6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at drill last weekend and my supervisor asks me the question that opens Pandora's Box; "If you were going to get one hunting rifle, what would you buy?" I clarified that he was talking about bolt action rifles and gave him my suggestion based on my budget and features that I like as the Mossberg MVP .308. I then went on to say I prefer AR 15's for modularity, ergonomics and that I am more used to them from my time in the military than a standard bolt action rifle. So I then gave him my preference for Maine as an AR in 6.8 due to commercially available ammo (he doesn't reload) and the myriad of other things the caliber has going for it. My supervisor is intrigued with the AR concept at this point as he hasn't thought of it before and he asks me how much it would cost. Pandora's Box opened again... He ended up asking me for a parts list. So I made one Saturday night for a simple, effective hunting rig sans optics for well under $600. Fast forward to today and he has all the parts on order and is asking for optic suggestions, which I have provided. So during next month's drill and week long exercise I will spend a couple nights assembling his AR and then we will go test fire it. It appears there is another happy customer in the works. This caliber seems to sell itself!

I'll report back next month.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Sells Itself

This caliber seems to sell itself.....
The platform and caliber sells itself if one simply takes the time to read, buy/build, and go hunting. Especially with SPCII/reloaded ammo.

A mature hog is a tuff beast. To see how this caliber dispatches one is a modern day testament to its stopping power......at ranges out past 200 yards! And for the most part, component bullets

The US military wants to prove their own point. So be it. We all know the secret is spreading. It's just a matter of time.

I believe anyone that does their due diligence and investigates all available AR calibers will arrive at 68fourms.com.

WE ALL DID! And glad to be here with you all!

Good job on the sale!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a 270 and bullets for it. Made it an easy sale for my next AR. Either way, sounds like he will enjoy his new AR.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
When I started looking for a beyond 200 yard carbine, the 6.8 SPC I was happy it went to 300 yards.

Now today Federal makes a 400 yard performing Factory SAAMI loading! In the 115 grain fusion that is a very affordable hunting bullet!

I'm surprised no one is making other forms of platforms to utilize this cartridge.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
That's awesome but the problem is most people believe the marketing sewage they are being covered with because they just don't know any better and don't research anything because they believe what they read.
Otherwise the 300 BS would be seen as only a breacher sub round for tactical use and not be slathered up as a suitable hunting round lumped in with the 68SPC.
But sheeple know what sheeple are told so keep fighting the good fight.

·
Administrator
22,080 Posts
For me... I was looking for an AR caliber I could legally use for hunting medium sized game here in WA State. I was given two to eyeball. The 6.5 and the 6.8. I did a little reading on forums, and couldn't swallow the 6.5 fanboi stuff that was being tossed around left/right. The mood here was MUCH more realistic and down to earth.

I joined here, and started reading old threads to gain a perspective, then started asking a few questions to get some clarification on some facets of the caliber. I pained over various vendors from here on where to dive in at. What really pushed it over the edge for me to go with an ARP barrel was the flood of advice/participation offered here by Constructor. Others were more active here than they are now... but, the notion of being able to asked the horse's mouth (so to speak) was a big deciding factor for me. No regrets at all. I wanted a pistol as well, so, I have a Bison Armory barrel as well... but, the three ARP barrels are my favorites.

And, the more I read, the more I came to the realization that the two calibers are closer in performance than MOST of the 6.5 fanois want to admit to. I've been in with both hooves here since my decision to join.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
That's awesome but the problem is most people believe the marketing sewage they are being covered with because they just don't know any better and don't research anything because they believe what they read.
Otherwise the 300 BS would be seen as only a breacher sub round for tactical use and not be slathered up as a suitable hunting round lumped in with the 68SPC.
Extremely good post! I wish we had a "like" button.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
$600 for a 6.8? care to share the parts list, I assume it is a no frills configuration? I always recommend the 6.8 but only use the ARP barrels and bolts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$600 for a 6.8? care to share the parts list, I assume it is a no frills configuration? I always recommend the 6.8 but only use the ARP barrels and bolts
It was an ARP barrel and AIM phosphate BCG. He isn't going through carbine courses and is just going to use it to hunt and shoot with from time to time. At least that is the impression I got, so I recommended the AIM setup to start with for lighter use. The rest was Anderson upper, lower and LPK. MOE buffer kit w/stock, A2 hider, YHM GB, Young Mfg free float tube, generic charging handle and gas tube. That's about it. He went with a Weaver V7 2-7x32 to start with too. Oh, and a Primary Arms basic scope mount. Like I said, no frills and gets the job done. He did state that he just wanted to start simple and upgrade later.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Thanks, that is a good basic rifle that get him into the 6.8 cheaply. The reason I asked is someone was complaining on FB the 6.8 was too expensive to build.

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Thanks, that is a good basic rifle that get him into the 6.8 cheaply. The reason I asked is someone was complaining on FB the 6.8 was too expensive to build.
Seems to be a common misconception. Critics price LWRCI bolts, PRI mags, and Remington CLUB ammo to needlessly inflate the price.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Last summer I picked up a 6.8 PSA complete upper, PSA complete lower(blem), PSA chrome FA BCG(blem), PSA charging handle, 2 x ASC mag, plus shipping, tax and FFL transfer for under $600

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I told him you go as expensive or as cheap as you want, which is the beauty of the AR. Most prevelant calibers can be made for roughly the same price +/- a few bucks. If they are pricing six8 receivers and gas pistons with all the tactical Gucci crap you can put on the rifle, then yeah $600 is a pipe dream. But plain jane and shopping for parts will get you into a nice AR to start with. I was lucky and was able to find the parts at only a few vendors to save on shipping too.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Can you please post precisely what a "suitable" hunting round is? I thought I had killed a bunch of deer with everything from 22 LR to 45-70 (including 300 BLK), but apparently I have a bunch of deer running around that need their venison sausage back.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
While paying ATT $350 a month for a cell phone and U-Verse.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I bought an upper on here for $450.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It was an ARP barrel and AIM phosphate BCG. He isn't going through carbine courses and is just going to use it to hunt and shoot with from time to time. At least that is the impression I got, so I recommended the AIM setup to start with for lighter use. The rest was Anderson upper, lower and LPK. MOE buffer kit w/stock, A2 hider, YHM GB, Young Mfg free float tube, generic charging handle and gas tube. That's about it. He went with a Weaver V7 2-7x32 to start with too. Oh, and a Primary Arms basic scope mount. Like I said, no frills and gets the job done. He did state that he just wanted to start simple and upgrade later.
I was able to put together a nice, no frills rifle for similar cash. PSA 16" upper. Anderson Lower, Charging Handle & Buffer Tube. ALG ACT Trigger. Magpul Stock & Forend. Stag Bolt in a generic carrier. Primary Arms basic scope mount with a Simmons 3-9x40 scope I had laying around.

I could have saved some money if I skipped the Magpul components and ALG trigger, but still that's not a lot of cash for a few minor upgrades. I will mount a better optic before next year's rifle season (probably a Vortex or Redfield 2-7x32), but other than that, I think it's a good hunting rig. It doesn't have a free floated barrel, but I tend to shoot all my deer inside of 100 yards and from either improvised rests or off hand, so I'm certain the loss of accuracy from a regular hand guard won't be noticed.

Nothing wrong with spending more $ for better quality, but I think some people don't realize the bar for entry into a decent 6.8 rig with hunting accuracy is not as high as they believe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts