6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at your website again and saw your description of the 6mm predator. it claims the 105 grain BC of .547 being able to hit 2900 out of a 20" barrel. This is truly spectacular. I would love to have these kinds of numbers. it would be an impressive 1000 yard barrel to say the least. Have you tested these and have load data for us when you get these barrels in. I will definately be buying one with those kinds of numbers. well probably will even if i can't get quite that good.

i have been dragging my feet not wanting to switch brass from my 6.8, but with the lapua brass and these impressive numbers i don't think i can resist.

sign me up.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
I started shooting a 6mm like this in 07. Using old stick powders I was getting 2950 then so we should be able to get even more with powders like CFE, 2520 and Lever.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started shooting a 6mm like this in 07. Using old stick powders I was getting 2950 then so we should be able to get even more with powders like CFE, 2520 and Lever.
Very nice. Can't wait to see the numbers and load data from the production barrels you have coming in the fall.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grendel bushing dies or 6mmAR dies. The chambers are the same size as a mid spec. Grendel.
So is this basically a 6mmar with enough changes to make it your own. In other words the info on the 6mmar should be applicable for this as far as usable bullets and distance to lands and such. . .

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
So is this basically a 6mmar with enough changes to make it your own. In other words the info on the 6mmar should be applicable for this as far as usable bullets and distance to lands and such. . .
Yes, pretty sure that is explained on the website. The 6MMAR was trademarked by Robert Whitley, the 243 LBC is Les Baer's. From the 4 or 5 sets of prints I have seen the only difference is the freebore length.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, pretty sure that is explained on the website. The 6MMAR was trademarked by Robert Whitley, the 243 LBC is Les Baer's. From the 4 or 5 sets of prints I have seen the only difference is the freebore length.
Thanks. Is it mostly the melonite finish and 5r rifling that makes your barrels faster.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Thanks. Is it mostly the melonite finish and 5r rifling that makes your barrels faster.
We don't really know that yet. No one has made any of these cats in enough quantity to compare or even talk about much. Whitleys stuff was mostly highpower barrels 28" long and made custom one at a time. LB didn't make many and I haven't heard much about BHW barrels.

I've changed my 5R 6.8 button design a few times to tweak the performance. Ammo manufactures can't load to SPCII specs but that doesn't mean I can't change things in the barrel to get the velocity that SPCII ammo would produce if they could.

The first 20 barrels are so will be a 6 groove lapped, match grade barrel, 4150 and melonite treated. I've already made 50 using those blanks and know they shoot well. I have a photo here that I sent JamesB after 4 shots, it's about 1/4MOA(29gr N530 with a 95SMK). I left a round in the chamber heating up while I walked up to the target to take the photo. Last hot shot blew the group out to an inch.
Maybe 6 months from now I will do another batch with 3R rifling. Hopefully I have the freebore set up to use short 55gr bullets for varmint guys, the 80-90gr bullets for deer hunters and 95-105 for the long range guys.
I wish I had more control over the size. I could design a chamber just a little over Lapuas brass size so it would fit perfect in the chamber. Then if the correct dies were used the brass could be sized back down to the factory Lapua size. Same exact fit every time new or used brass. The brass would never stretch too much and never get resized too much. Better accuracy and better brass life. Unfortunately I can't control what dies people use and no doubt someone or a bunch of people would use a big Redding or Forster dies and have cases stick and then spread their frustration online. I tried that with the 6.8 in 08 designing the DMR chamber around SSA brass ...that didn't work out too well because guys right here on this forum saying "eh you don't need small based dies in an AR", "eh any dies will work. The DMR chamber died right there.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We don't really know that yet. No one has made any of these cats in enough quantity to compare or even talk about much. Whitleys stuff was mostly highpower barrels 28" long and made custom one at a time. LB didn't make many and I haven't heard much about BHW barrels.

I've changed my 5R 6.8 button design a few times to tweak the performance. Ammo manufactures can't load to SPCII specs but that doesn't mean I can't change things in the barrel to get the velocity that SPCII ammo would produce if they could.

The first 20 barrels are so will be a 6 groove lapped, match grade barrel, 4150 and melonite treated. I've already made 50 using those blanks and know they shoot well. I have a photo here that I sent JamesB after 4 shots, it's about 1/4MOA(29gr N530 with a 95SMK). I left a round in the chamber heating up while I walked up to the target to take the photo. Last hot shot blew the group out to an inch.
Maybe 6 months from now I will do another batch with 3R rifling. Hopefully I have the freebore set up to use short 55gr bullets for varmint guys, the 80-90gr bullets for deer hunters and 95-105 for the long range guys.
I wish I had more control over the size. I could design a chamber just a little over Lapuas brass size so it would fit perfect in the chamber. Then if the correct dies were used the brass could be sized back down to the factory Lapua size. Same exact fit every time new or used brass. The brass would never stretch too much and never get resized too much. Better accuracy and better brass life. Unfortunately I can't control what dies people use and no doubt someone or a bunch of people would use a big Redding or Forster dies and have cases stick and then spread their frustration online. I tried that with the 6.8 in 08 designing the DMR chamber around SSA brass ...that didn't work out too well because guys right here on this forum saying "eh you don't need small based dies in an AR", "eh any dies will work. The DMR chamber died right there.
Thanks. That all makes a lot of sense. I understand the need for this to be simplified at the expense of perfection. It sounds like it will strike a pretty good balance that will work quite well. Can't wait for you to get them up so I can buy one.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was thinking about starting to gather supplies for the 6mm Predator. I am assuming this is the same barrel that you produced some time ago, if so do you have load data for it or will you be doing new testing for this new production of barrels. I am just curious about which bullets, powders will work good in your barrel. will you have dies available for it or do you recommend us just purchasing grendel bushing dies?

1 - 20 of 140 Posts