6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first of the bullet info gathering threads, lets try to keep the chit chat to a minimum and not argu with others opinions. Please just post the facts or your experience with the bullets. How they performed on game, the accuracy of the bullet and loading data that produced good accuracy. If you don't have any experience please let those that do have experience provide the info for others to learn from.
length 1.033
BC- .296

We had always said a 95-100gr mono bullet would be the perfect weight for the 6.8. Thanks to Bill Wilson for talking Barnes into it. The 95TTSX is an expensive premium bullet but likely produces the best all around terminal performance.
After going through most of this 10 months later it looks like 2.295" OAL has been the favorite length. 30gr of AA2200 powder seems to be a favorite load at apx 2900 fps out of a 16" barrel but there are several others shown to be accurate. Read though the threads below to find others results.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I have many, many kills on game with this bullet, both deer, hogs and some varmints. I believe it is the best all-around bullet for 6.8. It has other features that make it attractive, especially the opening velocity of 1600 FPS. That means it will likely function at around 350-400 yards, depending upon the load and rifle from which its fired.

It also has a flatter trajectory than most of the heavier bullets.

Retains all its weight, so expansion is consistent and reliable.

I've always favored the following three loads:

1) 30 grains AA2200, SSA, CCI 41, and 2.295" OAL, no crimp

2) 29.5 grains RE 10X, SSA, CCI 41, 2.295"

3) 28.2 grains Re 7, SSA, WSRM, 2.295" (ETA: that target shold say "2.295" OAL)

Kills out to 300 in my personal field experience. This hog was killed right at 295 yards...with a 12 inch barreled SBR no less.

Exceptionally reliable and consistent expansion:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Most accurate load out of my Stag 7H, one hole groups @ 100 Yds. Good accuracy out of Stag 5H. Have not shot any game yet, but will this year.
Load data: 29.2 grns RL10X, SSA brass, 2.285" OAL. Avg 2741 fps out of 5H, avg 2890 fps out of 7H.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Just started using this bullet before the start of deer season. Used a handload consisting of 30 grains 2200, CCI #41, SSA brass, 2.295" OAL. Proved very effective on deer and hogs with no signs of pressure in any of my uppers. Like others I like everything about it except for the cost. In my opinion, the best hunting bullet for the 6.8 until something better comes along.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I have been very impressed with the performance of this bullet. Yet to give them some field time, but definitely will be taking these on my next hunt and leave the 120 sst as back ups. I really want to see the cavitation this bullet makes, just because there is a little more energy than my current 120gr. sst load.

1/2" group @100 with 3058fps avg. with a Stag 7h. SSA brass CCI 41's 30gr. of AA2200 COAL 2.285. I will give 2.295 a go though.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

This should tell you most of what you want to know

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have an ARP 18" SS Upper. Two seasons ago I found a load using H322 that produced consistent 1" groups. I shot three deer with this combination - two lung shots and one through both front legs. Two were shot at 30-40 yards and the other was at 85 yards (my avatar</SPAN>). The lung shot deer proved to be hard to track. In fact one was lost. The blood trail on these two was slight to non-existing. With that said, this bullet does seem to perform as designed and will exit. PLease take my opinion for what it is with only three confirmed kills.

Since others are having really good luck with the 95TTSX, I recently tried them with AA2200. Every group I shot in my test run averaged 0.50 to below 1" at 100 yards. I choose 30.0 grains to test different COAL with 2.295" being the winner. I will be hunting with this load next season.

Loads (with necks turned to 0.013 maximum and a light crimp Lee FCD):
95TTSX with 29.6grs H322 COAL 2.300 & CCI41 Velocity - 2690 Group size - 0.928"
95TTSX with 30.0grs AA2200 COAL 2.295 & CCI41 Velocity - 2808 Group size - 0.736"

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
The 95 TTSX is my favorite bullet for the 6.8. I'm still loading RE 10x( I have a good supply on my bench), and can't complain about its performance( the powder). This summer, I'll start playing with AA2200, and maybe make a change for this coming hunting season.

This bullet really boosts the performance of the 6.8. We rarely recover the bullets on game, as they almost always give complete penetration, and they always expand. Combined with excellent accuracy, what's not to love!

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
The 95 TTSX is my favorite bullet for the 6.8. I'm still loading RE 10x( I have a good supply on my bench), and can't complain about its performance( the powder). This summer, I'll start playing with AA2200, and maybe make a change for this coming hunting season.

This bullet really boosts the performance of the 6.8. We rarely recover the bullets on game, as they almost always give complete penetration, and they always expand. Combined with excellent accuracy, what's not to love!
My experience, too. However, I have already switched over to AA2200, and I did notice just a little more accuracy from the ball versus the stick powder. All in all, the load is still my favorite, and I completely agree with the statement that it "boosts the performance of the 6.8"

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I agree as its my favorite as well. It put a very nice 3/4" hole all the way through the neck of the deer i took at HTRs place and has similar results since. What people still fail to see, in my experience, is the effective design over the modern bullets that bring the performance up considerably. I still hear the, well a 95gr bullets awfully small. Im ok with that lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
So, is there a benifit to that deeper channel on the Nosler? I would be a little concerned of the bullet losing mass if it comes apart too much.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Accurate but pricey. This the first Barnes that has been this accurate for me.
dime size and smaller for groups, will give this bullet a try even though its pricey
again not as fast as others, opens at lower velocities
Barnes 95gr TTSX
29.8gr H322 Fed205M primers, Hornady Brass
2.285 O.A.L.
2648 fps

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

........what he said ;-)

·
Registered
50 Posts
So now hat I just received 200 rounds of 85g TSX I see all this praise for the 95g.

Other than the obvious 10g weight what else am I giving up?

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
So now hat I just received 200 rounds of 85g TSX I see all this praise for the 95g.

BBoswell, don't feel alone I have 12 bxs of SSA 110 barnes TSX and 5bxs Hornady 120SST...LOL Just can't or don't need every possibility.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts

The bullet being able to expand at a bit longer range...that's about it.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts