6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silver State Armory has signed an exclusive with Barnes Bullets for the OEM loading of the 85 grain TSX round. Barnes will however offer this projectile as a component for those who roll their own and for their .270 caliber customers.

The 85 grain Barnes has been a big success with our customers to the point we are currently out of stock until late Jan 2009. SSA has committed to large purchases of this projectile for several years in an effort to make our ammunition more affordable to our customers.

The 85 grain Barnes out shines any and all 5.56 loads with:

Barrier Blind preformence.
Over 3,000 FPS from a 16" barrel
Over 2,900 FPS from a 12.5" barrel
Less drop then any 6.8 round out to 300 yards
40% more muzzel energy then the MK262 projectile
Excellent terminal preformence in gel test.

We have some new and exciting things planned for the second quarter of 2009 to services you, our customers.

Art - SSA

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Very cool

·
Registered
15 Posts
Awesome, As someone who handloads with your brass I would ask that you sell the bullets as well as the loaded rounds

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good news indeed!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anyone put these on paper? How do they shoot? I know each rifle will handle them differently, but am looking for characteristics of this round.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
rcd567 said:
Has anyone put these on paper? How do they shoot? I know each rifle will handle them differently, but am looking for characteristics of this round.
I have, and I was duly impressed:

Barnes TSX, 85 grain factory SSA, fired in 20" AR Performance 12 twist, 3 groove stainless with DMR chamber:

avg. velocity: 3203 FPS

·
Registered
48 Posts
HTR said:
rcd567 said:

Barnes TSX, 85 grain factory SSA, fired in 20" AR Performance 12 twist, 3 groove stainless with DMR chamber:

That's what I'm talkin about! Nice shooting!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
HTR said:
rcd567 said:

How hot are your loadings? I have the same barrel, but in an 18" configuraton.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
joshuades said:
HTR said:
rcd567 said:

How hot are your loadings? I have the same barrel, but in an 18" configuraton.

HTR was using our factory loaded rounds, out of an 18" you should be around 3,125 FPS. I beleive Constucter was using 1680 powder but we could not get the speed out of a 1-10 twist with it so we had a custom blended powder made. I would like to see what Constructer can do with it?

Art = SSA

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Art are your test barrels still 1-10 sammi's or sammi II?

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Art, everyone else:

I was shooting Constructor's awesome 12 twist, 3 groove stainless barrel, but it is 20, not 18 inches long.

So far, we have both loaded the Barnes 85 TSX with 30.5 grains of RE7 and he got 3196 and then I loaded some a week after he left the ranch and got exactly the same velocity again with the same gun and same chrono. I think the temperature was in the 60's both times.

The only difference was that mine was 2.30", and his was 2.305". This group above was shot with the first run of SSA combat 85's and it was, as noted, 3203 FPS.

We are all waiting for Tim W to post some loads with 1680 to see if that beats the RE7. 1680 was what pushed the 80 grain GS custom bullet to 3400 FPS in our test last August.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts