6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some education on this subject, anyone have any input? Looking at building one with a suppressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
What are your plans for the rifle other than suppressed. Hunting, range toy or something in between?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
It offers absolutely no advantage over the 6.8 except when shooting subs suppressed in which case it is very quiet but it is also fairly anemic and ammo prices are outrageous for it. Good for close quarters and hunting medium game up to 100 yards. Maybe a little further if you are a real good shot but wouldn't trust it to be very deadly past 150 or two. Many claim it is close to a 30-30 ballistically, I say BS. Not even close. I hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
21,654 Posts
What's the intended use Bull? Hogs? Antifa Zombie Invasion? If it's the latter, .45ACP might be something to eyeball to achieve about the same goal.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I'm old. Obviously I like .45acp. My AR in .45acp with a 10" barrel is perfect for smushing zombie heads! In the absence of zombies, I go around looking for phone booths to clean out. If you look around, you will notice that I not only cleaned out the phone booths, I leveled them!

The BO is a great suppressed AR. It might not, however, attract zombie hordes due to the silence and that kinda limits the fun. It is a great gun if you want suppressed but it is no 30-30 when it comes to knock down, imo.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Been there, done that, and I once said I'm not going back ... but I did. I had two 16" 300 BO and using "anemic" to describe 300 BO performance is accurate. The only round that I found which made the BO viable was the Barnes 110 TTSX. The TTSX provided 200 fps more than I could achieve with my handloads. I once tried to shoot steel at 275 yards and I had to take my ear muffs off to hear the faint "dink". The handing steel plate never moved. I tired hunting hogs with subs and I was only getting 50% DRT inside of 100 yards. Then I realized that a subsonic 195 grain bullet has the same performance as a .45 Pistol. You don't need a 16" barrel to shoot subs. I was happy as a clam to go back to my 6.8mm and get consistent DRT results.

But ... I saw a 10" BO barrel on sale and procured it as its fun to shoot subs. I made it my daytime carry pistol with TTSX loaded as I run around the lease working. I'm getting 3-shot cloverleaves at 50 yards with everything I load it with. Watch out for what barrel you get. If you want to shoot subs, you need a pistol gas length to reliable shoot subs - even on a 16" barrel. Also, another way to show how anemic the BO is, you won't need an adjustable gas block to add the suppressor - my 10" cycles just fine with and without the suppressor. When trying to make my 16-inchers to shoot suppressed with a carbine gas length, I opened the port full up to 0.125 and was just picking up the next round but not locking back with a lightweight BCG and an empty buffer. When I went back to shooting supersonic loads, I was worried that I would be way overgassed - not even close. The brass still landed at 5 o'clock as it did with the smaller port. Make sure you get 1:7 twist. There a lot of bad 300 BO barrels out there with the wrong twist or gas length.

Oh, the reason I became interested in the 300 BO to begin with was to test .30-cal bullets at low speeds. Even with a 16-inch barrel, I was just getting enough velocity to get them to open up. My 2nd barrel from the same manufacturer (CMMG) had a freebore 0.090" shorter than the first and now I can barely get 150 to 180 grain .30-cal fast enough to open up.

Wait - one more caution. 300 BO rounds fit and fire in a 5.56 chamber with disasters results. I took steps to configure my BO different than my 5,56s and I color tap their magazines. I also tried not to take the 300 BO and 5.56 to the range at the same time. That is a mistake that you cannot afford to make even once.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I bought one for the same reason as Xman. Shooting subs is fun. Figure I would keep shots under 100yds if even that and wanted to have something super quiet. I got specific smoke lancer mags as well so that I don't mix it up with 5.56.

Black/FDE Pmags = 5.56
black Metal mags= 6.8
Smoke grey lancers = 300BO
Glock mags = 9mm
gotta make sure I can keep them straight....

Xman do you think a 300BO SBR Suppressed would be good for bumps in the night?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Xman do you think a 300BO SBR Suppressed would be good for bumps in the night?
Yes, there are some good subs out there for that purpose, e.g. Hornady 190 Sub-X. Folks were always amazed at how quite the BO was subsonic. TTSX will be effective but with overpenetration.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The only use i would have would be 8- 10" with suprssor and cavity back bullets subs .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
S&B makes 200gr subs that sell for about $12/box of 20 or less. 300BO is made for subsonic and a suppressor.
Too bad they are OOS everywhere. During this whole mess I finally put that 8.5: 300 BO pistol together that's been sitting in a box for about a year, and I;ve only got a couple hundred rounds. Fortunately I picked up a 500 ct box of 180gr Berrys before they sold out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
X man, I have a business acquaintance that was sighting in his sons 25.06 Winchester. Was also checking zero on his 308. Reached into the wrong box and single loaded a 308 into the 25-06. One squeeze of the trigger resulted in a destroyed model 70. I Never take 2 different calibers to the shooting bench. Only good thing to come of this was he only had a few minor scratches on his cheek. Very lucky!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I read all over the place about guys jumping through hoops trying to get a 300BO pistol to cycle/feed/ eject, with subsonic ammo and they are obviously spending a lot of $$$ doing it. I'm trying to understand this.

If they want to shoot a heavy bullet and subsonic velocities, just about any handgun from 45ACP up will do that. Is the short barrel pistol thing just a cult or something?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
There a lot of bad 300 BO barrels out there with the wrong twist or gas length.
To shoot subsonic in a 300 BO reliably, you have to get a barrel that is pistol length gas system regardless of barrel length. This is crucial. Too many barrels were manufactured with carbine gas thinking that was the correct gas tube length.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
I had zero malfunctions or cycling problems with my Palmetto State 8.5" 300 BO. I was casting bullets at 243 grains and never even tried anything but hand loads in it. Starline brass, 10.5 and 11 grains of CFE Black both cycled with no problems. Suppressed or not didn't matter.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What are your plans for the rifle other than suppressed. Hunting, range toy or something in between?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Sorry, shooting hogs. Basically looking for info and personal experience of the performance differences between the two within 100 yards.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I read all over the place about guys jumping through hoops trying to get a 300BO pistol to cycle/feed/ eject, with subsonic ammo and they are obviously spending a lot of $$$ doing it. I'm trying to understand this.

If they want to shoot a heavy bullet and subsonic velocities, just about any handgun from 45ACP up will do that. Is the short barrel pistol thing just a cult or something?
Short barrels have their place. My Banshee is an 8" barrel. Just depends on what you intend to use it for. I always thought the AR was a perfect platform for a pistol carbine. A 10mm handgun get about 1300 fps with underwood 180s. My banshee will get about 1500 fps. The big difference is being in an AR it barely kicks at all (some of that is probably CMMG's brake). I can reliably hit targets at 100 with it. I wouldn't try that shot with a pistol. I could probably hit at at 200, but my optic is just a red dot so I haven't tried. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts