6.8 SPC Forums banner
241 - 260 of 285 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,279 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Why you people purchase "pulls" as opposed to new boxed bullets?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Because we're cheap.

That said, on the occasions stuff like the RMR 90gd overruns or SPS overruns or blems are available it is time to stock up.

Reactions: Txmedic1292

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Why you people purchase "pulls" as opposed to new boxed bullets?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Pulls like the 90 gr Gold Dot are exceptionally good bullets, whether new or pulled. I bought over 2000 of them a few years ago for about half of what new in the box would've cost, plus at that time the 90 GD wasn't sold as a component.

·
Registered
661 Posts
XM68GD - LabRadar Tests

Took the new LabRadar out today for the first time. Captured 18 rouds of XM68GD out of my 16" ARP 5R 11.25 Scout (ARP built upper). Got some data with AE68 as well. I'm surprised how you can track with granularity the velocity of each bullet every few yards. I grabbed one and threw it on a scatterplot graph out to about 100yds. Wish it tracked drop as well, that would be pretty slick. Anyway, here are pics of the data I got today fro XM68GD out of my 16" ARP. First pic is of a single shot Velocity v Distance. Second Pic is the data for the 18 shots together and averages, sd, es. (18 bc it missed two of the shots or I didn't arm it, can't remember)

Test.jpg Test2.JPG

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Nice! I was hoping demand would be high enough it would be kept in good supply.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Took the new LabRadar out today for the first time. Captured 18 rouds of XM68GD out of my 16" ARP 5R 11.25 Scout (ARP built upper). Got some data with AE68 as well. I'm surprised how you can track with granularity the velocity of each bullet every few yards. I grabbed one and threw it on a scatterplot graph out to about 100yds. Wish it tracked drop as well, that would be pretty slick. Anyway, here are pics of the data I got today fro XM68GD out of my 16" ARP. First pic is of a single shot Velocity v Distance. Second Pic is the data for the 18 shots together and averages, sd, es. (18 bc it missed two of the shots or I didn't arm it, can't remember)

View attachment 52385 View attachment 52387
Those LabRadars are neat. If I hand loaded it would be a worthwhile investment. I recently captured some XM68GD through an 18” 1:11 SS barrel and averaged 2901 over 15 shots. Fastest was 2921, slowest 2884. That cartridge is screaming fast for a factory 90g projectile. Cool graph, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
661 Posts
Those LabRadars are neat. If I hand loaded it would be a worthwhile investment. I recently captured some XM68GD through an 18” 1:11 SS barrel and averaged 2901 over 15 shots. Fastest was 2921, slowest 2884. That cartridge is screaming fast for a factory 90g projectile. Cool graph, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem. I’ll run some handloads through it soon in that rifle with the 90gr GD, that was the first trip out.

·
Registered
661 Posts
10.5" ARP 90gr GD 30.4gr AA2200 Can

Captured 86 shots on the lab radar for this setup:

10.5" ARP 6.8 SPC II Barrel
FC Cases
CCI450 Primers
90gr Gold Dot bullet
AA2200 @ 30.4gr
Loaded to cannelure
50F, 90%

Avg FPS: 2,480
Avg FPS @ 100y: 2,111
Avg FPS @ 150y: 1,986 (very small sample of 6 shots)
SD: 20+ FPS, I need to work on this, I haven't tuned this load for accuracy or SD. This exercise was more about velocity at 100y

Summary: I wondered if the 90gr GD in a 10.5" barrel be used for hunting at 100y, and in, based on it's minimum opening velocity. I don't know what that is for the 90gr GD (I'm sure it's in an xman thread) but assuming it's around 1,800 FPS, I think we could conclude an expectation of decent expansion at 100y (2,111 fps) with a 10.5" barrel and this bullet. I don't plan on hunting with this barrel, but it could act as a self defense round for large 4 legged animals here in Washington (hiking/atv/truck gun).

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
XM68GD Availability

Not to change the subject, but does anyone know why Federal XM68GD ammunition has become scarce? Even some of the larger online sellers that I've checked out don't have it.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Not to change the subject, but does anyone know why Federal XM68GD ammunition has become scarce? Even some of the larger online sellers that I've checked out don't have it.
It was overflow for a government contract, i think overseas. The 90 MSR fusion is supposed to basically be the same round.

·
Registered
2 Posts
According to my contact at Federal:
“Just looked at the bills of materials for the two 90gr loads. The loaded rounds are identical between the XM68GD and the Fusion 90gr. Same brass part number, same primer, same powder, same bullet, and both have permabond water seal around the case mouth. The loaded rounds have the same part number.
Since same loaded round, same pressure and velocity specs, too. Although, the XM68GD has government quality auditors that inspect, whereas the Fusion does not.”

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Got to work the 18" ARP group buy barrel trying some 90GD pulls with H4198 in new Starline brass. CCI450 and 2.28". 85°F/30'msl/47%humidity.

28.0gr got me 0.93". Went up to 29.0 wo any brass signs.

Don't know why the pic attached wonky.

Attachments

241 - 260 of 285 Posts