6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Winchester is jumping on the 6.8 bandwagon. Looks like a fat short magnum case. I couldn’t find any performance data in the link they sent in an email announcing the 6.8 western.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found some info. Looks like browning has a 175 grain sierra tipped game king load at 2835 feet per second at the muzzle. Winchester rifles will have a 1 in 8” twist, browning 1 in 7.5”. I wonder how it will stack up against the 7mm rem mag.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Only Winchester and Browning make rifles for the chambering as of right now. Perhaps more will come on board. Until then, shooters are limited to either a couple of options, or a full blown custom barreled action (with costs up and number of customers low). I'm surprised that they didn't standardize a twist rate between them...if they run into stability/accuracy issues with the 175gr bullets in the slower twist, it may be a serious problem in bringing new shooters in (again, only if it occurs).

Looks initially like a close enough competitor to the 7mm RM. Maybe just a touch less barrel life. I still think that the 7 mag will be more versatile with most factory twist offerings, and can be loaded a little hotter with the added case capacity.

Rolling the cartridge out when ammunition and components are at record high prices probably isn't going to help either, but I understand that they didn't want to invest that amount of time and money to shelf something for several years.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It is the 270 WSM with the case shortened to allow longer bullets and twist rate increased. It will be interesting to see at what range the new round overtakes the WSM, since the WSM case holds more powder. Here are the 270 WSM, 6.8 Westerner, and 270 Win side by side.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep, this is kind of like the 6mm Creedmoor Vs. the .243, or the 6.5 CM Vs. the .260 Remington. It is really going to be splitting hairs under 95% of the hunting situations.

·
Registered
218 Posts
One of the big recent changes is being able to know the exact range with laser rangefinders. Previously, with cartridges like the 7mm Mag and 300 Win Mag, the goal was to get a flat trajectory with high velocity because it was difficult to know the range. At longer distances, misjudging distance by even 50 yards could mean missing the vitals. This new generation is relatively slower, but the high BC reduces wind drift. The Max Point Blank Range of some of these new cartridges is actually less than that of previous ones, but as long as you can determine the exact range and have a dope card for your scope, you are still more likely to hit in the vitals.

Mostly, though, I think that these super long-range cartridges are for bragging rights about long shots.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One of the big recent changes is being able to know the exact range with laser rangefinders. Previously, with cartridges like the 7mm Mag and 300 Win Mag, the goal was to get a flat trajectory with high velocity because it was difficult to know the range. At longer distances, misjudging distance by even 50 yards could mean missing the vitals. This new generation is relatively slower, but the high BC reduces wind drift. The Max Point Blank Range of some of these new cartridges is actually less than that of previous ones, but as long as you can determine the exact range and have a dope card for your scope, you are still more likely to hit in the vitals.

Mostly, though, I think that these super long-range cartridges are for bragging rights about long shots.
That may very well be, but you have to admit it's a challenge (and a ton of fun) to ring steel at 1,000 yards or more.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That may very well be, but you have to admit it's a challenge (and a ton of fun) to ring steel at 1,000 yards or more.
The only thing that I could ring at 1,000 yards would be a doorbell with a very, very long cord.:)

You are right, though. That is how most of these extra long-range cartridges will be shot. I think that some long-range shooters have previously chambered WSM cartridges in long actions to be able to shoot the long-for-caliber bullets from magazines. I suspect that for the occasional giggle, a VLD bullet with a extra long ogive could single loaded into a WSM rifle.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Rolling the cartridge out when ammunition and components are at record high prices probably isn't going to help either, but I understand that they didn't want to invest that amount of time and money to shelf something for several years.
well it was supposed to be a shot show roll out im sure

Probably should have gone this route when they introduced the 270wsm

·
Registered
95 Posts
well it was supposed to be a shot show roll out im sure

Probably should have gone this route when they introduced the 270wsm
May have done a better job in longevity of the WSM. However I don't think that the craze for heavy for caliber bullets was really here yet when the WSMs were introduced.

I like seeing innovation. But the 6.8W is too stout for PRS, too light for ELR, and lacks the aftermarket options (at this point) for any type of F-class(ish) discipline. That means it is going to mostly appeal to hunters and perhaps people who just want to try something different for recreation.

It can still survive. Heck, the 6.5 PRC falls into this category too (much better bullet selection though), but is seeing decent popularity. It kind of falls in between every other .264 chambering. Maybe the 6.8W is going to do the same thing.

Time will tell. If it creates or maintains jobs here in America, I'm all for it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Now that I think about it...why wouldn't a custom rifle in 270 WSM with a fast twist barrel and longer freebore be just as good if not better?

Just thinking out loud. Of course you wont find that in a factory offering.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m glad to see that it’s not another 6.5 wonder cartridge. Bullet selection is slim as was previously stated. I did find Berger makes a 170 grain eol bullet that would be an option for handloaders. Supposedly the western will handle the lighter bullets down to 130 grains. Might as well stick with the wsm or weatherby mag if you go that light. The 27 nosler looks like a similar idea but only has one heavy bullet ammo offering in the 165 grain accubond.

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
Now that I think about it...why wouldn't a custom rifle in 270 WSM with a fast twist barrel and longer freebore be just as good if not better?

Just thinking out loud. Of course you wont find that in a factory offering.
That is what I never understood about this or the Creedmoors. Why not just buy a throating reamer and shoot what ever length bullets you want without reducing powder capacity?

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Registered
218 Posts
That is what I never understood about this or the Creedmoors. Why not just buy a throating reamer and shoot what ever length bullets you want without reducing powder capacity?
That is what the people I had mentioned did. The main goal of the 6.8 Western was to get something to fit into a short action and its magazines. If you go to a longer action and use 30-06 length mags, you can gain back the powder capacity.

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
That is what the people I had mentioned did. The main goal of the 6.8 Western was to get something to fit into a short action and its magazines. If you go to a longer action and use 30-06 length mags, you can gain back the powder capacity.
Not sure I see how that works since the OAL of the 6.8 Western is longer than the OAL of the 270WSM.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not sure I see how that works since the OAL of the 6.8 Western is longer than the OAL of the 270WSM.
I was unclear in my post. If you are not limited by action length, you can utilize the extra powder capacity of the 270 WSM.
The OAL of 6.8 Western (2.995") is indeed longer than the 270 WSM (2.860), but it still fits in SOME short action rifles and their magazines. In particular, the Winchester and Browning ones. Here is a quote from the Browning press release:

"The 6.8 Western and the Browning X-Bolt. With a maximum cartridge length of only 2.995", the 6.8 Western falls into the short-action rifle realm. Short-action rifles offer the advantages of being faster cycling and lighter overall than their long-action counterparts. With comparable performance to many long-action magnums, there's little need to bring along the extra burden of a long-action magnum rifle."

It might fit into some other "short actions" as well. I found an post from the early 2000's that stated that at one time the Savage Model 10 center-feed, blind magazine was a touch over 3", but the removable mags in other Savage 10's were shorter. I don't know about the current models.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ahhhh... 2.995". So like the 6.5 PRC, it isn't going to be a plug and play rechamberiong in quite a few actions. Not that they can't be machined to work, but expect to pay more for the swap.

I was optimistic at first, but the more I hear the less I'm liking.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ahhhh... 2.995". So like the 6.5 PRC, it isn't going to be a plug and play rechamberiong in quite a few actions. Not that they can't be machined to work, but expect to pay more for the swap.

I was optimistic at first, but the more I hear the less I'm liking.
It does look like Winchester and Browning are playing a game of "It fits in OUR short actions, nana nana boo boo." Does anyone have a link to the max OAL for several different company's "short action" rifles? I did a quick look for rifles chambered in 6.5 PRC, for example, and it appears that not all of them were short actions. The problem is that you need to be familiar with a particular product line to know for certain. Companies tend to hide the fact that they need to use a longer action.

Years ago I could at least tell with Savage rifles. The models with two digits like 10 or 12 were short action and those with three like 110 were long actions. I just looked at their website and it looks like that distinction is gone.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My first thought on the 68 Western was, is this a joke? Even if I wanted one, where and when are we going to be able to get ammo for this or the new 68 SPC rounds?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts