6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built a 7.62x39 and finally got to test it yesterday. Took a box of Red Army fmj and a box of Monarch hp. Worked great with the R A but jammed every time with the Monarch. Anyone have trouble shooting the Monarch. 18" Mid length. Feed problem?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've heard this is an issue in general with the x39 AR and hp ammo. I've read that some file/polish feed ramps or dremel the feed lip in the mag to aid in feeding with the hp because it's shorter and tends to hit the feed lips differently than fmj, causing the feed issue. Who makes your barrel? I just finished an 18" x39 KAK build today and need to zero it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've seen issues with Monarch shooting .223.

·
Registered
844 Posts
What magazine are you using? Does it position the bullet nose high enough?

What type of jam are you getting?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What magazine are you using? Does it position the bullet nose high enough?

What type of jam are you getting?
Using ASC. What most recommended in forums. DEZ barrel. From DEZ Tactical in Wis. This is my 4th barrel from them and have been very pleased. 2 6.8s and a 308 build. No problem whatsoever. Spent casing jamming between bolt and live round going into chamber. Wierd! 1 failure to eject. May try h2 buffer to slow down a little bit?? Nose appears to be high enough or FMJ wouldn't work would it?? Next time out will try SP and see if those work. If it will shoot SP and SST like it's supposed to I will be happy. No more HP.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Using ASC. What most recommended in forums. DEZ barrel. From DEZ Tactical in Wis. This is my 4th barrel from them and have been very pleased. 2 6.8s and a 308 build. No problem whatsoever. Spent casing jamming between bolt and live round going into chamber. Wierd! 1 failure to eject. May try h2 buffer to slow down a little bit?? Nose appears to be high enough or FMJ wouldn't work would it?? Next time out will try SP and see if those work. If it will shoot SP and SST like it's supposed to I will be happy. No more HP.
This sounds like it could be a dimensional dispute between your extractor and the Monarch case rim. Try measuring the rim thickness and outside dimensions of those cases that work OK and those that don't. See if there is a significant difference.

·
Registered
734 Posts
ASC is trash compared to C Products Defense x39 mags. Ran both. CPD runs flawlessly.
I have settled on the CPD mags too. Once I started to use them I didn't have any more failure to feed issues. 2000 rounds plus so I have some history with them now.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Funny how one guys mags work and the same mag for someone else does not. My CSC piston X 39 upper runs ASC mags for the last 4 years with zero failure. It is a piston upper and that might be the difference. I have never tried a C products mag so can't say. I am shooting Golden Bear HP just lucky I think. Just have to use what works for you. I have had great luck hunting deer with that upper. I shoot suppressed so way easy to clean. I share a pic of an 8 pointer I shot last year the bullet fragmented as you can see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Range day

Just got back from range and on a hunch changed to an h2 buffer. Rifle ran fantastic. Handled everything I put through it. FMJ and Monarch HP. Tulammo, Red Army. DEZ Tactical barrel less than 1 inch groups no matter which ammo I used. Thanx for the advice guys. New mags supposed to be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Just got back from range and on a hunch changed to an h2 buffer. Rifle ran fantastic. Handled everything I put through it. FMJ and Monarch HP. Tulammo, Red Army. DEZ Tactical barrel less than 1 inch groups no matter which ammo I used. Thanx for the advice guys. New mags supposed to be here tomorrow.
That is great news! Good for you. Great groups as well sounds like you have a shooter.

·
Registered
705 Posts
View attachment 14448
Nothing Special but a tack driver.
Each rifle is special in its own way because the owner put it together with what they like and want. Yours is pretty slick and the barrel fluting is really nice! I was going to go with a DEZ barrel but they said their bore is .308 and not .310-.311. But your setup is making me hope I don't regret my decision to go with a KAK barrel. What scope is that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Each rifle is special in its own way because the owner put it together with what they like and want. Yours is pretty slick and the barrel fluting is really nice! I was going to go with a DEZ barrel but they said their bore is .308 and not .310-.311. But your setup is making me hope I don't regret my decision to go with a KAK barrel. What scope is that?
Bushnell bone collector. I've had it laying around for a couple of years. Decided to try it on this for a while. Probably replace it with a nikon before deer season. I sent an email to DEZ and asked them about the 308 or 310 barrel after I had bought this one. They sent back that this was a 310. I was hoping it was a 308 because I reload and there are more 308 bullets available. Haven't decided for sure whether to reload for this caliber or not. Getting more of a variety on the market.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts