6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at picking up a 9mm 1911 for range use.....I already have several .45's and one 10mm, but 9mm ammo is almost cheaper than you can reload and the lower recoil will allow for longer range sessions that I'm looking for. I'm looking at the Colt GC Trophy or something similar. Any experience with the Colt or thoughts on the subject in general? Not interested in the .45 vs 9mm debate, this is about plinking paper.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Colt does not use ramped barrels. Ramped barrels were created to add case support for the higher pressure rounds when shooting competition. Higher pressure being 9mm, 38s, 40 and 10mm. I highly recommend going with a manufacturer like Springfield Armory that uses a ramped barrel.

I own several 9mm 1911s and have built even more for customers. They are as reliable as any modern gun when done right and more enjoyable to shoot than your traditional 45 1911. My other caliber 1911s rarely leave the safe anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a full size Springfield 1911 and its been a great handgun. I used it in IDPA competition for years using just about every weight bullet in commercial or hand loads available for the 9mm. Recoil is light and easy to stay on target with all loads. Keep in mind that it's a full size 1911 and not that light or easy to conceal but it does shoot well and is accurate.

·
Registered
689 Posts
For sheer cost (less expensive), Rock Island and Citadel (made by Rock Island) are tough to beat if all you want is to plink paper with it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a Sig 1911 TACOPS in 9mm, it's terrific. Little recoil, very accurate, 10 rounds in the mag. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

-Stooxie

·
Registered
4 Posts
With a little bit of work the Rock Islands are hard to beat for the price. A new trigger/spring set and some polishing on the rails makes for a nice pistol. Just think, with the money saved you can spend even more on ammo.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
I too agree that the Rock Island can be a good choice. I have a Colt in .45 and have shot thousands of rounds through it and others but also enjoy the 9 mm. I have Rock Islands in 9mm and .45 and the 9 is surprisingly accurate. Using a lighter caliber can enhance your training and be cheaper to do at the same time. Just don't give up on the larger calibers but you won't need to shoot them as much to attain the same level on training.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I recently purchased a 9mm for the same reason. It’s been so fun!!! I don’t even feel like I have to dig through the snow to find my empty brass!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts