be having the New Frontier or whoever makes theirs do the machining as everything looked the same from step downs on the lower to the actual magwell cutouts. Haven't had time to build it yet though say can't say how it will function with generic parts kits yet.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
there are adapter blocks that insert into the mag well to adapt to 9mm mags

You could just SBR a standard lower you have now and convert it later

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
there are adapter blocks that insert into the mag well to adapt to 9mm mags

You could just SBR a standard lower you have now and convert it later
The only issue is that you have to remove the magazine catch every time to put the block in or out I believe.

I am actually SBRing one regular lower and one Glock style 9mm lower so I get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
The only issue is that you have to remove the magazine catch every time to put the block in or out I believe.

mag catch takes 10 seconds to remove/install with no tools needed--- doesn't seem like a big deal to me unless you have to have a "bullet button" --- but then you probably can't have an sbr if you have a bullet button :a17:

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Joe Bobs has the Spartan at a good price if you want it stripped. PSA has there complete MOE lower on sale as well. Both good options, not sure which is the better deal price wise.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I went with the Frontier armory pattern Glock lower. I went with that one because Glock mags are everywhere and figured it would be easier to build that way.

I bought mine at RunnerRunnerGuns as they were the only ones that had them in stock at the time. After researching on the web it seems like they may be having the New Frontier or whoever makes theirs do the machining as everything looked the same from step downs on the lower to the actual magwell cutouts. Haven't had time to build it yet though say can't say how it will function with generic parts kits yet.
I went with this same lower. Quality looks good, and the price was right. I should have it all put together in the next few days when I get some time. I test fit my side charge Spartan upper to it already, and it fits tight.

The Quarter Circle 10 lowers are also very nice. They are a little pricey, but the quality is there. I have one of those for a 10mm build in the future.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the idea of a magwell block because I already have 1 SBR. That's a lower and another stamp I could save. I just haven't seen any that work with glock mags. After stamp and full 9mm AR that's around $1k versus a magwell block and upper in the neighborhood of $500. Plus the money saved will probably just turn into another form 1 suppressor.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I like the idea of a magwell block because I already have 1 SBR. That's a lower and another stamp I could save. I just haven't seen any that work with glock mags. After stamp and full 9mm AR that's around $1k versus a magwell block and upper in the neighborhood of $500. Plus the money saved will probably just turn into another form 1 suppressor.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-9mm-billet-complete-glockc-style-magazine-moe-lower-blk.html

http://www.quartercircle10.com/product/glock-small-frame-lower/

Here are two I know of without even thinking about it.

Don't forget you have to get the correct 9mm bolt with the Glock mag milling.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just got a SIG MPX pistol to SBR. Shooting buddy got one and cost me some buck! Loved shooting his SBR'd SIG MPX better then shooting my PSA 9mm AR.

·
Registered
511 Posts
shrxfn: He's talking about the magazine adapters, not the dedicated lowers.

mag catch takes 10 seconds to remove/install with no tools needed--- doesn't seem like a big deal to me unless you have to have a "bullet button" --- but then you probably can't have an sbr if you have a bullet button :a17:
It was my understanding that the top load style adapters required the bolt catch to be removed. Not exactly a convenient thing to do at the range. Regardless of how quickly you can remove and reinstall a bolt catch at the range, it's not something I want to be doing. Not only does it take time away from the fun stuff, it also creates the potential for lost/broken parts.

I though the bottom loaders did not require removing anything to install. That's what I'm wanting to use on my lower. I've got 1 pistol lower and will be SBRing 1 rifle lower. Thinking about adding a pistol caliber AR to the stable, but will not be using a dedicated lower to do it. If it comes to that, I won't be messing with pistol calibers at all. Not worth the added expense the additional lowers would bring (pistol & carbine + stamp) especially when it would only be good for 9mm. If I start into pistol calibers I will eventually have both 9mm and 45 acp.

For bottom loader blocks, I know of the following:
Hahn: Great product, but expensive. around $200.
Spikes: Discontinued
AMM Arms: Closed shop

Any other bottom loading adapter blocks out there? Preferably ones that are in still production and closer to the $100 mark?

I'll spend the $200 on a Hahn if necessary, at least it easily be swapped between the pistol and carbine lowers. If there is a lower cost option, I'd rather give it a try. If it's half as much I can swallow buying one for each lower.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shrxfn: He's talking about the magazine adapters, not the dedicated lowers.

It was my understanding that the top load style adapters required the bolt catch to be removed. Not exactly a convenient thing to do at the range. Regardless of how quickly you can remove and reinstall an adapter at the range, it's not something I want to be doing. Not only does it take time away from the fun stuff, it also creates the potential for lost/broken parts.

I though the bottom loaders did not require removing anything to install. That's what I'm wanting to use on my lower. I've got 1 pistol lower and will be SBRing 1 rifle lower. Thinking about adding a pistol caliber AR to the stable, but will not be using a dedicated lower to do it. If it comes to that, I won't be messing with pistol calibers at all. Not worth the added expense the additional lowers would bring (pistol & carbine + stamp) especially when it would only be good for 9mm. If I start into pistol calibers I will eventually have both 9mm and 45 acp.

For bottom loader blocks, I know of the following:
Hahn: Great product, but expensive. around $200.
Spikes: Discontinued
AMM Arms: Closed shop

Any other bottom loading adapter blocks out there? Preferably ones that are in still production and closer to the $100 mark?

I'll spend the $200 on a Hahn if necessary, at least it easily be swapped between the pistol and carbine lowers. If there is a lower cost option, I'd rather give it a try. If it's half as much I can swallow buying one for each lower.
Yeah if somebody could make a bottom loading magwell block that fits glock pattern mags they would make a killing, especially if it was LRHO.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went with the Spartan lower and the Spartan side charging LRBHO upper. Very happy with it.

I had built a colt style using the Spikes mag block and liked it as well. The LRBHO was less finicky, but mags were much more finicky and it seemed to need more finesse overall.

After having both, I'd go with the Spartan/NFA with LRBHO upper. Best overall IMO.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I went with the Spartan lower and the Spartan side charging LRBHO upper. Very happy with it.

I had built a colt style using the Spikes mag block and liked it as well. The LRBHO was less finicky, but mags were much more finicky and it seemed to need more finesse overall.

After having both, I'd go with the Spartan/NFA with LRBHO upper. Best overall IMO.

Very Nice! That is nearly identical to my build in progress. Only difference is barrel length maybe (7.5" for me) and I'm using a Trijicon MRO.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Me too. I think I am going to put a 3x prism site on mine that is on the 556 and get a 1-4x or 1-6x for the 556.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I used a "Thor's Hammer" Glock lower from runner runner guns and can highly recommend it. I'm sure it's made by NFA just like the Spartan ones from joe bobs. I had to shim the metal piece that stops the Glock mags when inserting them to get it to work with my PSA upper, but that was simple and took a couple of minutes. The pocket that it sits in was machined too large (IMO) and when the set screws holding it in where tighten it has a slight tilt to it, keeping you from being able to open/close the bolt. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts