6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fenixmike's post about Speer 90 grain bullets got me to thinking. (dangerous thing for a wondering mind)

The Speer 90 grain looks pretty much like the Gold Dots I bought a while back. Do they perform the same or is one noticeably better?

Hoping to hear from first hand experience regarding these little hog pills. Thanks

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The Speer TNT is a varmint bullet, the Gold Dot is a bonded medium game/human bullet. I would not consider the TNT 'little hog pills' in any way but they make for accurate and relatively cheap plinking or coyote bullets.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The Speer TNT has a higher B.C. if that matters, .275 vs the Gold Dot at .236. Both are good for coyotes IMO.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The Speer TNT has a higher B.C. if that matters, .275 vs the Gold Dot at .236. Both are good for coyotes IMO.
Out to 300 yds or so, the BC makes no difference worth worrying about.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. A varmit bullet will not be my hog hunting bullet. I tried the 55 grain 6mm ballistic tip a few times and even good shot placement resulted in the loss of a wounded animal. I will NOT be doing that again ! As a one shot, one kill hunter....I was very unhappy with the results.

The Speer TNT is a varmint bullet, the Gold Dot is a bonded medium game/human bullet. I would not consider the TNT 'little hog pills' in any way but they make for accurate and relatively cheap plinking or coyote bullets.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have fired a small boat load of the tnt's .29.4/rl7,and several hundred gold dot's.They are both VERY accurate out to 300 and for me they are so close it's difficult to say one edge's out the other. Both are great plinking bullet's with enough punch to chew up a concret house block with ease.,,,p.s. the G.D.is also 29.4 rl7 or 30.4 A.A. 2200.This is out of a 22inch bison bore.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have fired a small boat load of the tnt's .29.4/rl7,and several hundred gold dot's.They are both VERY accurate out to 300 and for me they are so close it's difficult to say one edge's out the other. Both are great plinking bullet's with enough punch to chew up a concret house block with ease.,,,p.s. the G.D.is also 29.4 rl7 or 30.4 A.A. 2200.This is out of a 22inch bison bore.
by chance do you know what your muzzle fps is?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes.......unfortunately they don't sell as reloading bullet. And as stated by others, the TNT is a varmit design which will not penetrate and produce good results on game animals. Been there, done that with the ballistic tip 55 grain 6mm. It was great fps....4000 at muzzle. Lazer fast and highly expansive on impact which is great for prairie dogs, jack rabbits and even coyotes. BUT, I took several very well placed shots on deer and hogs that resulted in surface damage which caused injury but no ethical harvest. I will not be doing that again.

I hate putting holes in animals, I intend to harvest ethically and humanely(one shot) and have them run off in pain and very likely a slow painful death by infection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts