6.8 SPC Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Evidently it went to sleep too early because I still run into people who are trying to decide or who have recently drank the GRENDEL COOL AID.

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ha Ha, this is not the only thread like that. Some of these threads have outlasted the energizer bunny and then some. Having said that, I was originally leaning towards the 6.5 G, but the more research I did the more I realized the 6.8 SPC just works better out of a shorter barrel then the 6.5 G does. IMHO the 6.8 is better out to about 300 (maybe 350yds with the right loads) and they both are about the same out to 400yds maybe even 450yds depending on the load. i am seriously think of hunting ELK with my 6.8 SPC (out to 300yds). I also believe the 6.8 SPC can be hand loaded to out preform the 6.5 G out to 450 yds. Could be wrong, but that's what I believe.
I am 400% confident that the Grendel forums would argue the exact same points...but in favor of their champion :D .

The bad part is that with careful loading, and tweaking parameters to suit their argument points...nobody is really wrong.

Going to a 6.8 forum and arguing for the Grendel is pointless...likewise doing the opposite and arguing for the 6.8 over there.

I own both, have killed more than a couple hogs with both (three bullet types in each chambering so far...looking to do six), and have no dog in the fight on either side. So I just randomly appear on these forums occasionally to get bludgeoned by the eight regular members because my underwear doesn't have a 6.5 or 6.8 superhero on it.

I really do like my 6.8 by the way. I’ve killed about 200 hogs with it, and as long as I get a good bullet near where it needs to be, the animal dies in sight. Hard to argue against that.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I am 400% confident that the Grendel forums would argue the exact same points...but in favor of their champion :D .

The bad part is that with careful loading, and tweaking parameters to suit their argument points...nobody is really wrong.

Going to a 6.8 forum and arguing for the Grendel is pointless...likewise doing the opposite and arguing for the 6.8 over there.

I own both, have killed more than a couple hogs with both (three bullet types in each chambering so far...looking to do six), and have no dog in the fight on either side. So I just randomly appear on these forums occasionally to get bludgeoned by the eight regular members because my underwear doesn't have a 6.5 or 6.8 superhero on it.

I really do like my 6.8 by the way. I’ve killed about 200 hogs with it, and as long as I get a good bullet near where it needs to be, the animal dies in sight. Hard to argue against that.
You are 100% correct , they argue , we don't have to argue we state the real world numbers and debate . The 6.8 does everything the 6.5 can do and more out to max . reasonable hunting distance , and does it with a shorter barrel . If all you want to do is kill steel targets past ethical shooting ranges for either cartridge the 6.5 has the edge . Of course most people would not choose either for long range and would go . 224v . I have also owned and shot both and have yet to see anyone show numbers to prove me wrong . That is why this subject doesn't go away , people argue about things they can't sensibly debate because the numbers are not on their side .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Obviously I'm about the 6.8. I've had several. My favorite is the 12.5". If I want "long range" I grab my AR10 or bolt gun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have both. I use the 6.8 in tree stand wooded areas with 18" barrel. Very solid performer with 100gr GMX. (I'm in California :() I use the 6.5 also in tree stands in open field situations where I can reach out over 300 yards. I have a 22" barrel on the 6.5 specifically for this purpose. I have had similar performance and knockdown ability that my .280 Remington has provided for many years.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Similar energy, bullet weights and case capacities....I would expect fairly similar performance on game animals and other soft targets. But that is a point where there is a divergence. Other elements matter as well, especially for combat applications that 6.8 SPC was originally designed for:

1. Feed reliability is simply better with less case taper (5.45 AR's are a good example of why that is)
2. Barrier blind performance is not very good with 6.5mm projectiles (too much CG shift on impact, causing them to yaw as they pass through the barrier then have inadequate penetration coming out the other side)
3. Short barrel performance matters because not many tactical applications use barrels in the 20" + range unless it's for legitimate long range (over 600 yards) in which case your NOT going to effectively use 6.5 G even if it can make it that far due to the horrible terminal performance at that range. Neither 6.8 Grendel or 6.8 SPC are long range cartridges, they are mid-range cartridges. 6.5 Creedmoor or .338 Lapua are much better choices for real distance work.

If your goal is hunting and precision target shooting with longer barrels, I think Grendel is a better choice as the cartridge's strengths play to those two roles. If your application is hunting both game AND bad people, 6.8 SPC is better suited due to the other factors.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts