6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
All my friends jumped on the PRC wagon so I decided to do something different. After reading for a full day about the new 6.8 Western I found a dealer that deals directly with Browning. They are going into production with this rifle but the release (if everything goes right) will be the end of this year. The only way to get one now is order one. Browning is making them as they are special ordered so I ordered the XBolt Western Hunter Long Range in the 6.8 Western 26 inch barrel. :)!!! They also redid the muzzle brake to reduce kick!!. I ordered Winchester 165 Grain bullets, I now have 8 Boxes. I also made a call to Redding and spoke to one of the big wigs?? they made a handful of dies for [email protected] but they are all gone, they gave me a number to Graf & Sons so I called them and had them order a two die set for the 6.8 Western. The wait time from Redding because they are so far behind is eight months to a year. Browning did not say when the rifle will be made but one of my first conversations with them was it could take up to eight weeks or more. I am hoping that Redding will somehow let the order slip in there,, but they are behind on every piece of reloading equipment they deal with?? I will keep my fingers crossed. The 6.8 Western is supposed to be a nice rifle to shoot as I want to reach out and shoot some distance. The only thing I did not like was between Browning and Winchester is that they are offering this rifle in way to many models!!:) it was hard making a decision and writing down all the differences and reading about them all!!:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Now that I think about it...why wouldn't a custom rifle in 270 WSM with a fast twist barrel and longer freebore be just as good if not better?

Just thinking out loud. Of course you wont find that in a factory offering.
After looking at the pic posted earlier, I thought the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
218 Posts
After looking at the pic posted earlier, I thought the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The long-freebore, fast-twist 270 WSM would hold more powder than the 6.8 Western. The longer bullets would not fit into a short action magazine, though, not even the Winchester and Browning short actions, which are longer than most (roughly 3"). It should work an an action designed for the 30-06, however.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The long-freebore, fast-twist 270 WSM would hold more powder than the 6.8 Western. The longer bullets would not fit into a short action magazine, though, not even the Winchester and Browning short actions, which are longer than most (roughly 3"). It should work an an action designed for the 30-06, however.
Savage 110 in 270 WSM is a long action and has room in the magazine for the longest of Bullets. All that is needed is a barrel with long freebore and a fast twist.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The responses in this thread have me thinking about heavy bullets for my 7 mag. I have been researching the Berger 190 and 195 grain 7mm bullets. Good results from a long barrel and a 1 in 8 twist, custom throat. I have seen velocities posted at around 2900 FPS. It would be an interesting project, unfortunately I wouldn’t have anywhere to test performance at long range to see the benefits of the heavies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All my friends jumped on the PRC wagon so I decided to do something different. After reading for a full day about the new 6.8 Western I found a dealer that deals directly with Browning. They are going into production with this rifle but the release (if everything goes right) will be the end of this year. The only way to get one now is order one. Browning is making them as they are special ordered so I ordered the XBolt Western Hunter Long Range in the 6.8 Western 26 inch barrel. :)!!! They also redid the muzzle brake to reduce kick!!. I ordered Winchester 165 Grain bullets, I now have 8 Boxes. I also made a call to Redding and spoke to one of the big wigs?? they made a handful of dies for [email protected] but they are all gone, they gave me a number to Graf & Sons so I called them and had them order a two die set for the 6.8 Western. The wait time from Redding because they are so far behind is eight months to a year. Browning did not say when the rifle will be made but one of my first conversations with them was it could take up to eight weeks or more. I am hoping that Redding will somehow let the order slip in there somehow but they are behind on every piece of reloading dies. Supposed to be a nice rifle to shoot as I want to reach out and shoot some distance. The only thing I did not like was between Browning and Winchester they are offering this rifle in way to many models!!:) it was hard making a decision and writing down all the differences and reading about them all!!:)
If you don’t mind, could you say what dealer works directly with Browning? I’ve got my name down at the local dealer here for a Hells Canyon Max Long Range but he had no idea when rifles might come in. Crazy enough, but I already have 3 boxes of the 165 ABLR cartridges on hand so I have something to sight in and hunt with when rifle arrives.
I’d love to get something set. I wasn’t real confident in the “I’ll write your name and number down and call you when they come in” as I’m concerned they’d just sell it out from under me. He said he had a rep but I’m not sure it’s directly with Browning.
Have my first ever elk hunt scheduled in November and wanna test that baby out if we’re lucky enough to see a legal bull.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sent you a PM ( private message). ^^^
I am supposed to have mine in the May to June timeline which is almost four to six months sooner than when they are do for release.
The only way to get this rifle is to special order one. If you do not special order one then you will not be able to get one until they are released and I was told that Is the end of the third quarter this year. The way things look it would be like trying to find the Colt Python in 357 in the 2020 model!!:) the only way I see to get one of them is try to get one on an auction and those are way over priced!!!! like every thing else these days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Meanwhile on the velocity side of the equation, the 6.8 mm Western ABLR stays supersonic for approximately 1,600 yds. and remains above the transonic range out well beyond 1,000 yds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found some brass, and early this morning 165 grain bullets are showing up on sites. Was able to order two packs of 100, and s few days ago I scored some powder, and primers are on the way. All I need now is the two die set from Redding and I’ll be good to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Added to the reloading bag yesterday. The pilot/bushing for the case trimmer showed up. Bullets are supposed to show up this morning and that will be it. The two die set will take a few more months and the rifle is due in the May June time frame!!:)

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I already have 3 boxes of the 165 ABLR cartridges on hand so I have something to sight in and hunt with when rifle arrives. .... Have my first ever elk hunt scheduled in November and wanna test that baby out if we’re lucky enough to see a legal bull.
The ABLRs are very soft to allow for expansion at extremely long hunting ranges (e.g., 1000 yds). The 150 ABLR in my 270 Win inside 500 yards fragmented more than any other bullet I have tested leaving only 55 grains to penetrate (equivalent to a .223 bullet). The ABLR are not constructed similar to the typical AB. The ABLR bullets were so soft that I could not use a collet puller to remove the bullet from a case. Just bringing this up so if you do use the ABLR on an elk, avoid a shot that would need deep penetration.

Reactions: earlytom

·
Registered
21 Posts
165 Grain 277 Nosler Accubond Long Range showed up today ( two boxes). More STUFF in the collection!!:) Tried to add a picture but the icons wouldn’t let anything happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sent you a PM ( private message). ^^^
I am supposed to have mine in the May to June timeline which is almost four to six months sooner than when they are do for release.
The only way to get this rifle is to special order one. If you do not special order one then you will not be able to get one until they are released and I was told that Is the end of the third quarter this year. The way things look it would be like trying to find the Colt Python in 357 in the 2020 model!!:) the only way I see to get one of them is try to get one on an auction and those are way over priced!!!! like every thing else these days.

Mind if I get your contact for a rifle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
All my friends jumped on the PRC wagon so I decided to do something different. After reading for a full day about the new 6.8 Western I found a dealer that deals directly with Browning. They are going into production with this rifle but the release (if everything goes right) will be the end of this year. The only way to get one now is order one. Browning is making them as they are special ordered so I ordered the XBolt Western Hunter Long Range in the 6.8 Western 26 inch barrel. :)!!! They also redid the muzzle brake to reduce kick!!. I ordered Winchester 165 Grain bullets, I now have 8 Boxes. I also made a call to Redding and spoke to one of the big wigs?? they made a handful of dies for [email protected] but they are all gone, they gave me a number to Graf & Sons so I called them and had them order a two die set for the 6.8 Western. The wait time from Redding because they are so far behind is eight months to a year. Browning did not say when the rifle will be made but one of my first conversations with them was it could take up to eight weeks or more. I am hoping that Redding will somehow let the order slip in there,, but they are behind on every piece of reloading equipment they deal with?? but I will keep my fingers crossed. The 6.8 Western is supposed to be a nice rifle to shoot as I want to reach out and shoot some distance. The only thing I did not like was between Browning and Winchester is that they are offering this rifle in way to many models!!:) it was hard making a decision and writing down all the differences and reading about them all!!:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
All my friends jumped on the PRC wagon so I decided to do something different. After reading for a full day about the new 6.8 Western I found a dealer that deals directly with Browning. They are going into production with this rifle but the release (if everything goes right) will be the end of this year. The only way to get one now is order one. Browning is making them as they are special ordered so I ordered the XBolt Western Hunter Long Range in the 6.8 Western 26 inch barrel. :)!!! They also redid the muzzle brake to reduce kick!!. I ordered Winchester 165 Grain bullets, I now have 8 Boxes. I also made a call to Redding and spoke to one of the big wigs?? they made a handful of dies for [email protected] but they are all gone, they gave me a number to Graf & Sons so I called them and had them order a two die set for the 6.8 Western. The wait time from Redding because they are so far behind is eight months to a year. Browning did not say when the rifle will be made but one of my first conversations with them was it could take up to eight weeks or more. I am hoping that Redding will somehow let the order slip in there,, but they are behind on every piece of reloading equipment they deal with?? but I will keep my fingers crossed. The 6.8 Western is supposed to be a nice rifle to shoot as I want to reach out and shoot some distance. The only thing I did not like was between Browning and Winchester is that they are offering this rifle in way to many models!!:) it was hard making a decision and writing down all the differences and reading about them all!!:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Ken, 6.8 browning ordered, expected eta ~2 months. 175g. sierra matchking pills arrived yesterday and now waiting for dies (showing up on Lee's website).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where were you able to preorder a 6.8 western? I have been trying to find or order, thanks
I have been looking for a 6.8 western to buy or order also. Would you share who you've had success with ordering a Winchester or Browning. Thanks

21 - 40 of 50 Posts