6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first of the bullet info gathering threads, lets try to keep the chit chat to a minium and not argu with others opinions. Please just post the facts or your experience with the bullets. How they performed on game, the accuracy of the bullet and loading data that produced good accuracy. If you don't have any experience please let those that do have experience provide the info for others to learn from.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is one accurate bullet at least to 200 yards, but with a very low BC (only .195 I believe). I had the best luck with 32.5gr of H335 out of my Stag 20" loaded to 2.260". Velocity averaged 2,917 fps and 100 yard groups were in the .3XX" range and 200 yard groups in the 1.1-1.3" range.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I shot the 90 gr Sierra's this weekend loaded in .5 gr increments from 30 32 grains of AA-2200 COAL 2.285
I shot two groups of 5 rounds each.
The wind was 7 to 14 mph left to right pretty much. and it was 85 degrees with 12% humidity.
The gun is a Bison barreled 18 inch, mid gas. ITS super bolt. I had a 2-7 x 32 Redfield mounted and I really need more glass for accuracy testing.
I used a Hornady LnL for all the loads rather than weighing each of them. I'm looking for real world performance and apparently, in the real world the ES is kinda wide.
All the loads were safe in my gun with no signs of pressure at all.
My favorite load was the 32 grainer. ES was 34 fpm from 3003 to 3037 with an average of 3017. The group was 1/2" high but about 1.5" wide. None of my other groups looked much better.
I'll hope for less wind and strap a 24 power scope to her and try this one again this coming weekend if I get a chance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Rolled a few of these and tossed them downrange today. Cardinal Armory 18" 1:10 reamed out to SPC II. 28.0 gr of RL7 in SSA brass with a CCI400 primer. Ave 2843 ES 37 SD 14. Minor swipes, primers not flattened. Nice, round 0.7" group from the prone with a 3.5-9 Leupy. I'm happy. 90 grains of lead love looking for a coyote.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
I use these a lot, love them! 18" ARP Target crowned barrel with a Leupold VX3 on top, 29g of RL7 is giving me 2940fps and .4" groups. Lightning strike to yotes, they just crumble.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The 90 Sierra is more accurate in both of my 6.8's than the 90 TNT's. I use Rel. 7 powder also. The BC is lower on the Sierra but I don't get to shoot long range anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has there been any fragmentation testing with this bullet at 6.8 SPC capable speeds?

I have no plans to shoot this bullet beyond 200 yards, but would be more interested in terminal effect.

It was never designed to be a match bullet, so why is there so much worry about BC. Just like the 6.8 SPC, not a match cartridge.

·
Registered
654 Posts
It was never designed to be a match bullet, so why is there so much worry about BC.
If this bullet is a lot more accurate for somebody at the ranges they shoot than the TNT they probably don't care much about the BC.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Shot some of these today. 16" ARP scout barrel. Mixed federal and SSA brass. Remington 7 1/2 primers. 0.2 gr increments from 29.8 to 30.4 gr AA2200. This is the best group (30.4gr). Max load is 31.4 gr so I'm going to load some 30.6 and 30.8 to see if the groups tighten up at all. I was shooting from a bench with a bipod, no bags or anything and the barrel was plenty warm. Hoping to get some makeshift bags and some cold/cool bore shots downrange.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Hit the range today again to test a few more loads. Rifle used was 16" ARP scout profile barrel w/ vortex viper pst 2.5-10x44 @ 100 yards.

Brass: Federal
Primer: CCI 400
Powder: AA2200
COAL: 2.295"

(I NEED a chrono, but unfortunately do not have one right now...)

I tested 30.4gr, 30.6gr, and 30.8 gr. Below is a five shot group of the 30.6 gr loads. 30.4 was still pretty good, just like my post right above this. 30.8 gr wasn't very good, about 1.5 MOA. Looks like 30.6 grains will be my load!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a cmmg Wasp II 6.8 SPCII upper, 16" length. This is my results from loading today. Powder: Benchmark 31.8 grains, Bullet:90 gr Sierra Varminter, COL 2.269, Velocity 2674-2691. Shot a .626 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards and another .905 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards. My gun seems to like this load, very slight swipes on a few cases, no other pressure signs. This load is over max and probably is slightly compressed, but did not give me any issues. I know this is not the correct powder for this bullet, but its all I have on hand right now. With H4198 or something faster I probably could have pushed that bullet close to 3000. I did load some yesterday at 30 grains and they were not as accurate as these hotter loads.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Here is one I like,
Case- Fed.
Primer- 450
OAL- 2.295"
Temp- 90
Barrel- 16" ARP Scout
Powder- LT-32 32.0 gr.
Accuracy- .5" or better ten shot group
Velocity- 2875fps
ES- 20
SD- 10

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm glad I still have 300 in my bullet stash. I will find a good load and save them for coyotes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Despite being discontinued, I found another box of these bullets at my LGS, and will use my ~270 round stash exclusively for nuisance hunts. Accuracy is excellent, with an average of (5) 5-shot groups being 0.93" at 100 yards. Rifle is an 18" Stainless CHF PSA (FN?), thin profile, bead blasted. Bullets are loaded into Remington cases, CCI 200 large primers, 30.1gr Benchmark, COAL of 2.249". No chrono, so no testament to speed.

I use this load for Ohio deer (crop damage permits). I've taken at least 4 deer with this load (off the top of my head, maybe more). I've never recovered a bullet, nor fragments.. 2 of the 4 dropped in their tracks (both measured 150 yards). One ran and dropped within 40 yards (30 yard shot). The 4th was a poor shot on my part (120 yards and standing). I hit the spine, and the bullet passed through, the deer didn't go far (maybe 20 yards).

Zero qualms about using this for deer. It punches well above it's paygrade.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts