6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of the bullet info gathering threads. No questions or commentary; start another thread if you need to. Please just post the facts or your experience with the bullets. How they performed on game, the accuracy of the bullet, load data, etc...

If you don't have any experience please let those that do have experience provide the info for others to learn from.

As of this posting, these are not available as load components but their loaded ammunition information may be beneficial.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
HTR's post from the other thread...

As I get older, I shy away from the term "better" when comparing such things. The 90 GD held a surprising amount of its weight, given its relatively inexpensive construction. ATK seems to have produced a truly "bonded" bullet. In the presentation I gave to CTTSO / TSWG, I showed that the lead held to the copper even when it was extruded out along the petals....impressive.

These 90 GD bullets were recovered from hog carcasses. Most of them penetrated through two carcasses, when fired out to 200 yards. The velocities were from 2450 to 2860 left to right.

copyright, Wild River Ranch. LLc, all rights reserved

The Gold dot holds weight a little better than the Accubond. It was designed primarily for a very short barrel, but I've fired plenty of them in 16 and 20 inch barrels and they still expand reliably and hold lots of that weight. You can see above, that when I fired them near 2900 FPS, they lost more weight and uniformity in the expansion. The three bullets have different properties, so one of them may work better than the other two, for others.

The TSX is the toughest bullet, holding most of its weight, but the compromise is that its LOVT (low opening speed) is going to be higher and may not expand quite as reliably on softer target substrate. Its a very easy bullet to load, and its produced some of my most accurate loads in 6.8. Its seems to kill both deer and hogs very effectively.

The 90 GD holds most of its weight, despite being a "industrial / blue collar" looking bullet. Its got no fancy ballistic tip, and its short and stubby. The flat meplat gives it a good sized cavity which is filled with lead. I must admit I was surprised to see that the expansion was quite similar to that of the TSX, so the design of the cavity and the skiving seem to make it deform like a pinwheel with great regularity. It left a wound very similar to that of the 85 TSX / 95 TTSX, and to that of the Accubond as well. It is an excellent all-around bullet, which seems to cover lots of bases and do lots of things well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tested a batch of these (factory xm68gd rounds) last weekend at the range. 5 shot groups at 100 yards typically ran 1-1/4 to just under 1". The group below was my last 10 rounds on the day.

Barrel is 16" Wilson Combat, scope is 1-4x Leupold (set at 4).

·
Registered
83 Posts
This past summer I picked up several boxes of these xm68gd bullets from Palmetto. The upper I shot them through is a 18" stainless mid length from Palmetto. I believe Wilson's combat made the barrel for Palmetto. As far as how the bullets shoot, I've been getting right around 1" groups at 100 yards. The scope I've been shooting through is a 3-9x Redfield. Seems like a really good load. I plan on taking it deer hunting here in Michigan this coming weekend.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
This past summer I picked up several boxes of these xm68gd bullets from Palmetto. The upper I shot them through is a 18" stainless mid length from Palmetto. I believe Wilson's combat made the barrel for Palmetto. As far as how the bullets shoot, I've been getting right around 1" groups at 100 yards. The scope I've been shooting through is a 3-9x Redfield. Seems like a really good load. I plan on taking it deer hunting here in Michigan this coming weekend.
From my understanding, Wilson Barrels are not affiliated with Wilson Combat unless Wilson Combat purchases barrels from Wilson Barrels.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I ordered from MiamiMike on here for his introductory offering to 6.8 forum for my lwrc.... But now with the uppers I'm building both with barrels I got from H (16in SOCOM) and (18in target crown) I'm curious how this ammo will run with the 11.25 twist rate.

In my LWRC upper (1:10) it ran fantastic. No FTF,FTE business and groups were consistent around 1" - 1.5" groups at 100-150 yards respectively.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
It will be better

I ordered from MiamiMike on here for his introductory offering to 6.8 forum for my lwrc.... But now with the uppers I'm building both with barrels I got from H (16in SOCOM) and (18in target crown) I'm curious how this ammo will run with the 11.25 twist rate.

In my LWRC upper (1:10) it ran fantastic. No FTF,FTE business and groups were consistent around 1" - 1.5" groups at 100-150 yards respectively.
If your concern is twist rate, Harrison's 11.25 twist rate is plenty fast enough for the short Federal 90 grain bullets. A 13" twist rate would stabilize those bullets. As for accuracy in Harrison's barrels, it will be better than the LWRCI hammer forged barrels.

Daniel

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I was fortunate last weekend to harvest a doe at 190 yards with a 90gr Federal Gold Dot (factory load). This was the first time I have hunted with any of the Federal Fusion/Gold Dot bullets. The West Texas terrain was fairly open and devoid of dense underbrush allowing me to be able to track the deer’s movements if it ran off. The bullet hit the shoulder on the near-side, penetrated the rib cage and chest cavity, then broke the back two ribs on the far-side before being contained by the hide. The doe ran 75 yards then folded up. The recovered bullet is pictured below and was shot with a 16" ARP with a mv of 2875 fps. The bullet mushroomed very symmetrically and weighted 86.9 grains, retaining 97% of its weight.

Reactions: Nick M

·
Registered
228 Posts
That right there is what I want my hunting bullets to look like after harvesting an animal. Xman, was this a reload? If so what kind of accuacy are you getting from your reloads?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
That's a stout load

I was fortunate last weekend to harvest a doe at 190 yards with a 90gr Federal Gold Dot. This was the first time I have hunted with any of the Federal Fusion/Gold Dot bullets. The West Texas terrain was fairly open and devoid of dense underbrush allowing me to be able to track the deer’s movements if it ran off. The bullet hit the shoulder on the near-side, penetrated the rib cage and chest cavity, then broke the back two ribs on the far-side before being contained by the hide. The doe ran 75 yards then folded up. The recovered bullet is pictured below and was shot with a 16" ARP with a mv of 2875 fps. The bullet mushroomed very symmetrically and weighted 86.9 grains, retaining 97% of its weight. </SPAN>

</SPAN>
That's a very good velocity you're getting from that 90 grain bullet. My velocity measurements with that bullet using 30.5 grains of AA2200 out of an ARP 18 inch barrel is only getting 2750 feet per second. Your velocity is about 125 FPS faster. What would account for this significant difference?

Daniel

·
Registered
591 Posts
That's a very good velocity you're getting from that 90 grain bullet. My velocity measurements with that bullet using 30.5 grains of AA2200 out of an ARP 18 inch barrel is only getting 2750 feet per second. Your velocity is about 125 FPS faster. What would account for this significant difference?

Daniel
I've never tried AA2200 with the 90 gr. Sierra or 90 gr. TNT but the H4198 has been the best out of my Bison barrel. For me, H4198 has produced the best velocity and accuracy with those two bullets. 2960fps and <1" @100 yards.
I plan on trying H4198 first when my Gold Dots get here. Give H4198 a try. It might work for you too.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
make sure your chrono is accurate. A 90gr bullet should be close to 2900fps, between 2850fps and 2925fps from even a 16" barrel.

Try loading some with Re7. 28.5gr - 29.5gr.

my load is 28.8gr and from an ARP Recon 16" it's 2885fps with CCI # 400s, 2900 #450s, and 2925fps with # CCI #41s.

All of the velocities were after shooting known loads through the chrony that have been fired through two chronies at the same time, back when I had two of them.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Still slow

make sure your chrono is accurate. A 90gr bullet should be close to 2900fps, between 2850fps and 2925fps from even a 16" barrel.

Try loading some with Re7. 28.5gr - 29.5gr.

my load is 28.8gr and from an ARP Recon 16" it's 2885fps with CCI # 400s, 2900 #450s, and 2925fps with # CCI #41s.

All of the velocities were after shooting known loads through the chrony that have been fired through two chronies at the same time, back when I had two of them.
Out of the ARP 18 inch SAM-R PacNor match barrel using 29.5 grains of RL-7 I'm getting about 2860 FPS with the Speer 90 grain TNT bullets.

Out of the ARP 20 inch 11.25R barrel I'm getting 2907 average FPS with the same TNT load. Do I need to put some extra greese in the barrel to get them to slide down the bore faster?

Daniel

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Out of the ARP 18 inch SAM-R PacNor match barrel using 29.5 grains of RL-7 I'm getting about 2860 FPS with the Speer 90 grain TNT bullets.

Out of the ARP 20 inch 11.25R barrel I'm getting 2907 average FPS with the same TNT load. Do I need to put some extra greese in the barrel to get them to slide down the bore faster?

Daniel
You may want to try using a different crono esp the SAM-R it should be running faster than that.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I don't know. Those loads were with virgin brass. Also, it's considerably warmer here , and I tested most of those in the heat of summer, like, 90f and hotter, plus each barrel is different.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'll give it a try

You may want to try using a different crono esp the SAM-R it should be running faster than that.
I'll set up my optical chronograph when the weather gets better (think 6 months from now). I usde a magnetospeed chronograph for these loads.

Daniel

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I'll set up my optical chronograph when the weather gets better (think 6 months from now). I usde a magnetospeed chronograph for these loads.

Daniel
You could just pick up a box of factory ammo and se if the speed matches the speed on the box or of it is off and by how much

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
That right there is what I want my hunting bullets to look like after harvesting an animal. Xman, was this a reload? If so what kind of accuacy are you getting from your reloads?
This was a factory load. In my 16" ARP I am getting 1.5 moa. In my 18"ARP, close to 1/2moa.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Started a new thread so removed this here.

Todd

1 - 20 of 273 Posts