6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on this M1917 for a long time, nearly a decade of on and off tinkering. Finally getting it finished up with just a few more details to go.

Barrel date was Oct 1918, but it was worn out. Had a new barrel installed , CBI 30-06, put a Timney 111 trigger, rebuilt the bolt with a Dayton Traister cock on open kit, bolt, extractor and follower jeweled, drilled and tapped for a NOS Redfield scope base, Prairie Hunter stock in pepper laminate from Boyd's, had to adjust the inletting for the trigger and to free float the barrel.

The tape and foam is for figuring out how much I need to add to the comb for proper eye alignment. I've ordered a strap on tactical riser but am also tinkering with one in ABS plastic.

Still need to install pillars and glass bed, then paint all the metal flat black as well as do some load development.

-Alexander

·
Administrator
22,084 Posts
Lookin' sweet !!! Nice work.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, hoping to get it finished up really soon so I can start load development with it. I'm planning on using Berger 175 VLD, H4831, Fed210M, in Win cases. Got a hunt in NV coming up in October and I'll be bringing this gun.

-Alexander

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fast14riot,

Do you know the model number of the Redfield base? I have a Winchester 1917 that was sporterized like yours. The gun club I belong to has a 1000 yd. range and I would like to see what this rifle can do. It will shoot a 1 ragged hole at 100 yds. I have a Williams side mount on it now but it is only with 1" rings. I'm looking to move up to a 30 mm scope in higher magnification. I've seen others say a scope base for a Winchester Model 70 will fit but I'm not sure. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is your P17 milled flat on the rear like mine? My base was made specifically for the P17 milled flat. It's a Redfield Jr base, I'll have to rummage around to see if I can find the box. If it's round on the rear, the Remington M30 bases might work, that is what the 1917 continued as in production.

Post a pic and I'll take a look around my secret trading posts for things like those to see what I can rummage up.

-Alexander

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, it is just like yours with the flat base at the rear of the receiver. I haven't mastered the art of posting pictures yet.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, it is just like yours with the flat base at the rear of the receiver. I haven't mastered the art of posting pictures yet.
Might take a while, but search routinely for Redfield P17 flat scope base. Next challenge is finding a Smith who knows and is willing to drill and tap the receiver. These things are hard. Carbide bits are required, holes should be blind drilled as its right above the lug.

The 4 primary ways these were cut are flat, Rem 30, Win 70, R700. Flat and Rem 30 are the two I have seen the most.

I'll do some digging through my contacts.

-Alexander

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got the cheek riser finished and fitting good, had to fit then modify about 4 times!

-Alexander

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, feels good to be so close to final completion!

-Alexander

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Nicely done! P17 is a great action for boomer chamberings I understand.

Have not been that much a fan of the P17 because of the work involved to make a very nice sporter. As a result have done Mauser 98s. I do like the double square bridge look ... so the work I didn't put into a P17 ended up in custom mounts that give the double square bridge appearance. Just goes to demonstrate that the work goes into them regardless!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts