6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first of the bullet info gathering threads, lets try to keep the chit chat to a minium and not argu with others opinions. Please just post the facts or your experience with the bullets. How they performed on game, the accuracy of the bullet and loading data that produced good accuracy. If you don't have any experience please let those that do have experience provide the info for others to learn from.
length .880"
BC- .246

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tested on a large hog at HTRs. Shot it in the left shoulder, passed through the hog from end to end exited right rear ham.
These bullets always have full expansion and 9 times out of 10 pass throughs on big hogs.
My load 30.5gr RE7 produces over 3100fps from a 16" barrel, loaded to 2.3" no crimp CCI 450 primers.
As always start low and work up.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Another all-time favorite for 6.8. Flatter trajectory to 300 versus almost any other 6.8 bullet, except maybe the 80 GS HV.

My favorite ( commercially available powder) load is 30 grains Re 7, SSA, WSRM and 2.30". Gives me about 3050 from a 16" barrel, and 2900 from a 12" barrel. Shoots little, tiny groups in my 1:10 twist Rem Bolt gun. This load is hot, so you can still use 29.5 grains in most other guns, and here's a group from that charge:

Expansion.....outstanding and reliable:

This bullet kills hogs DRT out to at least 250 yards. That's my most distant kill with them. Here's the pig, a big boar, killed DRT, at 240:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
HTR impressive pics of the bullets. The left bullet looks like it was shot from a different barrel because of the black ring on the top groove of the bullet. The 2nd from left and the last bullet look like they were shot from the same gun. Just curious if they were all shot from the same barrel.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Fast, flat, and reliable..... I've taken almost all my 6.8 hogs with this bullet loaded by SSA. I have problems posting pics on this forum for some reason. Here is a link to a post that shows the biggest boar I've taken the 6.8. http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?22519-Texas-Boar
The bullet hit him quartering away about the last rib. It traveled to the offside shoulder, breaking it and the spine. He was obviously DRT. I would venture to say I got over 24" of penetration. The bullet didn't exit, but I have had smaller boars stop 154 vrain Hornady interlocks from my 7mm Rem Mag, and this is he only time my 6.8 has not made two holes.

I also collected the first round my son fired, first centerfire shot ever. He shot at a target on a dirt bank at about 10 yards. The bullet was mushroomed perfectly and weighed 86 grains. I probably had some dirt under petals I could not wash out. This is my go to bullet for all my needs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
DRT round

Me and my two daughters use the 85gr tsx in SSA ammo.In three years of using this we have only had a couple blood trails to follow
and both of those were heavy and short (under 25 yrds).Everything else was DRT with minimal meat loss.all shots with RRA 6.8 1-10
twist out of 16 inch barrel.Hogs ,whitetail,cayote,and bobcat HATE these,but we LOVE them.Sub 1 inch groups at 200.If your rifle likes these you can't go wrong with them.I honestly can't see a reason to use ANYTHING else.
We started with the 110gr Siera before these and we were disappointed,but with the 85gr barnes we are happy-happy-happy.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I took a doe at 135 yds with the 85 gr. TSX over 29.5 gr. of R7 in SSA case and Wolf primer MASSIVE destruction of heart and lungs!! She dropped in her tracks, DRT!! I've taken several deer with TSX bullets in .308 but this is the first that has dropped DRT. I'm impressed!!

Reactions: ypsi728

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have not loaded this bullet yet but I have shot multiple hogs with SSA factory Barnes 85gr. It is my go-to factory hunting round. I have shot 20+ hogs with this round. All of the recovered bullets had full expansion with 4 perfect copper pedals just like the pictures above.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My newest 8lb jug of RE7 (30.5gr)is not producing the velocity that my old powder did. It is probably wet but has anyone really pushed 2200 with the 85TSX? I'm planning to start at 31gr and work up to find a good reliable 3100fps.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
any recipes for RE10?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
What kind of accuracy are you getting from running those that hot? Acceptable for hunting I assume?

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
come on guys, I have the RE10x in the powder measure, 1000 bullets and primed brass brass in the hopper. all I need is a good hot load and the OAL

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I wish I had some of that powder SSA used in there factory 85gr Barnes load. I was getting a solid 3250 in a 18 inch barrel. Have some LT-32 on the way. Going to start with light bullets and work up.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I' ve run up to 34gr of 2200 with the TSX loaded to 2.295" this morning. 34gr started showing light swipes but no cratering on the primer. 33gr should be a decent load.

Mike, 29.5gr of 10x is a good accurate load and plenty fast enough to hunt with . I have shot as much as 32.5gr 10x but I had to use a drop tube to get it in the case.
If you go more than 29.5 I would load 10 at a time and test the accuracy before loading a hundred of them.

33gr of 1200 is ok too out of our barrels.

Cold and spitting snow here so I'm just shooting into the snail while I'm running muzzle devices today. I'll try to get out and check the velocity and accuracy with 33gr of both 2200 and 1200.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wish I had some of that powder SSA used in there factory 85gr Barnes load. I was getting a solid 3250 in a 18 inch barrel. Have some LT-32 on the way. Going to start with light bullets and work up.
Looks like 1680, From the test we ran years ago you'll hit max pressure before max case capacity so I think 2200 and 1200 will produce faster velocity. I want to try some LT32 also.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have some 85g TSX, 95g TTSX, and some 90g TNT coming in. I have CCI 400 and 450's along with 10x and RL7. Ill be testing several combos and a 200 yard accuracy test. Im only waiting on some parts from Dillon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I start getting a full case of powder I use a tooth brush, a battery powered ORAL-B!!! I hold it against the neck and it will drop the charge over 1/4" on 223, or 6.8!!! I try not to load too hot but sometimes the charge listed won't fit without some help! I have used a drop tube but for the speed the tooth brush works very well!!! George

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The tooth brush idea is genius! It took me a minute to compute but wow!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts