6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H didn't include this one when he started the bullet threads but I have a few boxes of these I am going to try out. Anyone have any good loads, accuracy reports or performance reports on varmints?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Lots of info on this bullet here. Load data mimics 85gr TSX. Good coyote round. Same bullet as 85 RRLP under a different name so search that way as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
The 85 gr. Barnes MPG makes an excellent and accurate plinking and home defense load. Two light loads I've shot with my 18.5" 1:10 SAAMI 6.8 Mini-14 are both 1-1.5 MOA accurate. Both were loaded in fired SSA brass, over Wolf SRM primers and loaded to 2.260":

28 gr. RL7 produced 2,670 fps.
30 gr. AA2200 produced 2,810 fps.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
So far I have tried SSA brass with Rem 7 1/2 primers with RL10X and AA2200 and I have also tried REM brass with Rem 9 1/2 primers with 10X and 2200. My goal with these bullets was to find an economical target/varmint load and think I have found it. I was using an ARP 16" Scout, Spec II, 1-11.25" twist barrel from a sandbag rest at 100 yards.

This is not the fastest load tested, but has produced the most repeated accuracy so far for me.

REM brass
Rem 9 1/2 primer
RL10X @ 30.0 grains
COL 2.290

HI-2760, LO-2710, AV- 2735, ES-50, SD-20

3) shots @ .195", 4)@ .497", 5)@ .854"

I have CCI41 primers for the SSA brass and WLR primers for the REM brass and RL7 and H4198 to tinker with soon.

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
I will link this thread from the sticky for future reference.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
You gotta read the bottom sentence, Medic. I'm going to test other powders, etc., because I got a lot of 85 MPG's to work with thanks to the Barnes sale last December. I was just trying to post a load that worked well for me.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
RL-7 is the Powder.

I've used the tried and true AA2200 powder and get sub-inch groups with this bullet. I decided to try RL-7 today and found it gave a bit tighter groups at about .7 - .8 inch groups at 100 yards using 29.5 grains of RL-7 with C.O.A.L. of 2.295 ignited by a Remington 7 1/2 primer in SSA brass. I'll chronograph this load in a couple of weeks. Stand by for more!

Daniel

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
RL7, H4198, A2200 and 10X all will produce 1 moa 5 shot groups and half that with 3 shot groups for me with the 85 MPG.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I've used the tried and true AA2200 powder and get sub-inch groups with this bullet. I decided to try RL-7 today and found it gave a bit tighter groups at about .7 - .8 inch groups at 100 yards using 29.5 grains of RL-7 with C.O.A.L. of 2.295 ignited by a Remington 7 1/2 primer in SSA brass. I'll chronograph this load in a couple of weeks. Stand by for more!

Daniel
Still waiting!

·
9,182 Posts
Waiting for what?

Mine was 29.5 pushing the 2900 mark and kept around 1.5 moa at 100 yards with only a 2 moa M2 Aimpoint on the rifle. That is the best that I have. great plunking bullet.

Sent from my island villa by carrier pigeon.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Daniel said he would be back in a few weeks with chrono results. (It was posted in April.). Just a little humor.

Here is my 100 yard target from my as yet unrevealed build.
18" ARP
85gr MPG & 110gr Factory Hornady's mixed in
29.7gr RE7
2.295 COAL
SSA new brass
Cheap Tasco 3x12 Scope (too low mounts) & 6.5# PSA OEM trigger.
Sorry, no chrono this time.

View attachment 6937

Have JP Trigger at UPS, will get tomorrow.
Mounts, I'll get Wed or Thursday when Cabelas opens in Charleston.
Scope will be replaced when funds become available.
Also, Shot/tested a clip of Tula .45 ACP. They did well on 20 yard steel. No misfires.

·
9,182 Posts
What are you shooting that has a clip in .45acp?????

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
What are you shooting that has a clip in .45acp?????

I have a friend that has a rifle & pistol range out by his house.
This is my .45 & a glass of my latest batch of homebrew (English Mild with homegrown hops.)

View attachment 6939

·
9,182 Posts
Very nice. But that would be a "mag" fed weapon not a clip fed. LOL!!!!!!

Last clip fed was a Garand. Just needed to give you crap!!!!!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Very nice. But that would be a "mag" fed weapon not a clip fed. LOL!!!!!!

Last clip fed was a Garand. Just needed to give you crap!!!!!

Oh, man!! You caught me on that one! Ha-ha! :)
Garand! Cool! I've never fired one of them.

I just keep using the word 'clip'! I know the difference. Dang nabit! :banghead:
One of these days I' going to break myself of it! I git the rifle down. Now I've got to break myself on the pistol.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Still waiting!
I'm heading out to the range now. Should have a chronograph report of the 85 grain Barns MPG bullet pushed with 29.5 grains of RL-7 in about four hours. Report to come.

Daniel

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I'm heading out to the range now. Should have a chronograph report of the 85 grain Barns MPG bullet pushed with 29.5 grains of RL-7 in about four hours. Report to come.

Daniel
Great! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Range Report Using RL-7 Powder

Shooting the Barnes 85 grain MPG using 29.5 grains of RL-7 powder in an AR Performance 18 inch PacNor 3 groove, 1 in 12 twist barrel, SSA brass with Remington 7 1/2 primers the average velocity was 2860. The standard deviation was 22, the high was 2898 fps and low was 2829 fps.

The velocity was measured with a Magnetospeed chronograph.

Daniel

1 - 20 of 24 Posts