6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to this forum. Any info and help would be great. I have been thinking about getting a 6.8 to do some hunting and target shooting. What I am undecided about is what are the pros and cons of the 6.8 vs. the 6.5 Grendel. I have been doing alot of research but I figured why not ask people who own shoot and hunt with the 6.8!! Any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
oh man, this topic has been beat to death almost. tons of information if you do some reading around tho. main thing i see is more manufactures making stuff for 6.8 and more factory ammo. at first i was gonna get a 6.5g mainly because wolf made some cheap ammo for it. when i got to it and actually doing some research i easly made up mind and chose the 6.8.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I am new to this forum. Any info and help would be great. I have been thinking about getting a 6.8 to do some hunting and target shooting. What I am undecided about is what are the pros and cons of the 6.8 vs. the 6.5 Grendel. I have been doing alot of research but I figured why not ask people who own shoot and hunt with the 6.8!! Any feedback would be great.
I would honestly tell you to get both, then sell the one you like/use the least. If that were the case with me, I would end up selling my 6.5G, but since I never sell ARs, I guess I'll keep it to tune up some more loads...

·
9,188 Posts
Welcome Aboard. I agree with what Quicksilver said.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ask yourself & be honest as to what your intended use is, do a bit of reading thru the forums here & you will come to your own conclusion. Choose what you feel will be the best for you.

Thats what I did & I am working on my 3rd 6.8 build.

I am happy with the round & the fact it fits the AR pattern.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I went through this decision in October-November. I do have Mauser-based bolt rifles in 270 Win and 264 Win Mag ... so bullet diameter choice did not impact the decision. The real magic of the 6.5mm is the aerodynamics of the bullet. They fly very, very well and that provides good performance at extended range.

My 264 Win Mag rifle is a tack driver and would be my choice for very long ranges. I personally think 300-400 yards with a AR platform is plenty. Especially when I could only get 2600 fps out of a 120 gr bullet with the Grendel and 3300 fps with the 264 Win Mag.

I was also a little concerned about the amount of material in a 6.5 Grendel AR bolt in comparison to the 6.8 SPC bolt. Not sure I thing the 6.5 Grendel bolt can be as strong or last as long.

So I went with 18" bbl 6.8 SPC AR.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Researching

Thanks for all the input. I am looking for a good hunting round in a AR platform but something I could also take to the range. At a later date I was going to SBR my lower and look at getting a can for my set-up. I will do somemore surfing around the forum. Thanks again for all of y'alls help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will tell you what made my decision between the two.

I don't plan to take shots on game out past 300 yds. - advantage 6.8

I didn't want a barrel longer than 16", easier to tromping through the woods. - advantage 6.8

If it comes down to finding boxes of factory ammo in the store - advantage 6.8

It made for an easy decision and I am patiently waiting for my barrel from ARP to get here.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
6.8 starts out fast. In proper specs with tac loads it can to 400 yards easy for taking medium game even farther is 20 inch barrels. It was meant to be effective at closer range was the reason it was made in 6.8, but be effective out to Mid range.

6.5 relies on its high BC for finishing faster at longer ranges. Where by then most energy to take medium game is expended but may go 100 yards farther than the 6.8 in bullet performance. But at that range I'd use some thing bigger than a carbine cartridge.

Although I did get a 6.8 SPC in a Ruger Mini-14, the shooting ranges for out to 300 yards was good enough for a Carbine. But now I got it reamed to Spec II I am looking out to 400 yards for some types of bullets for deer. For me that's good enough for this versatile cartridge. Really a 300 yard shot or farther I'll use a bigger gun normally. For me the 6.8 SPC turned out to be more of a gun I needed. It can take down deer, for varmints like coyotes and foxes it doesn't dangerously over penetrate. But one thing I'll wait for is the .264 LBC in a few years and maybe add that to the rack. I am thinking of an AR build or out right buy. But its going to be a 20 inch 6.8 SPC for hunting, but since one can change barrels and such with an AR shorter barrels may follow. Well that's the plan.:a01:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was looking for an AR platform rifle with comparable ballistics to my .243 Winchester bolt action rifles at under 300 yards. The 85 and 90 grain 6.8 bullets fit my needs perfectly. My Bison Armory barreled 6.8 SPC carbine is now turning in many .5 MOA groups and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Due to the nature of this forum, people will obviously suggest the 6.8. It would be the option I would choose, its the most popular AR 15 variant. IF you decide on the 6.5, I'd go with the 264 LB AR (its the same as a 6.5 G but actually has some important data/safety to back it up from what I understand). Plus Les Baer has been making firearm parts and the like for years with great acclaim.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Any rig will do. Its up to you to do the homework and decide wether you can support what you choose to run, indefinately.
The beauty of the AR15 platform is the ability to have different calibers with only an upper swap.
There are calibers some favor over others but the versatility and adapdability of the platform makes it easy to figure out what your niche is and offers the ability to change that niche as you see fit. There are many impressive calibers that can be fired thru the AR15 and your mission is to select one that yields enough support(service, parts/ ammo etc) to keep it up and running for a long time.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
if you reload the 6.8 has an advantage over the 6.5g since you can drive the same weight bullets at higer velociey's. however the faster, fatter, lower b.c. bullets are also bleeding off fps faster as well and eventually the grendel will catch up to it....but in all reality 300 and maybe even 400 are the furthest shots anyone should take on an animal, with most being under 200yrds for sure. the avaliability of 6.8 stuff from several different manufactures makes the 6.8 a clear winner. if alexender arms would ever drop their friggin trademark and open it up to other venders and such then i may buy one myself, but for now i will concentrate on making my 6.8 a real shooter. also i'm not sure how true it is, but i also heard that AA screwed the guy over who helped create the round then cut him out of the deal with the whole trademark thing...pretty shitty in my book. i would look into a 6.5css if i did get one tho jst because it has a tighter chamber and if i did build one it would be more for punching paper tho since it would do me no good to try and kill a deer at more than 400yrds with one...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sold on the 6.8

Really good info and points that have been posted. The more I look at all the info and data the more I am looking at the 6.8!! Hell even the forum is easier to surf and get info than the 6.5 forum. Thanks for all of y'alls help and time. Now I need to find some quality barrels for the 6.8. Any advice on manufacturers? I am looking for a 12in and 14.5 upper? Does any have the numbers (velocity,energy,ect.,ect.) on the 12 and 14.5? I know it is problably posted somewhere on the forum but I figured I would ask.

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,688 Posts
Here we go..... Look at what you've done!

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Really good info and points that have been posted. The more I look at all the info and data the more I am looking at the 6.8!! Hell even the forum is easier to surf and get info than the 6.5 forum. Thanks for all of y'alls help and time. Now I need to find some quality barrels for the 6.8. Any advice on manufacturers? I am looking for a 12in and 14.5 upper? Does any have the numbers (velocity,energy,ect.,ect.) on the 12 and 14.5? I know it is problably posted somewhere on the forum but I figured I would ask.
here is a guy just sorting out his new sbr...shorter than you asked, but, it gives you an idea just how well the 6.8 comes out of a short barrel.

I just got done with my first in-depth range session with my 10.5 build using a Noveske barrel. Overall, very nice! I used two different loads from SSA. The 110 gr. Accubonds averaged 2420 fps with three shot groups running .75 or maybe a smidge tighter. The 85 gr TSX's averaged 2760 fps with three shot groups hovering right around an inch.

·
9,188 Posts
Due to the nature of this forum, people will obviously suggest the 6.8. It would be the option I would choose, its the most popular AR 15 variant. IF you decide on the 6.5, I'd go with the 264 LB AR (its the same as a 6.5 G but actually has some important data/safety to back it up from what I understand). Plus Les Baer has been making firearm parts and the like for years with great acclaim.

+1 I want to see how the new LB AR turns out.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
For a SBR the 6.8 is a good decision as it works great from short barrels you can find on this site by poking around. It's longer range potential is also phenomenal, remember this is round that fits an AR-15 platform types for performance, going 300-400 yards I think is phenomenal for deer sized game! The ideal barrel length is said to be 16" for it.

The .264 LBC I hope will come out made by other makers in the years to come and it would give the 6.8 SPC a good run for competition as from what I hear about any one can make/chamber it. (Correct me if I'm wrong here) I probably may get One even just for and to have a combo deer to a long range small critter killer. But the 6.8 SPC just offers to much ability for the regular hunting ranges for deer sized game from what I've seen, with out powerful over penetration even on varmints. That became a concern around dad's farm and such, that's why I'm glad I didn't get that 243 Winchester and 45 ACP at the time when I got my 6.8 SPC. The higher BC bullets of the 6.5 probably will go through smaller varmints I don't want them to with to much over penetration power. I typically use one bullet type and grain weight for all my hunting and varminting so don't mix HPs or fragmentation rounds or what ever there are out there, so the 6.8 SPC just has proven such a great carry around rifle.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts