6.8 SPC Forums banner

80% glock

8K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  awp101 
#1 ·
Received my frame today. Really like it. As soon as I find some decent instructions will attempt to finish it. Leaning towards mating a G17

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like an interesting project. Keep us posted. Eager to see pictures of your progress.

#8 · (Edited)
#12 ·
Harbor freight will get you going in a press and vise for around 250ish. Clip that 20% off cupon from the newspaper.....maybe a bit less. It might not last till your kids have kids but it works for now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I just finished milling a AR frame. Be careful!!!! The red plastic jig is too flexible. The end mill can easily push the sides of the jig outward, resulting in sidewalls that are too thin. Brace the sides of the jig by placing flats of ply or one inch lumber alongside the jig when mounting in the vice. And leave a little clearance between the end mill and the side of the jig.

#19 ·
Thanks Walt but this is a glock frame so not milling anything like a trigger pocket. Just taking out some material from the top of the frame where the slide goes on and drilling a few holes mainly and milling out two back rail slots

#24 ·
Well it is slowly coming together. Several of you guys offered helped with parts. Thanks a ton for your assistance. The hardest part to source is the slide lock spring. Glock slowed down production and everyone is sold out.
The metal slide locking block was a bear to install. The holes are not aligned exactly with the frame. Has to wrestle with the screws and finally muscled them in.

#26 ·
Watching as well...

Does it have the same basic grip depth (front strap to back strap) as a Glock frame? I ask because that hump at the bottom of a stock Glock frame is the bane of my stubby fingers. I have to modify them if I want to comfortably use one.

#29 ·
Time for a more formal update.

I ran into issues assembling the frame.
The metal slide rail block, the frame trigger holes are significantly out of alignment. So much so I can't get the trigger pin inserted. I drilled out the holes properly using their instructions. I know of at least one other person who had the same issue
I spoke to polymere80 tech support and sent them pictures. They have been responsive. I am waiting to hear back from them. Attaching a few pics for reference

#31 ·
Is the slide rail block supplied with the 80% or is it sourced elsewhere?

Just observing from the sidelines, I'm wondering if it's a jig or block issue?
The specter kit comes with everything including block, tiny hex screws and tooling kit. So it was all from polymer80. It could have been the jig I suppose. Once I hear from tech support I was going to strip the frame and place it back into the jig to see if the holes line up.

#32 ·
Yeah it certainly sounds like they've got an issue since it all came from them. Hopefully the block is wrong and not the jig. One of these looks real tempting as a dedicated lower for a Mech-Tech...

#33 ·
I had trigger/hammer pin/hole alignment issues with the JMT ar-15 80% lowers when they first came out---- they sent me a new lower and jig to machine all over again after they corrected the jigs ----I seemed to be one of the test dummies for their first jig, you may have unknowingly done the same

I understand the whole 80% thing, but when it comes down to it, a fully complete real Glock lower only costs $200 (and actually comes with a warranty) --- I have gone away from ar15 poly lowers (80%) as I had too many issues with them and gone to aluminum---I hope you don't run into structural issues down the line once you get it up and running like I did with my poly ar lowers--- you'll have wasted $ and lots of time--- but gained a learning curve

#34 ·
I understand the whole 80% thing, but when it comes down to it, a fully complete real Glock lower only costs $200 (and actually comes with a warranty) --- I have gone away from ar15 poly lowers (80%) as I had too many issues with them and gone to aluminum---I hope you don't run into structural issues down the line once you get it up and running like I did with my poly ar lowers--- you'll have wasted $ and lots of time--- but gained a learning curve
Sounds like we need an aluminum 80% Glock frame...:eek:

#35 ·
Well finally finished assembly. Test fired it last week. Fired ok. Had a few fees issues which I need to troubleshoot. Glad I did it. Was a good experience for the most part. Got some extenders for my mags which really help with that flared magwell

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.