6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got an 18” ARP 3R barrel, and I don’t think I’ve ever tried the 90 GD in it. It’s very accurate with 110 HPBT, but I haven’t tried the lighter pills for anything but the chronograph in this barrel. I’ve got a couple thousand of the GD, and wonder what accuracy y’all have gotten in the 3R barrel?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I’ve got an 18” ARP 3R barrel, and I don’t think I’ve ever tried the 90 GD in it. It’s very accurate with 110 HPBT, but I haven’t tried the lighter pills for anything but the chronograph in this barrel. I’ve got a couple thousand of the GD, and wonder what accuracy y’all have gotten in the 3R barrel?
I didn't work at finding a super accurate load because I wanted to just crimp in the groove and not play with length . I use RL7 and H4198 and both shoot around 1" out of my 18" 3r . I'm sure if I played with it more I could do better but I mostly use them as plinking/ armidello rounds out of my 12.5"

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't work at finding a super accurate load because I wanted to just crimp in the groove and not play with length . I use RL7 and H4198 and both shoot around 1" out of my 18" 3r . I'm sure if I played with it more I could do better but I mostly use them as plinking/ armidello rounds out of my 12.5"

They’re extremely accurate in my old chamber 1/11 Bison 16”, but I’ve been sitting on these bullets for awhile. Guess it’s time to load some for accuracy.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
30-31 grains of AA2200

Reactions: 303 HUNTER

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yep, found my best load using 31.1gr A2200, mixed brass( believe it or not) Hornady/Fed/S&B, CCI41 primer @2.295". Out of my 14.7" 3r I'm seeing 2910fps avg and about 1.5" for a 10shot group. Plenty fine for me, and the velocity out of a shorter tube is excellent IMHO. And, in case you've been wondering, new or pulled, makes no difference in my barrel at least. I have both and actually mixed them, new and pulled.
I actually standing at my bench staring at a big bag of them, some new, primed S&B brass and just took delivery of 5lbs of A2200 from MSSS today, so guess what I'm getting ready to do?

Best of luck to ya.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Yep, found my best load using 31.1gr A2200, mixed brass( believe it or not) Hornady/Fed/S&B, CCI41 primer @2.295". Out of my 14.7" 3r I'm seeing 2910fps avg and about 1.5" for a 10shot group. Plenty fine for me, and the velocity out of a shorter tube is excellent IMHO. And, in case you've been wondering, new or pulled, makes no difference in my barrel at least. I have both and actually mixed them, new and pulled.
I actually standing at my bench staring at a big bag of them, some new, primed S&B brass and just took delivery of 5lbs of A2200 from MSSS today, so guess what I'm getting ready to do?

Best of luck to ya.
If you weight your Hornady cases or check the stamp you may find some are the same as S&B and some not . That is because some Hornady cases are made by S&B . If you were to only use the S&B cases your group size would shrink not to mention be less likely to go over pressure in hot weather .

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you weight your Hornady cases or check the stamp you may find some are the same as S&B and some not . That is because some Hornady cases are made by S&B . If you were to only use the S&B cases your group size would shrink not to mention be less likely to go over pressure in hot weather .

I’ve got a bunch of the S&B manufactured Hornady brass and Federal primed brass I bought awhile back.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I’ve got a bunch of the S&B manufactured Hornady brass and Federal primed brass I bought awhile back.
Federal brass is not the same as S&B brass nor Hornady brass made by Hornady . If you take federal brass and any Hornady brass out of the equation your groups will improve is what I meant .

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Federal brass is not the same as S&B brass nor Hornady brass made by Hornady . If you take federal brass and any Hornady brass out of the equation your groups will improve is what I meant .

I said that I’ve got Hornady brass manufactured by S&B. I know federal brass is not the same, just have some to try if I want.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I said that I’ve got Hornady brass manufactured by S&B. I know federal brass is not the same, just have some to try if I want.
Sorry , you quoted me on the op s post and I thought I was still discussing it with him .

·
Registered
184 Posts
CFE BLK for 90gr pills and all temperatures.

I'm a Hodgdon TempStbl man, don't want no FOP.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good velocity but very temp sensitive.
I haven't fired my specific load with the Labradar or passed 250yds...

Looks like I have a mission in August, sir.

EDIT: I spoke with fellow CFE BLK users and they say no problems.
You sure you're not thinking of CFE 223?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I recall working on an h322 load a few years ago with these 90g pulls. I didn’t want to waste my good powder on plinkers. I recall it being over 30gr of h322 for sure.

work up to that safely. I’ll be revisiting this load with my new dies.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This was using my 20” stag upper 29.9 gr cfe black started @ the bottom and worked my way up.
Warning this data was safe in my rifle doesn’t mean it is safe in yours shoot often and stay safe.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Yeah, I too know Hornady and Federal are not the same as the S&B brass. Back when CBB actually had S&B primed brass in stock I bought a bunch of it and still have some, if not all of it to load and I fully intend to load these in the S&B. The Hornady, of which I have the newer stuff and the older, made by S&B hornady and the Federal and now some LP Remington is just for my range and plinking ammo. Also just bought some ASC mags and loaded some of my 2.295" rounds in one and believe I could easily fir a 2.3"+ round in the one I sampled, which is great news for me.
Now though that I've finally found a load that my barrel seems to digest quite well I'll play with the length and primers a bit and see if it will improve any but honestly I'm not after cloverleafs with this load ( sure would be nice though) and the 31.1gr [email protected]" is perfectly sufficient for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts