6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Nice! With quality loads the 6.8 is so inherently accurate that it goes mano a mano with popular BR calibers.
you are going to have a lot of fun with it!

One question...

you think the inlet will let you use the standard savage 10 recoil lug?
Obviously given one refaces and does the truing after milling a bit off the receiver.
I was just wondering if they slot is deep enough in those chasis.

Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! With quality loads the 6.8 is so inherently accurate that it goes mano a mano with popular BR calibers.
you are going to have a lot of fun with it!

One question...

you think the inlet will let you use the standard savage 10 recoil lug?
Obviously given one refaces and does the truing after milling a bit off the receiver.
I was just wondering if they slot is deep enough in those chasis.

Thanks.
I just went ahead and dropped the recoil lug into the slot from the stock of the donor rifle. With some PSA Federal el cheapo ammo for head spacing and sight-in, the final target from the first visit to the range, gave up a nickle sized three shot hole.
There are gonna be some "ear shot" piggies this year.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I just went ahead and dropped the recoil lug into the slot from the stock of the donor rifle. With some PSA Federal el cheapo ammo for head spacing and sight-in, the final target from the first visit to the range, gave up a nickle sized three shot hole.
There are gonna be some "ear shot" piggies this year.
So I take it the slot will have to be opened and deepened should anyone decide to cut and re-face the action to use the regular savage 10/11 lug, right?
One thing is clear, the axis seems like a versatile, popular and accurate choice for any budget conscious projects. So thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So I take it the slot will have to be opened and deepened should anyone decide to cut and re-face the action to use the regular savage 10/11 lug, right?
One thing is clear, the axis seems like a versatile, popular and accurate choice for any budget conscious projects. So thanks for sharing your experience.
If the chassis was purchased for the 10/11 actions, it should be cut to accept the recoil lug for that action. To use a chassis for the Axis and try to set a 10/11 action into it would not work.
The boys at MDT can answer you questions better than I can. They sre great folks to work with.
The Axis is the number one donor at this time, due to Savage giving away the HB models in 22/250 and 243. $189 after the $50 rebate makes them very desirable for builds.
I did build another six8 on a Boyds which is also very accurate. I built the MDT so I could have an adjustable stock.

Gun Firearm Rifle Air gun Trigger My wife loves shooting this little rifle. NO RECOIL

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
If the chassis was purchased for the 10/11 actions, it should be cut to accept the recoil lug for that action. To use a chassis for the Axis and try to set a 10/11 action into it would not work.
The boys at MDT can answer you questions better than I can. They sre great folks to work with.
The Axis is the number one donor at this time, due to Savage giving away the HB models in 250/3000 and 243. $189 after the $50 rebate makes them very desirable for builds.
I did build another six8 on a Boyds which is also very accurate. I built the MDT so I could have an adjustable stock.

View attachment 14447 My wife loves shooting this little rifle. NO RECOIL
Thanks. With the other stocks is easy since the inlet dimensions do not change at all, only the space for the recoil lug. The idea is to make the recoil lug a bit stiffer but might not be needed
for many calibers. Plus it is a bit more tricky because one needs to turn the action and recess for the lug so on a budget agenda only folks with easy access to a lathe and/or gunsmith might do that.
Other than that the axis action seems pretty rigid and the trigger is easily improved. With the floating bolt head it is a no brainer for an very accurate budget rifle.
Wood stocks can be easily improved by doing a solid bedding job if that is even needed for the role at hand.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Savage Axis ll 243 action with a 6.8 Apache 18 inch barrel
MDT LSS chassis Mag Pul stock
Leo 3.5-10X VXlll

View attachment 14400
Flatlander43, I love your setup! :)

So much in fact that I submitted a request to MDT to see if they have a LSS chassis that will fit my Stevens 200. I'm hoping the one that fits the Savage 10/11/16 will work for the Stevens as well.

What magazine are you using for the 6.8 and did you have to tweak it much to get it to function well?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flatlander43, I love your setup! :)

So much in fact that I submitted a request to MDT to see if they have a LSS chassis that will fit my Stevens 200. I'm hoping the one that fits the Savage 10/11/16 will work for the Stevens as well.

What magazine are you using for the 6.8 and did you have to tweak it much to get it to function well?
MDT 223 plastic
with a little work from a dremel tool and a small ball-shaped cutter to remove some inner lip material, it feeds great.
tried the 308 Mag Pul mag as suggested by another forum user, but there is no comparison. The 68 rounds want to nose dive in this mag.

·
Registered
648 Posts
MDT 223 plastic with a little work from a dremel tool and a small ball-shaped cutter to remove some inner lip material, it feeds great.
tried the 308 Mag Pul mag as suggested by another forum user, but there is no comparison. The 68 rounds want to nose dive in this mag.
Great! Thanks. This LSS looks like the solution I've been waiting for to upgrade the flimsy gray factory stock. Now if MDT confirms the Savage 10 model will work with Stevens 200, I'm in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts