6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Me personally, I think the civilian push is driven by the eternal quest to get a 6mmBR/PPC to work with conventional AR components.
Will it live up to the hype?

If they've pulled it off it's likely the death of all the other 6.something AR cartridges.

There will always be a few who want to have something slightly different or who are already heavily invested in whichever 6.x cartridge they've chosen. They likely won't bite off on the 6 ARC. But those who don't reload or who don't want to mess with forming cases will likely be quite interested in this.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

It is really simple. SF want a lighter package long range weapon system. As I have said many times it is all about owning the cartridge. Hornady does not own the 6.5 Grendel (264. LBC) or the 6.8 SPC or the 6mm AR or the 243 LBC or the 6mm Predator, profits come from owning the cartridge marketing it and then dominating that market. You take a 243 LBC / 6 mm AR push the shoulder a couple of thousands come up some small changes to bolts or feeding magazine issues which are their perceived weaknesses. Add in some slick marketing and hope enough people buy what your selling.

The difference between all of the is so minimal you can slide apiece of paper between all of them. For hunting I’ll take a 6.8 SPC or a Grendel all day. As I posted before a 24”Grendel firing a heavy 130 gr high BC bullet say an RDF smokes a 6 mm ACR in every category except drop.

From a 24” barrel firing a match at 108 ELD match at 2,750 FPS , with a 10 mph cross wind at sea level, 200 yds zero here is what your corrections are at 1,000 yds, 8.0 Mil drop, horizontal correction 2.16 Mils, velocity 1,337 FPS, energy 429 ft
pounds.

A 6.5 Grendel 24” barrel 130 gr RDF 2,628 at muzzle 9.1 mild drop, 1.91 drift, 1,393 FPS and 560 ft lbs. So while it drops 1.1 Mils more, drift is .25 mild less and it has 131 more ft pounds of energy and is moving faster.

If you move to a 115 Berger in the 6mm at a velocity of 2,710 you get 8.7 mild drop, 2.00 mil drift and 1,393 fps with 495 ft lbs. This narrows the gap but again other than elevation drop the Grendel wins.

As you can see, I am a Grendel fan (actually a 264 LBC) as I have BHW barrels. But it seems you can split difference between them and come up with reasons but to me if you have a Grendel than other than trying to recreate 6mm PPC accuracy it just does not make sense to go through all the hoops with another cartridge other than you can say you have a 6mm ARC.

This was the reason I never went to the 243 Predator ( sorry constructor) just not enough of a benefit to justify it.

If all you have is a 5.56 or a 300 BO, or even a 6.8 SPC and you really want to reach out and touch someone a long way off. Then there is a strong reason to change. if you have a 24” barreled Grendel not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "DOD entity" is still unnamed. Even if you equiped every SF(18 series) billet you're still looking at well less than 10k rifles. Almost any other unit "entity" will be a much smaller quantity. Just like the Barrett 50cal and Glock pistols these will be another tool. May even get into the wild and then die off like the SCAR.

So, this is an old post and I might not get a response from those involved. Since it has been some time with the 6mm ARC being available, what are everyone's thoughts now on this cartridge vs the 6.8 SPC? Currently I have a 6.8 SPC AR and would like to pick up or build a bolt rifle for deer hunting. Can the 6.8 ARC be used in an AR15 platform or is it AR10? Is it worth transitioning to the 6mm ARC cartridge?

I consider the 6.8 SPC a better medium game cartridge. It seems to be in a sweet spot of bullet size, weight, and speed for deer and hogs. With enough practice and the right ammo, it works to 400 yards, but it is mostly used at 300 and under. The 6mm ARC is also used for medium game, but shot placement and bullet choice becomes more critical. It also depends on the size of the animals you intend to shoot. I would be less comfortable with a raking shot on a large deer, for example. The wound channel seems small when compared to that of the 6.8 SPC.
On the other hand, the 6mm ARC is very good as a 500+ yard target cartridge that fits in an AR15. Its relatively low recoil makes it easier to self-spot when compared to many other cartridges. I consider the 6mm ARC as a target cartridge first and a hunting cartridge, second. If you plan to do a lot of long-range target shooting, the 6mm Creedmoor and some other cartridges shoot flatter and with less drift but it is much more difficult to see where your own bullets hit and they also require a 308-sized AR.

Sounds good. Thank you for the feedback. Actually, considering just using my 6.8 SPC for deer and for longer range or bigger game (elk), going with the 7mm PRC.

Sounds good. Thank you for the feedback. Actually, considering just using my 6.8 SPC for deer and for longer range or bigger game (elk), going with the 7mm PRC.
That seems reasonable. I am recoil sensitive due to spine and back-muscle damage, so I tend to lean toward balanced-lower recoil cartridges like the 6.8 SPC (and 30-30, its grandparent). For bigger game and longer distances, the 7mm PRC seems a good choice.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.