6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is directed toward Art or anyone with knowledge of, or real world experience with, the SSA 7.62x51 loadings.

I'm looking to purchase a superior 7.62x51 (.308) round for my FAL and PTR91. For reference sake, I have several hundred Hornady 5.56 75 Gr TAP, several hundred SSA 6.8 SPC 115 Gr OTM, and now I'm looking for 7.62x51 SHTF rounds in about 168 grain. Price is always a consideration, but not much of one in this case. I can afford a thousand rounds or so (barely!), because these aren't for plinking. What is it that makes the SSA ammo the best choice when compared to TAP or Black Hills, or other premium brands? Is it bullet choice, velocity, ballistics, or something else? I'd love to support Art and SSA because I love the 6.8 best of all and he has been instrumental in that round's success, but I'd like to know why I should buy the SSA 7.62x51? as opposed to some others

Just give me half of a good reason, 'cause I'm itching to do it!

Kerry (the other Kerry)

PS Speaking of plinking, we're all turning blue waiting for that 6.8 plinking round! No pressure! :D :D :D :D

ETA: Thanks to Tim_W for the links to Ammo To Go where I bought the 5.56 TAP. Plus they're just around the corner from me (in Texas terms, anyway).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is basically a bump, but I saw SSA's new posting on ARFCOM with ballistic data and it was great. However, I'm hoping someone will explain to a non ballistic expert like me why I should spend the extra money on SSA 7.68x51 ammo for SHTF rounds. Again, money is not the driving factor here, Quality, accuracy, and consistency are. These rounds will not be range fodder, I have plenty of that.

Don't get me wrong, I want to buy Art's ammo and will do so happily because of his support of my favorite caliber (6.8 SPC), but I'd love to know the scientific reasons that make his 7.62x51 a good choice for my 308 rifles.

Thanks,

Kerry (the other Kerry)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Kerry, I don't think that the SSA 7.62x51mm ammo is even out yet, nor is the 5.56mm ammo. From the looks, it appears that SSA is going to be offering the same ammo that the Military uses.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paulo, I didn't realize that! I thought it had been available in the past and would be available again in the near future. My goal was to support Art, but if it isn't high on his priority list, then I will look elsewhere and thank him again for his support of 6.8 SPC.

Thanks,

Kerry (the other Kerry)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I could be wrong, as I am quite a bit, but I think Art is just now getting into the 5.56 and 7.62. I never heard about it in the past.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts