6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The higher BC bullets of the 6.5 probably will go through smaller varmints I don't want them to with to much over penetration power.

bullet choice comes to mind with a statment like that. i hear even the tnt's will go clean thru a deer out of 6.8...but i agree with you about one having more pentential to penetrate the deepest. i'm not sure how much energy is lost once a bullet comes into contact with a target, but i'm sure it's gotta be atleast over 60%.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Higher BC doesnt mean more penetration, Bullet construction is what makes a bullet penetrate or not....

·
Registered
415 Posts
6.8 hands down...:a37::a44::a04::a21::a15:

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
For killing paper at extreme ranges the nod goes to the .264 LB AR due to the good choice of high BC bullets. Shooting animals at the same distances is irresponsible, especially with some of the better BC bullets as they are not designed as game/expanding bullets.

For hunting the 6.8 may have a very slight edge in that the original designers were looking for a combination of performance and killing power. They tested all the diameters and found that the 6.8 gave them more of what they were looking for than any other caliber.

For me the 6.8 filled the bill of what I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Higher BC doesnt mean more penetration, Bullet construction is what makes a bullet penetrate or not....
no, but bullets with a higher S.D. do and usually bullets with a higher B.C. also have a higher S.D.... def. bullet constuction plays the biggest role hear. for busting critters and maybe taking out a deer or two i think maybe the v-max may be a good choice. + jst about any bullet in the neck or head of a hog will do the trick also.

"The sectional density of a projectile can be employed in two area of ballistics. Within external ballistics, when the sectional density of a projectile is divided by its form factor it yields the projectile's ballistic coefficient.
Within terminal ballistics, the sectional density of a projectile is one of the determining factors for projectile penetration. The interaction between projectile (fragments) and target media is however a complex subject. A study regarding hunting bullets shows that besides sectional density several other parameters determine bullet penetration.<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[1]</SUP> Only if all other factors are equal, the projectile with the greatest amount of sectional density will penetrate the deepest."

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
no, but bullets with a higher S.D. do and usually bullets with a higher B.C. also have a higher S.D.... def. bullet constuction plays the biggest role hear. for busting critters and maybe taking out a deer or two i think maybe the v-max may be a good choice. + jst about any bullet in the neck or head of a hog will do the trick also.

"The sectional density of a projectile can be employed in two area of ballistics. Within external ballistics, when the sectional density of a projectile is divided by its form factor it yields the projectile's ballistic coefficient.
Within terminal ballistics, the sectional density of a projectile is one of the determining factors for projectile penetration. The interaction between projectile (fragments) and target media is however a complex subject. A study regarding hunting bullets shows that besides sectional density several other parameters determine bullet penetration.<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[1]</SUP> Only if all other factors are equal, the projectile with the greatest amount of sectional density will penetrate the deepest."
I asked Doc about it and he told me BC doesn't play a role.

I never try to shoot animals in the head, and even the neck can be a risky shot, I always try to place my bullet just like I would an arrow.... right behind the front leg angle towards the off side shoulder about a third of the way up the body, and I want a bullet to exit.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
ask him about sectional density(bullets mass & diam.). then ask him if bullets with higher b.c.'s also usually have a higher s.d... .243, .257,.264,.277,.284 wtvr.

you could say a bullet with a higher b.c. will penetrate more since it also proly has a higher s.d. as long as their traveling at relativly the same speeds....but thts' not a really a correct statement.

fps changes a bullets b.c., but not it's s.d....so then yes a bullets b.c. does not determine how well it will pentetrate. that number usually determines how well it cuts thru the air.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Well perhaps he will chime in...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
hell man, i was agreeing with you in post #25...i'm not wrong with what i said tho....

no, but bullets with a higher S.D. do and usually bullets with a higher B.C. also have a higher S.D.... def. bullet constuction plays the biggest role hear.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/sd.htm
i copied this from the chuck hawks website:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/sd.htm

"SD is important because it has a significant effect on penetration. Other things being equal (like impact velocity, bullet design and material, etc.) the higher the SD number, the better the bullet's penetration. In other words, a skinny bullet of a given weight tends to penetrate better than a fat bullet of the same weight, because it concentrates the same force on a smaller area of the target. For example, if other factors are equal, a 150 grain .270 bullet will penetrate better than a 150 grain .35 caliber bullet"

real life stuff varies from whats supposed to happen tho...jst shoot what you got and be happy. all this means shit if you miss your target!! don't worry tho the same weight bullets in 6mm cal. have better bc & sd then in 6.5 call...:a31:

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I am not disagreeing I am just stating I dont know if the Higher SD has a significant factor or not and said that I would like Doc to chime in since I honestly dont know.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
As far as barrel suggestions.

Noveske
AR Performance
Bison Armory
Wilson Combat

Just to name some in NO particular order. There is a barrel from the above mfg's in almost every price range. They all will shoot very well.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Well for long range shooting for them small evil vile critters like gophers the 264 LBC would be handy for that long range is what I meant/said. :a39: Not for deer over 400 yards...still a long range shot.

I read on the 6.5 G forums of the 120 grain Nosler Accubond even had trouble at closer range performance at taking deer. The person said was going for the 120 Barnes TSX next. To me this proves that the 6.8 SPC as it was intentionally designed for performance on mid sized subjects, two or 4 legged. (See how I used a nice non offensive and PC way to say killing humans! :a15: ) At ranges out to 300 yards with decent performance, now 400 with the SPEC II chamber and barrel twist if sufficient length barrel is used. That's why I'm going to be keeping my 6.8 SPC gun and add more when I can. But still I'm keeping an eye open for when some one makes an affordable 264 LBC.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Give AR Performance a holler, they'll take good care of you. There are a lot of other one's here that are great as well, but these guys put up with all of my aggravating questions, and days and days of indecision, and weeks, and weeks of delay time for the finances to get in order, and still more questions, and then a last minute order change. I would have told myself to get lost, to put it in a pretty way. They were great, and the shipping and production was fast. The product actually beautiful and it shoots great. I will be ordering another upper from them for my son, although it will probably be 5.56. The price was amazing for what you get, basically a custom upper for the price of a cheaper factory model. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
11 year old thread.
The statement from 68spc is still valid to this day, no?

I was in early and had to ream chambers like so many others. I'm still shooting Kotinic barrels :) I loved the 6.8 enough I had a bolt rifle built off a Stiller action...18" SS Hart barrel. 300 yards and under, 6.8 over AA 6.5 IMHO. 6.8 is no "extreme" round but sure as hell that 270 bullet just has some awesome sauce and kills well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you are going to SBR it, go with the 6.8, that's where it really shines. When you see all the 6.5s numbers, they are usualy based off of at least a 20 inch barrel. The 6.8 is efficient and doesn't loose much from a 12 in barrel
Exactly. Decide your barrel length, then choose the cartridge accordingly. I chose a 12.5” barrel because I shoot everything suppressed and wanted to stay short. Therefore went 6.8 after studying the subject for months. It has become my favorite hunting rifle for pretty much everything. A 120gr SST at 2450 out of this little barrel kills deer dead with ease. It’s about 175 fps faster than my buddy’s 12” 6.5G with the 123 SST. For my hunting needs of basically 200 yards tops, the 6.8 wins.

Also keep in mind when folks talk about the G at long range, that has nothing to do most of the time with hunting, but rather banging steel. Both cartridges should not be used for long range hunting due to not only relatively low energy (energy doesn’t kill in and of itself) but rather, bullet velocity expansion threshold and overall performance.

But it’s not like the 6.8 drops out of the sky at 300 yards if you do want to plink at steel at longer ranges. I used to routinely take that 12.5 6.8 to 820 yards (farthest target at my range) and hit steel just for fun. 11 mils drop. Granted it’s not the easiest thing in the world, especially with 6x top end, but it’s a lot of fun and totally doable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This...thread...will...not...die...

But I guess we could revive it a while just to beat that dead horse a little more :D.

To contribute: Within the ranges/velocity that bullets are designed to perform...game animals can't tell a difference.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have two 6.8ARP barreled ARs. One is a 16” the other is a 12.5” I hunt with and target shoot the 16” more often than the 12.5” I have harvested two nice Utah Mulies with the 16” and factory Hornady 120SST and hand loaded 90TTSX.
That being said, I always seem to gravitate to my 18” Odin barreled 6.5Grendel for most my hunting here in northern UT. I don’t have as much trigger time behind that upper, but when I am behind it, it just darn shoots. And that gives me confidence in the rifle. I have harvested two Mulies with the Grendel one at 325 the other at 425yrds.
It’s all about personal preference, choose one or both and just go slay it out there

16” ARP , 150yrds , 120SST complete pass through as it was qtr’n away from me

·
Registered
508 Posts
This...thread...will...not...die...

But I guess we could revive it a while just to beat that dead horse a little more :D.

To contribute: Within the ranges/velocity that bullets are designed to perform...game animals can't tell a difference.
Ha Ha, this is not the only thread like that. Some of these threads have outlasted the energizer bunny and then some. Having said that, I was originally leaning towards the 6.5 G, but the more research I did the more I realized the 6.8 SPC just works better out of a shorter barrel then the 6.5 G does. IMHO the 6.8 is better out to about 300 (maybe 350yds with the right loads) and they both are about the same out to 400yds maybe even 450yds depending on the load. i am seriously think of hunting ELK with my 6.8 SPC (out to 300yds). I also believe the 6.8 SPC can be hand loaded to out preform the 6.5 G out to 450 yds. Could be wrong, but that's what I believe.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts