6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i thought i got the last one, who knows, i'll leave it for someone else to scarf

·
Registered
246 Posts
If only I wasn't on vacation I might have had a chance at some of these. I wish Federal would just sell them as components.

·
Registered
650 Posts
By most around here's standards am a total newbie and totally ignorant about the 6.8 spc II cartridge. About three years ago started reading posts on another discussion board about the 6.8 and guy posted some pictures of an elk he had killed with a 14.5" AR carbine. Did just a tad of research and ordered a barrel and bolt along with a few magazines. Fired one box of ammo and felt like had just discovered fire and the wheel at the same time. Ordered two more barrels then suddenly found myself with three 6.8's and no ammo.

Guess I was lucky and found a site with 6.8 pull down brass and 90 grain pull down Gold Dots. Tapped the buy button and soon 5,000 cases and 10,000 90 grain bullets arrived and had to build a load. Took them out to the range and a few other placed to discover basically had equivalent of a 308 in a carbine package out to 250 yards. Since then have found components here and there to add to the pile but am the cheapest old cuss on the planet so if cheap buy the entire lot. I reload for two reasons, save money and tailor loads to my pet rifles. When Palmetto ran a weekend special on factory loaded 90 grain ammo I pushed the button till said "out of inventory".

Joined here a while back but due to some health and work issues have not had time to lurk much till a few days ago. Seems to me from what I am learning components are not easy to find at reasonable prices for the 6.8 and when appear better buy all you can find. Ended up with over 20,000 Gold Dots as found a couple of my vendors offering lots of pull downs between Thanksgiving and New Years of 2014. Must have been lucky as piled the stuff deep enough that have now built five 6.8's. Three 14.7", one 16" and one 18" and have enough bolts and barrels to screw together more but till find ammo to support them don't see the need to screw together anymore now.

I like my Gold Dots but actually came lurking a couple days ago because a local gun shop sold me a deal in six boxes of 85 grain Barnes Copper Solids and another sold me two more boxes as have been sitting on the shelf collecting dust for over a year. Am I correct in my observation that fair priced 6.8 ammo and components are rare and to just sweep the shelf when find them? Apparently few in my area have jumped on the bus. Have two suppressors sitting in holding for BATFE papers to come back for the 6.8's as fast becoming my favorite round to shoot as it stuns people to see a small thermonuclear explosion happen downrange after touching off a round from an AR15 carbine.

All my high dollar 223/5.56 Mk 12 Mod 1 clones are starting to gather dust except for varmint hunting. I am a harder at heart and believe each rifle is useless without a truckload of ammo to feed it. Am getting the sense I need to get proactive in hunting 6.8 components. I appreciate all the info guys and if there is some unwritten rule of not buying everything you find when hits the web let me know and will stop cleaning the vendors inventory when find stuff. Noticed a box with 5,000 6.8 Gold Dot pull downs sitting in the corner at work yesterday. So if we have some form of 6.8 etiquette rules please let me know, don't want to be the bad guy hoarding and leaving others in a lurch in the future.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By most around here's standards am a total newbie and totally ignorant about the 6.8 spc II cartridge. About three years ago started reading posts on another discussion board about the 6.8 and guy posted some pictures of an elk he had killed with a 14.5" AR carbine. Did just a tad of research and ordered a barrel and bolt along with a few magazines. Fired one box of ammo and felt like had just discovered fire and the wheel at the same time. Ordered two more barrels then suddenly found myself with three 6.8's and no ammo.

Guess I was lucky and found a site with 6.8 pull down brass and 90 grain pull down Gold Dots. Tapped the buy button and soon 5,000 cases and 10,000 90 grain bullets arrived and had to build a load. Took them out to the range and a few other placed to discover basically had equivalent of a 308 in a carbine package out to 250 yards. Since then have found components here and there to add to the pile but am the cheapest old cuss on the planet so if cheap buy the entire lot. I reload for two reasons, save money and tailor loads to my pet rifles. When Palmetto ran a weekend special on factory loaded 90 grain ammo I pushed the button till said "out of inventory".

Joined here a while back but due to some health and work issues have not had time to lurk much till a few days ago. Seems to me from what I am learning components are not easy to find at reasonable prices for the 6.8 and when appear better buy all you can find. Ended up with over 20,000 Gold Dots as found a couple of my vendors offering lots of pull downs between Thanksgiving and New Years of 2014. Must have been lucky as piled the stuff deep enough that have now built five 6.8's. Three 14.7", one 16" and one 18" and have enough bolts and barrels to screw together more but till find ammo to support them don't see the need to screw together anymore now.

I like my Gold Dots but actually came lurking a couple days ago because a local gun shop sold me a deal in six boxes of 85 grain Barnes Copper Solids and another sold me two more boxes as have been sitting on the shelf collecting dust for over a year. Am I correct in my observation that fair priced 6.8 ammo and components are rare and to just sweep the shelf when find them? Apparently few in my area have jumped on the bus. Have two suppressors sitting in holding for BATFE papers to come back for the 6.8's as fast becoming my favorite round to shoot as it stuns people to see a small thermonuclear explosion happen downrange after touching off a round from an AR15 carbine.

All my high dollar 223/5.56 Mk 12 Mod 1 clones are starting to gather dust except for varmint hunting. I am a harder at heart and believe each rifle is useless without a truckload of ammo to feed it. Am getting the sense I need to get proactive in hunting 6.8 components. I appreciate all the info guys and if there is some unwritten rule of not buying everything you find when hits the web let me know and will stop cleaning the vendors inventory when find stuff. Noticed a box with 5,000 6.8 Gold Dot pull downs sitting in the corner at work yesterday. So if we have some form of 6.8 etiquette rules please let me know, don't want to be the bad guy hoarding and leaving others in a lurch in the future.
The 6.8 has steadily been growing over the years so more people are snatching up the components, my Cabelas carries some 6.8 ammo but your better deals can be found online so that's where most of us get our components, as for the 90gr GD's those are harder to come by because they are pulls downs from military contract ammo, you're lucky to have been able to snatch up so many, I have about 5k, manufactureres of popular 6.8 items always seem to underestimate the market and they sell out, weve been waiting over a year on 110gr accubonds and no matter how much we contact nosler, they dont seem to get the point.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
The 6.8 has steadily been growing over the years so more people are snatching up the components, my Cabelas carries some 6.8 ammo but your better deals can be found online so that's where most of us get our components, as for the 90gr GD's those are harder to come by because they are pulls downs from military contract ammo, you're lucky to have been able to snatch up so many, I have about 5k, manufactureres of popular 6.8 items always seem to underestimate the market and they sell out, weve been waiting over a year on 110gr accubonds and no matter how much we contact nosler, they dont seem to get the point.
Right! I sure wish Nosler would get moving on the 100 and 110ABs. I think Nosler would give the 120SST a run for the money if they made a 110 or 120BT. I use the 6.5 100gr BT in H's SIX5. That bullet does nasty things to pigs running about 2775fps out the muzzle. Sometimes I feel like Nosler just don't care.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
not a 3 week wait on shipping this time, got a shipped notice today

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine shipped out today also. I've spent so much money the past year and a half trying to build a stockpile because of the criminals running our country. Could've used the money for other things but it is what it is.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
me too, but it's only paper and in the final analysis not even good toilet paper, as long as folks want to trade me things of real value for paper i'll keep on gathering

·
Banned
61 Posts
me too, but it's only paper and in the final analysis not even good toilet paper, as long as folks want to trade me things of real value for paper i'll keep on gathering
^^^THIS^^^

I worked with a guy, his wifes parents (in Belarus) bought a house foreseeing a downfall in their economy, soon after ya coldnt even buy a loaf of bread with the amount they paid for the house.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Got a phone call from AR this afternoon, guy said he only had 750 of the 1k 90gr GD's i ordered and asked if i would accept 500 115gr's in place of the 250 he was missing, i said sure, it is what it is.
i got the 500 i ordered today, gonna have to go into the corn cob rotary

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
bullets cleaned up really well, better than the last batches i got from them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts