6.8 SPC Forums banner
281 - 285 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Side note about the earlier LC discussion. Winchester won the management contract back from ATK after 20 years. OLN (Winchester parent) stock is now up about 300%
Whoever runs Lake City must meet certain specified parameters as far as quality control, etc. If they don't meet those parameters, the military will yank that contract in a heartbeat. So, I wouldn't have any issues using LC brass, but I wouldn't touch Winchester branded brass for all the money in the US Mint.

·
Registered
122 Posts
According to my contact at Federal:
“Just looked at the bills of materials for the two 90gr loads. The loaded rounds are identical between the XM68GD and the Fusion 90gr. Same brass part number, same primer, same powder, same bullet, and both have permabond water seal around the case mouth. The loaded rounds have the same part number.
Since same loaded round, same pressure and velocity specs, too. Although, the XM68GD has government quality auditors that inspect, whereas the Fusion does not.”
A bit old but definitely made my day. I like the Fusion load but didnt think it was held in as high a regard as the xm68 load but if they truly are the same, or basically the same, then I'm sitting on 500 rounds of it as I've been buying a box here, two boxes there, every time I go to shoot at a local-ish range. These folks have kept a stock of ammo to make anyone envious even through this recent madness and theyve pretty consistently had the 90gr Fusion MSR as well as the Hornady 100gr GMX load for sale, of which I always partake, but mostly the 90gr Fusion.

I'm loading my 90gr GSs (new from RMR as well) in both SSA and S&B new primed, CCI41 and 31.1gr of A2200. Really would like to find my best load using H4198 too, or H322, so thanks for a great thread.

·
Registered
508 Posts
According to my contact at Federal:
“Just looked at the bills of materials for the two 90gr loads. The loaded rounds are identical between the XM68GD and the Fusion 90gr. Same brass part number, same primer, same powder, same bullet, and both have permabond water seal around the case mouth. The loaded rounds have the same part number.
Since same loaded round, same pressure and velocity specs, too. Although, the XM68GD has government quality auditors that inspect, whereas the Fusion does not.”
That is really good to know! I like the 115 gr Fusion and I have several rds of the XM68GD. That will work for me for now, hopefully my rifle will like the 90 gr stuff.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Here is my recent work up for 90 Grain Gold Dot loads. Stag 7H with 21” barrel. Fired from bench with sand bags for rest. Caldwell chrono. 5 shot groups. Measure top 4 to dampen out shooter error 🙂

S&B brass and Federal AR match primers for both. OAL 2.29.

H322
Charge. Avg vel. SD. Group size
30.7g. 2842. 3.9. .547
31.0g. 2878. 3.2. .844
31.3g. 2903. 9.6. .640
31.6g. 2920 9.5. .993
thanks for sharing. Thats about where I was as well charge wise with h322.

281 - 285 of 285 Posts